Yellow | Remember When???

I asked a road driver the other day where is radio box was, he showed me his cell phone. I asked why he had a large Playmate cooler with him and I was told ( I don't stop at truck stops anymore) 5 to 600 mile trips and eat on the run, man you talk about messing up your body, I am glad I transferred to local cartage, I hate to eat dinner by myself. Oh the Good Ole days

He probably can`t afford the truck stop food.

I remember going to the low side on my old Superstar CB and talking with friends and not having to listen to all the Billy Big Riggers BS. I still have My old RCA Tube Caddy Radio Box sitting on a shelf in the Garage.

Not only talk to each other, but talk to the State & local Police (and meet some of them for coffee), talk to some fine looking commuters (and meet some of them for coffee). There were times my 304 mile turn would take almost 15 hours on Saturday because of making all the Thruway service area visits to meet "friends" for coffee. :smile:

Knowing a NY Trooper from the CB saved me from a summons one day when I was daydreaming and went flying by his radar gun on I81. Another time running "front door" for a collection of four wheelers on the Thruway a Trooper friend heard me and did a u-turn to follow us and he and I were goofing on the CB while the four wheelers were freaking about the "smokey bear on our back door" not realizing it was the "bear" telling me he didn't see any "bear" anywhere. We definitely had some fun times back in those days.

You talking about "Chrome Wheels" Jeannie's ex-husband ?

How come they didn't have "chicken choker" or "chokin his chicken" or "beaver with a kickstand" on that list?:order:

"I'm just sitting here chokin my chicken". An actual response by a Roadway city driver to our favorite female dispatcher.

I remember when a long ride was 350 to 400 miles, usually took about 12 hours with the stops you took to see friends. I almost forgot, that was also in a 54 to 55 mph Orange and Blue Shake n Bake. Oh the good ole hot and very cold days and nights in some of Big R's ole trucks. The 12 to 15 year old tractors we have today are like driving new KW's compared to what we drove back in the early 80's. Man do I miss those days.

We shared our break room at Roadway Albuquerque with the relay and line haul drivers. I miss eating my lunch with my fellow workers while working midnights on the dock. Surrounded by line haul drivers filling out their logs and telling stories. Most of them smoking ( when you still could ) bitching because they got a cabover tractor and laughing when they received a load that was marked hot.