XPO | Questions for Management!

You can make a wise man educated...but you simply cannot make an educated man wise...

Thank you very much i will stick to me grammar and spelling and lousy sentence structure and everything else...why??? because I can...

Oh and one has two options...look for the message or simply..not read it..either makes no difference to me...:smilie_132:

You can make a wise man educated...but you simply cannot make an educated man wise...

Thank you very much i will stick to me grammar and spelling and lousy sentence structure and everything else...why??? because I can...

:biglaugh: 10-4! .........To each his own! :1036316054:

Open book a.k.a. Policy Available At Anytime should save time, effort, money.:Rulz:

Everyone would know the rules, check whenever they need to and it would cause operations to flow more smoothly. Customers know that the LTL driver is knowledgeable and can ask the driver questions about deliveries, etc. My driver worked for a company that kept making policy, changing it the next day, etc. Then the company hired a salesman (use to sell shoes and clothes!!) and he went out, got a lot of irate customers. Irate because the drivers that happened to know federal laws/road rights told them they couldn't ship certain items, or to particular places. The company ended up selling and new owners knew what they were doing and managed to get the business up and going and it's still running today, nearly 30 years later.

Back when Conway first started they were open book, everyone worked together and Conway became #1.

I love examples and here's another:

What spectators (customers) would watch a ball game (ltl) when all of the referees (managers) have different rules, players (employees) are all over the field, knowing ONLY that they need to get the ball and head for goal? :deal:

Wouldn't take long for the spectators to lose interest and start watching another game. Unless they are fanatics about RASTLIN' where all rules are broken all of the time. Yessir, I do believe RASTLIN' is real!! .......right? :bgroovy: Maybe that last isn't a very good example, people watch because they know the rules will be broken and love to see the revenge.

Revenge..... powerful word there.

You guys that have valid points, common sense feel sometimes like all management hears is :BlahBlah: when you talk? I don't drive for them but I'm now getting a better feel for what my driver is going through. Besides lay out his clothes, run bathwater, bring his food to him and buy him goodies to eat while on the road AND tape all of his fave shows at night, I still feel like it's not enough to help him. *sigh*

A letter to poor Mr. Management!

Mr. Management!
Sir, I want to apologize for the attacks upon you. It is obvious that you are not at the top of the chain of command but in the middle management. Therefore you have been brainwashed by the Big Guys, probably by being tied to a chair and forced, yes FORCED to watch a Tom Cruise-style video until your mind was broken and you became easily reprogrammed by the Big Guys. Please sir, if you still have COMMON SENSE and I'm not talking about education, even a lot of morons can be educated, but COMMON SENSE that many get from living real life, going to the school of Hard Knocks, being out there on the road driving and dealing face to face with the actual Customers.

I urge you to RUN, not WALK to the nearest Brainwash deprogrammer and have him/her to reset your mind back to when you had common sense.

And in closing, please come again, listen to the legitimate gripes of these wonderful drivers, the very people that P&D, go face to face with the customers, put up with road rage from others that are impatient to be stuck behind a diesel that is nicknamed Turtle that is blowing black smoke and waste into their faces and still manage to keep ConWay in the top...er...4? 5? in the world of LTL.

Regards from:

A Driver's Wife That Has To Listen To His B*tching About How His Job Has Gone Downhill In The Past 5 Or So Years :chairshot:

Thank you for the warm welcome.....to answer your first question concerning policy manuals, it is simply a matter of cost. Currently alot of things are changing, so the book would not be accurate. Let me remind all that you can view the policy manual at any time...simply ask your TM.

If this topic gets hot, I am going to post this every so often so that we do not lose focus on the topics being discussed.
All questions and concerns should be directed at Management!, so that he/she may further clarify them.
I feel he/she is doing a fine job thus far and is playing by the rules. Hopefully he/she doesn't abandon his/her post, like some other one hit wonders in management have.

REMINDER

Follow the rules and debate maturely!​

In support of this point

In the words of Simon Cowell (American Idol Judge) "Not To Be Rude" but, the customers pay everyones salary.
Without customers, no one has a job.

It really does make a difference to spell and express yourself correctly. Everyone should preview their post and re-read it before submitting it. Sometimes it does make a difference whether you are taken seriously or not. I make my share of mistakes.

When we read the printed word, we are unfortunately without the benefit of tone and inflections that accompany the spoken word. Therefore, it is necessary for the reader to infer context and apply his own interpretation to the flow of the message being delivered. when the reader has to interupt this flow to decipher spelling, or try to make sense of grammatical errors, the message becomes lost, and possibly misinterpreted. It is your responsibility as a communicator to ensure that your message can be delivered as free from from errors as possible. It has nothing to do with College educated, self educated, or common sensically gifted, uneducated truck drivers or managers showing off or elevating their own glory. It is simple communication. Thanks for reading.

When we read the printed word, we are unfortunately without the benefit of tone and inflections that accompany the spoken word. Therefore, it is necessary for the reader to infer context and apply his own interpretation to the flow of the message being delivered. when the reader has to interupt this flow to decipher spelling, or try to make sense of grammatical errors, the message becomes lost, and possibly misinterpreted. It is your responsibility as a communicator to ensure that your message can be delivered as free from from errors as possible. It has nothing to do with College educated, self educated, or common sensically gifted, uneducated truck drivers or managers showing off or elevating their own glory. It is simple communication. Thanks for reading.
I shuld uv got a edecation. That way I wuld not have to drive this truk.

