ABF | Retreads on Steers

Abf does not run recaps on steer tires. Been here 18 years. I would caution to always look closely at your steer tires, because I have found some with cuts or marks where they have been rubbed up against something. Some of the pre trips I have seen these guys do they wouldn’t know if they had lug nuts let alone cuts in the steer tires. It’s your life, so check things out

Do you all run caps on your steers? Had a set blow a steer in front of me tonight. I'm an O/O now. I ran over his tire my truck was fine. He did a great job. On i94 in northern Illinois by Gurnee.

If so, might be worth bargaining for on your next contract.

Just wondering. Thanks
It’s not only illegal but it’s already in the contract!
At least it was.
I’m going to check that out!

Abf does not run recaps on steer tires. Been here 18 years. I would caution to always look closely at your steer tires, because I have found some with cuts or marks where they have been rubbed up against something. Some of the pre trips I have seen these guys do they wouldn’t know if they had lug nuts let alone cuts in the steer tires. It’s your life, so check things out
I would add to that, check that the front wheel hubs have oil in them. I've wiped some off that look like they haven't been looked at in years. You don't want to have no oil and have your wheel bearings melt and the whole wheel and tire assembly leave the truck unexpectedly. :duh:

I would add to that, check that the front wheel hubs have oil in them. I've wiped some off that look like they haven't been looked at in years. You don't want to have no oil and have your wheel bearings melt and the whole wheel and tire assembly leave the truck unexpectedly. :duh:
Oil is a must.
I don't recall ever seeing a Stemco or (oil fed) bearing go bad unless a seal failed.
When I started, it seemed like you had a grease-packed bearing failure every month or so.

Oil is a must.
I don't recall ever seeing a Stemco or (oil fed) bearing go bad unless a seal failed.
When I started, it seemed like you had a grease-packed bearing failure every month or so.
One time at Maislin I was following another driver on the NJ Turnpike, both of us coming back from a Baltimore turn I believe. Around Elizabeth his right rear dual wheel assembly and hub came off the rear trailer axle and bounced along the roadway and eventually over the Jersey barrier and down on the street below. Didn't have CB back then and couldn't signal him to stop till we reached terminal at Kearny. Turns out the axle hub ran dry of oil and the bearings just melted from the heat and slid off the axle. Made me aware of checking the hub seals myself after that, especially on steering axles.

One time at Maislin I was following another driver on the NJ Turnpike, both of us coming back from a Baltimore turn I believe. Around Elizabeth his right rear dual wheel assembly and hub came off the rear trailer axle and bounced along the roadway and eventually over the Jersey barrier and down on the street below. Didn't have CB back then and couldn't signal him to stop till we reached terminal at Kearny. Turns out the axle hub ran dry of oil and the bearings just melted from the heat and slid off the axle. Made me aware of checking the hub seals myself after that, especially on steering axles.
When I worked for the grocery comp. A driver had the left trailer duel do the same thing on a two-lane rd. It pasted him and sidewiped the on-coming car. The first thing out of the lady's mouth was, did you see that motorcycle with no lights, it hit me. Funny now, but that could have been deadly. Always do a proper pre-check!!

It's also a DOT regulation that recaps can't be run on a steer axle.
To my knowledge the only DOT regulation on caps on the steer axle is on passenger buses unless it has been changed recently. I don't know of any company that runs caps on steer axles on the highway. I think it would be inviting trouble to do so but I don't know of any law/regulation that prohibits it. Can you post the law/regulation?

To my knowledge the only DOT regulation on caps on the steer axle is on passenger buses unless it has been changed recently. I don't know of any company that runs caps on steer axles on the highway. I think it would be inviting trouble to do so but I don't know of any law/regulation that prohibits it. Can you post the law/regulation?
I stand corrected. You can run recaps on a steer axle except on busses. They must be certified as steer recaps. However, the company I worked at would not allow it- had to be virgin tires on the steers. We could run recaps on yard switchers as long as they stayed on the yard.

I stand corrected. You can run recaps on a steer axle except on busses. They must be certified as steer recaps. However, the company I worked at would not allow it- had to be virgin tires on the steers. We could run recaps on yard switchers as long as they stayed on the yard.
I would have no problem running caps on steer axles of off road trucks where speeds are slow. Tires scuff badly in dirt & gravel. I have friends who run caps on drive axles of their dump trucks because of that. It is not good business to run them on steer axles on highway trucks even if it is allowed when they can used on drive axles & trailers. A friend at work lost a relative years ago when a capped steer tire seperated on a dump truck. The truck crossed the median & crashed into her car.

I would have no problem running caps on steer axles of off road trucks where speeds are slow. Tires scuff badly in dirt & gravel. I have friends who run caps on drive axles of their dump trucks because of that. It is not good business to run them on steer axles on highway trucks even if it is allowed when they can used on drive axles & trailers. A friend at work lost a relative years ago when a capped steer tire seperated on a dump truck. The truck crossed the median & crashed into her car.
Keep in mind that when you recap a tire, it has already run through one cycle of tread wear. Recaps are usually repaired and you run the chance of a failure due to the repair. My company requirement was virgin steers only and tires no more than 7 years old and recapped twice. After that, they get scrapped.

Keep in mind that when you recap a tire, it has already run through one cycle of tread wear. Recaps are usually repaired and you run the chance of a failure due to the repair. My company requirement was virgin steers only and tires no more than 7 years old and recapped twice. After that, they get scrapped.
I look at retreading as environmentally friendly & conserving resources. Also in this state a used tire tax is paid when new tires are bought. The tax is for tire carcass disposal which is not profitable without being subsidized. Even with this there are still thousands of tires illegally dumped which is harmful to the environment.

I look at retreading as environmentally friendly & conserving resources. Also in this state a used tire tax is paid when new tires are bought. The tax is for tire carcass disposal which is not profitable without being subsidized. Even with this there are still thousands of tires illegally dumped which is harmful to the environment.
I think the tire disposal fee is in every state, Ted. I also am lobbying in Illinois against a proposed, mirror disposal charge.

Many of our drive and trailer tires were the (Bandag) type caps, we had very little tire trouble.