XPO | Question

free_thinker

TB Lurker
Credits
If you can't always do both (which, obviously, is the goal), is it better to: a.) Be late to reship, and move all the freight that day; or b.) Be on time to reship, but let a substantial amount of freight sit until the next day?

Do any of you have this problem?

Thanks.

If you can't always do both (which, obviously, is the goal), is it better to: a.) Be late to reship, and move all the freight that day; or b.) Be on time to reship, but let a substantial amount of freight sit until the next day?

Do any of you have this problem?

Thanks.
We don't leave anything behind coming off of outbound,FAC is a differant story.

I've always believed in cut times.Cut times for P/D pickups,for loads heading to the FAC,for loads leaving the FAC and for the P/D runs,but as a driver I have no control over this. :cuss:

A lot of our freight is on time or it's on us. Can't haul freight for free and stay in business so like Jackpot says "better late than never." when it comes to leaving terminals. It has to move. It makes us who we are. Press on :1036316054:

Also depends what time the freight it picked up from the customer. If it's after 5pm...LET IT SIT! No sense screwing up the fac with freight that doesn't have to move, or isn't projected. {That's another subject....23 bill breakers full of unprojected freight.}

Also depends what time the freight it picked up from the customer. If it's after 5pm...let it sit. No sense screwing up the fac with freight that doesn't have to move, or isn't projected. {That's another subject....23 bill breakers full of unprojected freight.}
We pick up after 5 and we do better then most to the fac's. Don't let it sit, thats what the other guy's do.

But I think this happens too often; terminals sent late unprojected freight to the fac after the other drivers from distant terminals have left their barn. Linehaul sent 8 DSRs due to projections and your barn sent 4 more late trailers now we're 6 trailers over and they want us to break all the trailers to make cold loads, in order to keep the must move freight from being late, fac closes late, proper gets back to our terminal late, city dsr get to his delivery local late, doesn't have time to make all deliveries and misses pickups because he's late, gets back to terminal late..........are we seeing a pattern here? If it's late....let it sit!

I've been in the city for a couple of years and have heard many times from customers, "I didn't expect this shipment to get here so quick" or "This wasn't supposed to be here untill tomorrow, I don't have any room for it."

I think we kill ourselves (and damage freight) for a service that most people don't even care about. They are used to the slower transit times of other carriers, and are more concerned about getting their freight in one piece. Con-way shot themselves in the foot by putting a guarantee on everything. Just my opinion!

I say move it and get to FAC late. Not 4-5 hours late, though. There are always breakers sitting in the yard waiting to be backed in. Even the ones that are on time.

I've been in the city for a couple of years and have heard many times from customers, "I didn't expect this shipment to get here so quick" or "This wasn't supposed to be here untill tomorrow, I don't have any room for it."

I think we kill ourselves (and damage freight) for a service that most people don't even care about. They are used to the slower transit times of other carriers, and are more concerned about getting their freight in one piece. Con-way shot themselves in the foot by putting a guarantee on everything. Just my opinion!
They are paying more for service,Lets give it to them. There are a lot of third rated carriers out there that can move freight. I say let's do it better.

That's great and sounds real good until it puts the entire system in a bind. I've worked p&d a few yrs myself and I can tell you that a late start early in the week can screw the rest of the week up...by causing you to play catch up. Sure if you've got enough drivers you can just fire another one up and you're good, but if you're already pushed to the limit a late proper trailer can really make it tough and who should be held accountable for the freight that doesn't get delivered and pickups that don't get made? The p&d driver is one who's ball$ they want to bust frist. But it should go back to the sc that sent the freight to the fac late...for that matter it doesn't matter if it arrived late, if it brought work to the fac that was not expected when linehaul set the number of runs, then it's the fault of that sc, just as if they'd sent an unsecured load that shifted in transit...it's extra work plain and simple. Plus often trailers that are late on the outbound are loaded in a rush and where there could have been a headload built there wasn't time, which once again, causes more work at the fac. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind working, but I hate doing things needlessly. There is enough stupid $hit that goes on throughout freight movement we don't need anymore.

The goal being both, but the rule of thumb is pick it up & move it. A FAC can adjust but don`t leave for a FAC at 10 PM with a 5 hr drive. We are short drivers but usually pick up everything called in& move it. Once in a while the freight that is not projected sits, but now you are starting tommorow off on a bad note allready.

That's great and sounds real good until it puts the entire system in a bind. I've worked p&d a few yrs myself and I can tell you that a late start early in the week can screw the rest of the week up...by causing you to play catch up. Sure if you've got enough drivers you can just fire another one up and you're good, but if you're already pushed to the limit a late proper trailer can really make it tough and who should be held accountable for the freight that doesn't get delivered and pickups that don't get made? The p&d driver is one who's ball$ they want to bust frist. But it should go back to the sc that sent the freight to the fac late...for that matter it doesn't matter if it arrived late, if it brought work to the fac that was not expected when linehaul set the number of runs, then it's the fault of that sc, just as if they'd sent an unsecured load that shifted in transit...it's extra work plain and simple. Plus often trailers that are late on the outbound are loaded in a rush and where there could have been a headload built there wasn't time, which once again, causes more work at the fac. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind working, but I hate doing things needlessly. There is enough stupid $hit that goes on throughout freight movement we don't need anymore.
you are right. I had to lookup what head load meant.

can u say " CIRCLE OF LIFE " if some DSR's on p/d runs would pickup the pace and not come in late and still say :hissyfit: i had no lunch can you pay me for it :hissyfit: then this wood really help out alot
we have a whole bunch at 6:15 to 6:25 every nite like clock work come in at that time, no matter if they left with 8 stops or 14 stops, still the same. BUT OF course except fridays ( go figure ) and most that are doing this, run no more then 45 miles a day or less........

"COME ON"

can u say " CIRCLE OF LIFE " if some DSR's on p/d runs would pickup the pace and not come in late and still say :hissyfit: i had no lunch can you pay me for it :hissyfit: then this wood really help out alot
we have a whole bunch at 6:15 to 6:25 every nite like clock work come in at that time, no matter if they left with 8 stops or 14 stops, still the same. BUT OF course except fridays ( go figure ) and most that are doing this, run no more then 45 miles a day or less........ B]"COME ON"[/B]
By picking up the pace you don't mean by speeding or cutting corner that would cause our fellow co-owners to break company policy do you.

By picking up the pace you don't mean by speeding or cutting corner that would cause our fellow co-owners to break company policy do you.

"WELL OF COURSE NOT"

cant you see the red stains on my lips from the kool-aid :hysterical:

"COME ON"