R&L | R&LCarriers_Legal Line haul Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credits
Line haul drivers are paid by the "run". In other words, the daily pay is a fixed amount depending upon the route of the line haul trip. It does not matter how long the trip takes (assumming the driver complies with Department of Transportation hours of service regulation), the pay does not vary. So if the run from point A to point B pays $150.00 per day, it does not matter if the run can be completed in 5 hours or if it takes 8 hours.
More specifically, the fixed amount includes the time the driver spends doing his pre-trip inspection, doing his post-trip inspection and any stops or delays he may have during the run.
As I am sure you are aware, truck drivers are exempt from overtime compensation under the Motor Carriers Exemption to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
This was taken from a response to a labor commission law suit for back pay for hours worked and not paid for.
The driver has since sued in small claims court and won $5000.00:censored2::horse:

My thought is this. Would that driver have rather been paid the regular hourly wage for his runs? I wouldn't! Here at Saia i average $25/hr on my run, and our all driving runs average around $33/hr. I'm sure it is the same at R&L, if not higher. Some people......

:Bondage::I worked at SAIA for 9 years and know for a fact that you are making over $100.00 per day/run for the same run that I do! We do not get any delay pay! At Saia you get paid for everything you do! and over here at R + L We don't get any extra pay for anything (road closed and wait 6 hours to open, meet driver shows up 4 hours late, sit in terminal waiting on load for 2 hours) We don't get paid for any of that. I Know that SAIA does pay for that. So don't give me some people!!!

As I am sure you are aware, truck drivers are exempt from overtime compensation under the Motor Carriers Exemption to the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Just to clarify, this only applies to truck drivers who work for carriers that are "for hire".

Private carriers, such as construction companies that have dump trucks and lowboys, can and do pay time+half for overtime.

:Bondage::I worked at SAIA for 9 years and know for a fact that you are making over $100.00 per day/run for the same run that I do! We do not get any delay pay! At Saia you get paid for everything you do! and over here at R + L We don't get any extra pay for anything (road closed and wait 6 hours to open, meet driver shows up 4 hours late, sit in terminal waiting on load for 2 hours) We don't get paid for any of that. I Know that SAIA does pay for that. So don't give me some people!!!

wow...didn't know that! i was comparing the milage pay exclusively.

Then why in the world did you leave Saia to come to R&L ? Did you not know what the pay was when you came to work at R&L ? Why don't you go back to Saia?

So this is what it has come to. Piece work. We are not sub contractors people!!!!! WAKE THE F UP!!!!! Before ALL of us are picking up aluminum cans on the side of the road to supplement our income. Teamster Elvis out.....

Then why in the world did you leave Saia to come to R&L ? Did you not know what the pay was when you came to work at R&L ? Why don't you go back to Saia?

He heard on trucking boards that the owner will let you stay in one of his big fancy resorts for free!!! Or that he could watch NASCAR and see the same name on his uniform displayed so proudly on one of the cars in the race!!! I think I will apply tomorrow. Who cares if my check comes up short? I'd rather have my weekends full of R&L fringe benefits. Go team. Teamster Elvis out.....

The reason I left SAIA isn't the point. The whole idea of this post was to let other R+L drivers know what the R+L legal departments response is to the labor commission was. and that the driver that brought this up sued and won in small claims court. Life happens and you do the best you can and you guys want to point that out instead of the positive point that I was bringing up. No wonder nobody wants to go union!

I was just trying to fit in with the r&l way of thinking. Where did I go wrong? I can't get along with anybody these days. It must be something in the water. Elvis out....
You want to know where you went wrong? It's your attitude Pal ,you like to post like your S**T don't stink and that you know what's best for me . Well your Teamster arrogance and style of BERATING People is exactally the reason your beloved UNION has trouble organizing people. It's your bulling mentallity which you share with many that just closes everybody's ears . So just go back to your sandbox and have nice day.

You want to know where you went wrong? It's your attitude Pal ,you like to post like your S**T don't stink and that you know what's best for me . Well your Teamster arrogance and style of BERATING People is exactally the reason your beloved UNION has trouble organizing people. It's your bulling mentallity which you share with many that just closes everybody's ears . So just go back to your sandbox and have nice day.

What's wrong with my attitude? My defecation wreaks just like yours. I don't know what's best for you. Never claimed to. I know what's best for me. And I'm not arrogant. I'm actually very shy and reclusive and passive. I never berated you. And I didn't mention the organization that you allude to. I am not a bully. I love people. I was simply pointing out some reasons why this ex Saia driver may have chose to seek employment with R&L Carriers. I learned of these perks I spoke of in my post by your employees. Why are you angry with me? I just repeated them. I will go back to my sand box now, and I will have a nice day. TE out....

