ABF | Re-call

nightowl

TB Veteran
PREMIUM
Credits
After a 21 month layoff I finally got a call back to the Road. I’m not sure if I should be happy or scared....lol

After a 21 month layoff I finally got a call back to the Road. I’m not sure if I should be happy or scared....lol
21 months and you get called back just before the slow season? Sounds like a bad deal to me. The whole system has been awful busy this season so who knows.

wow, never knew we had guys laid off for almost 2 yrs. most areas cant find drivers. Glad to hear you are back.

I was off 2 yrs when Uncle Sam requested my services, but he started me off at $78 pr month, a man can't complain making that kind of bucks.

You forgot to mention the perks, free room & three square meals a day. That reminds me of a friend's uncle who is still living at 102 last I heard. Anyway, he joined the Army at the beginning of WWII. He & his twin brother grew up raising cotton on a rocky hillside farm. He said the Army was easy compared to raising cotton, he said he had three square meals a day, even got second helpings, plus a bunk & a paycheck.

You forgot to mention the perks, free room & three square meals a day. That reminds me of a friend's uncle who is still living at 102 last I heard. Anyway, he joined the Army at the beginning of WWII. He & his twin brother grew up raising cotton on a rocky hillside farm. He said the Army was easy compared to raising cotton, he said he had three square meals a day, even got second helpings, plus a bunk & a paycheck.

To be honest, I wouldn't take anything for the things I've seen and done.
On the other hand, I wouldn't give a nickel to do them over again.

And all the neat things the drill instructors said to you. My favorite was, "I'm going to hit you so hard your whole family will grunt!"

Basic training was the first time I ever heard the phrase: "Get your head out of your a**, airman!"

Kind of confusing,....Anatomically, you'd have to have a pretty flexible spine,....and a poor sense of smell........Sergeant made my imagination puzzle all day......Kind of weird imagery,.....You wonder what situation caused the first use of this phrase by drill sergeants......

WWI?.....Civil War?.......Napoleon wars?........

Some Roman Centurion hollering in the face of his recruits?

Basic training was the first time I ever heard the phrase: "Get your head out of your a**, airman!"

Kind of confusing,....Anatomically, you'd have to have a pretty flexible spine,....and a poor sense of smell........Sergeant made my imagination puzzle all day......Kind of weird imagery,.....You wonder what situation caused the first use of this phrase by drill sergeants......

I remember Gunny told us our rifle was our best friend because it could save our lives. He said friends/girlfriends can't always be depended on. After all these years I still feel insecure with out a weapon. Some things you learn in the military never leave you. I still align my shirt, pants & belt buckle in a line. That was known as your 'Gig' line because you could be 'gigged' if you were caught with uniform infractions.

I remember Gunny told us our rifle was our best friend because it could save our lives. He said friends/girlfriends can't always be depended on. After all these years I still feel insecure with out a weapon. Some things you learn in the military never leave you. I still align my shirt, pants & belt buckle in a line. That was known as your 'Gig' line because you could be 'gigged' if you were caught with uniform infractions.

I'm the same way, gig line is always straight.
I can't understand Mud and Canary's drill instructor.
Mine was always polite, called me by my first name, always said "please" if he asked me to do a chore, never raised his voice, or asked me to run, never got me out of bed at 2 am to clean my M1.
I guess theirs was having a bad day.

Mine was always polite, called me by my first name, always said "please" if he asked me to do a chore, never raised his voice, or asked me to run, never got me out of bed at 2 am to clean my M1.
you must have been in the air force, or on good meds lol

Watch the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Yes, & my drill sergeant told all of us on the first day of boot camp, if you children get home sick or don't like it here we will let you go back home to your mother.
I do remember one guy who was understandably disappointed. He brought his gold clubs. He said the recruiter told him to take his clubs because there was one of the best golf in the country there.

Not a lot has changed since you were laid off. Still a lot of Purchase Transportation running south from Atlanta. Last bid I ran 086 to 221 and noticed a lot of drivers turning 221 from 222. I would bet that is what you will be doing most of the time. I ran Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 1600 and most times I was in 222 for 20 to 24 hours on on my Monday run and unable to make my Wednesday bid because of the layover time. With lots of freight in 221. So extra board drivers were turning 221 from 222 to get drivers home to 086 and to keeping the 221 freight moving north.

I would suggest you check on the new milage pay routes. ABF is paying the turnpike now. Good luck and if I can help give me a call, if you still have my number. Or call Ray Miller, I believe you and he are still friends.

I sure as hell went to the wrong boot camp. von.