I shuld uv got a edecation. That way I wuld not have to drive this truk.

Lack of education has no impact on whether you drive a truck or not...i am an example of that, as I know of others as well...choice is the only deciding factor...i am living a dream...unfortunately it isnt the conway dream...it is my own...and as long as the enjoyment is there...i will continue to drive trucks at least while i am physically capable...

For what its worth (2 ounces of rat urine come to mind) i obtained my cdl because of a childhood fascination with the ability of man to create something as precisely engineered as a diesel engine to do what it does with the incredible power that it does...my primary education is in administration of justice formally known as criminal justice with a few minor sciences...

Lack of education has no impact on whether you drive a truck or not...i am an example of that, as I know of others as well...choice is the only deciding factor...i am living a dream...unfortunately it isnt the conway dream...it is my own...and as long as the enjoyment is there...i will continue to drive trucks at least while i am physically capable...

For what its worth (2 ounces of rat urine come to mind) i obtained my cdl because of a childhood fascination with the ability of man to create something as precisely engineered as a diesel engine to do what it does with the incredible power that it does...my primary education is in administration of justice formally known as criminal justice with a few minor sciences...
I was making a joke with the mis-spelled words. Lots of drivers have some type of formal education. It's a sad fact that we make more than a teacher with a Master's.

I was making a joke with the mis-spelled words. Lots of drivers have some type of formal education. It's a sad fact that we make more than a teacher with a Master's.

Yes it is a sad fact...well if you were a teacher anyways...for us..it is a great thing...and i know you were making a joke with that...even i couldnt spell that many words wrong..hahhaha..english wasnt too exciting for me ever...oh and still isnt

DW....thank you for the words of encouragement. I totally understand the people venting here on the boards. I will try my best to answer questions and if the answers are not agreed upon or accepted, well I understand that too. When you have 20,000+ people....most are happy and do a wonderful job and some, no matter what you do...will never be happy. Same rules apply to the folks on this board...I believe some have a legitimate concern (those I would love to help) and some will just join the negative bandwagon wether the issue applies to them or not, and then there are those who just want to stir the pot. It's not that hard to tell who's who. I know I will be chastised for this post but I am accepting of that fact.

DW....thank you for the words of encouragement. I totally understand the people venting here on the boards. I will try my best to answer questions and if the answers are not agreed upon or accepted, well I understand that too. When you have 20,000+ people....most are happy and do a wonderful job and some, no matter what you do...will never be happy. Same rules apply to the folks on this board...I believe some have a legitimate concern (those I would love to help) and some will just join the negative bandwagon wether the issue applies to them or not, and then there are those who just want to stir the pot. It's not that hard to tell who's who. I know I will be chastised for this post but I am accepting of that fact.
Where did you work? The G.O., a service center, linehaul........

Your quite welcome! :1036316054:
Very good post I might add!
You are right, it's not very hard to figure out who's who.
I really hope you are management!
If so, I really hope that every Con-way member on here reads your post, put the gloves down and get themselves ready for some good mature dialogue.
We don't want to issue any LOI's in here!

This is assuming you are indeed from the Crystal Palace.
Con-way has always been a chance taker and this message forum interaction might become some groundbreaking event.

When I posed the original question, not enough weight was given to accessibility in regards to our personnel policy guide. When consulting an attorney about alleged corporate misconduct, the first and foremost doc or instrument they request is a copy of the policy guide. Currently they now cannot have one or at the very least, one that can be deemed reliable.

One cannot help but notice how much Conway loves glossy paper and really slick and heavily produced videos. They are also adept knee jerk policy makers and buying another freight train of paper to communicate those sudden changes has historically not been a problem. We have deep pockets when the message is of value.

But lets forget the printed page and we still find that the guide is provided with built in road blocks and no allowances to generate a hard copy.

Guess I'm not satisfied with Management!'s answer but would like to thank him for giving it that ol' corporate try.

Let's give another question a shot in the next (#2) in a series of questions/new thread.
http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...t/33111-question-2-management.html#post315171

I had to laugh when reading the first issue of Inside Freight. I didn't even get past the first page were Miami Vice John tells of the importance, the value, and the effectiveness of solid communications between management and us worker units.

Now, this is where he either does what he says or I consider the weight he gives communication just more BS. This is the kind of stuff that demonstrates character. Does he talk crap or is he a man of his word?

How about communicating those elusive company policies?

I had to laugh when reading the first issue of Inside Freight. I didn't even get past the first page were Miami Vice John tells of the importance, the value, and the effectiveness of solid communications between management and us worker units.

Now, this is where he either does what he says or I consider the weight he gives communication just more BS. This is the kind of stuff that demonstrates character. Does he talk crap or is he a man of his word?

How about communicating those elusive company policies?

What is Inside Frieght? Is that like a new Mileage Marker or whatever it was called (all I know is it burned pretty blues and greens in the wood stove)???