Cheap trucking company's

There is a Family, Mormon owned company in the west, (Main Corporate Office in Saint George, Utah) Called Dats Trucking. They also pay by the run, which averages $50-$75 less a night or day than Saia, Conway, Abf, Old Dominion Etc. They also start city drivers at $16.50 hr. (NO OVERTIME PAY) They have drivers come and go as soon as they find a Real Trucking company that pays an honest days pay. So if you Don't want to work and give up $15,000 to $25,000 a yr. of your hard earned money to the Mormon Church, I suggest you pass on the word not to work at DATS Trucking. They do not pay Pre-Trip, Fueling, Hook Up Time, No Extra Pay For Triples, Let alone hooking up a third trailer Vs Doubles. If You break down or wait for your meet, You give up 2hrs. and then if they pay you. Then when you get paid you have to figure out how much extra they payed you, because there is no break down in your pay/stub on what and how long you were Broke down . Also NO SICK< OR PERSONAL PAY< There is No Direct deposit, Pay every 2 weeks and ZERO SENIORITY. They assign you to a run when it comes up and someone who may have just started will get a better paying run and maybe a daytime run. There is no bidding, EVER. Most of their trailers are are Junk, Old Used (FORMER CONDOR Freight TRAILERS) With Bent Crank Handles and Landing gears from Dats Hiring new Drivers who do not care about this cheap company. They will replace you with a drop of a hat, because they know people need a job, and one day it will put them out of business if they keep hiring drivers who have moved on to much better paying company's that care and Keep good drivers. So if you want a better Quality of life for your family, (and Not The Cheap Owners Of Dats) Don, Dave, Dale, Stan Etc. I Suggest you do not work here. I have moved on for a while now and can pay my bills and afford to put gas in my car and send my kids to college so they will not have to become a truck driver and put up with a very demanding and dangerous job and not get the pay and respect we deserve.

There is a Family, Mormon owned company in the west, (Main Corporate Office in Saint George, Utah) Called Dats Trucking. They also pay by the run, which averages $50-$75 less a night or day than Saia, Conway, Abf, Old Dominion Etc. They also start city drivers at $16.50 hr. (NO OVERTIME PAY) They have drivers come and go as soon as they find a Real Trucking company that pays an honest days pay. So if you Don't want to work and give up $15,000 to $25,000 a yr. of your hard earned money to the Mormon Church, I suggest you pass on the word not to work at DATS Trucking. They do not pay Pre-Trip, Fueling, Hook Up Time, No Extra Pay For Triples, Let alone hooking up a third trailer Vs Doubles. If You break down or wait for your meet, You give up 2hrs. and then if they pay you. Then when you get paid you have to figure out how much extra they payed you, because there is no break down in your pay/stub on what and how long you were Broke down . Also NO SICK< OR PERSONAL PAY< There is No Direct deposit, Pay every 2 weeks and ZERO SENIORITY. They assign you to a run when it comes up and someone who may have just started will get a better paying run and maybe a daytime run. There is no bidding, EVER. Most of their trailers are are Junk, Old Used (FORMER CONDOR Freight TRAILERS) With Bent Crank Handles and Landing gears from Dats Hiring new Drivers who do not care about this cheap company. They will replace you with a drop of a hat, because they know people need a job, and one day it will put them out of business if they keep hiring drivers who have moved on to much better paying company's that care and Keep good drivers. So if you want a better Quality of life for your family, (and Not The Cheap Owners Of Dats) Don, Dave, Dale, Stan Etc. I Suggest you do not work here. I have moved on for a while now and can pay my bills and afford to put gas in my car and send my kids to college so they will not have to become a truck driver and put up with a very demanding and dangerous job and not get the pay and respect we deserve.

personal experince driver?

Very good post sir. It is not good news, but it is another example of a once proud west coast regional carrier, who kept pay and bennies right there with any of the best paying companies. Only to have another jippo outfit from out of the area, who has been ****** their workforce and banking the profits. Then one day decided to purchase Condor Freight Lines and strip their pay down and their benefit package. Then the drivers heard that all to familiar &quot;If you don't like it there is the door.&quot; We on the west coast are very aware of companies such as Dats, and how unscrupulous their business practices can be. This has been a consorted effort in the last few years. Midwest or Southern companies snatching up regional carriers out west and tearing down our standard of living right before our eyes. Sometimes there are very good reasons as to why people post with total frustration riddled through their words. It will come to a head out here. Mark my words. TE out....

could someone please explain why this in in the R&L forum :Off-Topic:

Status
Not open for further replies.