ABF | Retreads on Steers

mwk39

TB Lurker
Credits
Do you all run caps on your steers? Had a set blow a steer in front of me tonight. I'm an O/O now. I ran over his tire my truck was fine. He did a great job. On i94 in northern Illinois by Gurnee.

If so, might be worth bargaining for on your next contract.

Just wondering. Thanks

Do you all run caps on your steers? Had a set blow a steer in front of me tonight. I'm an O/O now. I ran over his tire my truck was fine. He did a great job. On i94 in northern Illinois by Gurnee.

Just wondering. Thanks
I don’t believe we do, I know it’s illegal to use them on buses….

Caps on steers are illegal.
And have been for many years, minimum tread 5/32.
My battleship mouth overloaded my sailboat azz.
I had always heard differently.
When Ryder purchased new equipment they came with steering tires on all axles, all except the steering were replaced with Bandag recaps.
They did their own recapping in Atlanta.

Last edited:
It's in the NMFA, Article 16, Section 6(c), "There shall be first-line tires on the steering axle of all road and pick-up and delivery power units."
I always thought this was federal, I assume this was just one of our better perks.
You probably know yourself, you never saw bad steering tires on PIE's equipment.

Just wondering. Thanks
Against the federal law . You should know that

21yrs with ABF, never had a cap on steers. 17yrs with Supervalu before ABF, never had caps on steers. Now back in 79 when I got back to the states and left the Army, I recall it was fed law as to no caps on steers. Now at some point between then and now the capping of tires improved and I recall the feds changing that to allow them with the exception of buses. Now when I get a chance to play on the putter, research more. Till then If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit lol.

21yrs with ABF, never had a cap on steers. 17yrs with Supervalu before ABF, never had caps on steers. Now back in 79 when I got back to the states and left the Army, I recall it was fed law as to no caps on steers. Now at some point between then and now the capping of tires improved and I recall the feds changing that to allow them with the exception of buses. Now when I get a chance to play on the putter, research more. Till then If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit lol.
They have been prohibited by the NMFA since at least the 1970's.