Estes | Samsara madness

Seems like the system overall is working pretty good. First night (which was my first night with the company) seemed to have issues, but I’ve been running by myself all week and the dispatch system and log portion seems to be working just fine. Safety score has run 98-100 all week.

We were told the first week to down load app on our phone then told the second week do not use the phone app its messing up the eld just delete it off your phones. We were told the first week do not move your tractor without being logged in its a safety violation we were told the second week to move your tractor until you can log in because the eld was not letting you log in a certain spots like motel so move it 20-50 feet until it lets you. Some drivers scores were going down with the tractor sitting still at the motel. Dont think they worked the bugs out before implementing it. Ive not had to much trouble with it. It has kicked me into driving from pc when it needed to stay in pc and also into driving from yard move when it needed to stay in yard move. Over hears people in the office talking about they had several weeks worth of editing the logs from the mishaps, but when you throw a new system out without really testing it well this is what happens.

We were told the first week to down load app on our phone then told the second week do not use the phone app its messing up the eld just delete it off your phones. We were told the first week do not move your tractor without being logged in its a safety violation we were told the second week to move your tractor until you can log in because the eld was not letting you log in a certain spots like motel so move it 20-50 feet until it lets you. Some drivers scores were going down with the tractor sitting still at the motel. Dont think they worked the bugs out before implementing it. Ive not had too much trouble with it. It has kicked me into driving from pc when it needed to stay in pc and also into driving from yard move when it needed to stay in yard move. Over hears people in the office talking about they had several weeks worth of editing the logs from the mishaps, but when you throw a new system out without really testing it well this is what happens.
I’ve been using the app every day I lay over on my 3/2 to PC to the terminal. I’m not moving that truck off duty while I’m not logged into it when I have a phone app that works perfect fine. Seems to be a good product imo but I’ve gotta wonder if we don’t have the proper hardware for it to run properly. Saia seems to have zero issues with it but they also bought new hand held devices for it to run on when they went live with it a few years back. I think the tablets we’re trying to run this software on are not quite up to par for this application. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the app every day I lay over on my 3/2 to PC to the terminal. I’m not moving that truck off duty while I’m not logged into it when I have a phone app that works perfect fine. Seems to be a good product imo but I’ve gotta wonder if we don’t have the proper hardware for it to run properly. Saia seems to have zero issues with it but they also bought new hand held devices for it to run on when they went live with it a few years back. I think the tablets we’re trying to run this software on are not quite up to par for this application. Just my opinion.
Very good observation

As a Saia Driver I have learned with the Samsara don't have the phone app and your tablet open at the stay time, put yourself on yard movement on one and the other might or might pickup the change. Always log yourself out at the end of your duty cycle, even at the motel, some other Knuckle head across the company might log into the Wrong truck number and put you back On Duty. Hope this helps.

Seen a video on you tube from some trucking guy. He was talking about a case where a 4 wheeler crossed the median and hit a Werner truck head on. D.O.T deemed it an accident and nobody was charged. The family in the 4 wheeler lost a child and another child was paralized from it. They tried suing Werner but lost. So now they got the lawyer going after the truck driver himself. Hopefully they lose that also. They crossed the median not the truck driver. I feel for their loss of their child and the other paralized but dont ruin this mans life for something he didnt cause. If this starts happening it will just hurt the trucking industry that much more from people not wanting to enter the profession from fear of getting sued and losing everything.
A Werner driver was westbound on interstate 20. The pickup truck carrying the family that suffered the fatal and non-fatal injuries was traveling eastbound–the mother was not the driver–lost control, went through a grassy median “and directly into the path of the Werner unit.” The pickup truck had turned around, so its rear was hit by the oncoming Werner truck.

“Werner’s driver did not receive a citation, and the investigating officers placed no blame on the Werner driver,” the company said in its filing. “The Werner driver was traveling well below the posted speed limit, did not lose control of his tractor-trailer, and even brought the unit to a controlled stop after the impact.”

The recap from the Penn Law Firm, one of two firms representing the plaintiffs, paints a very different picture, not of the accident itself but of the conditions prior to the wreck.

There apparently were differing views in the testimony about whether there were icy conditions, but clearly, the roads were not great. “Werner’s witnesses testified that Werner did not allow Ali, its student driver, to have access to basic safety equipment, such as an outside temperature gauge or the CB radio, either of which would have alerted him to the dangerous road conditions at the time,” the Penn statement said. A National Weather Service warning about the poor conditions was not communicated to the driver, according to Penn, “allowing (the driver) to average over 60 mph while driving unsupervised through the icy conditions because (the driver) was on a Just-In-Time (JIT) load, requiring delivery to California by the next day.”

“Ali averaged in excess of 60 mph for the 52 miles he was driving in icy conditions prior to the crash, and was traveling over 50 mph seconds prior to the collision,” Penn said.

If the driver was traveling 50, that would support Werner’s contention that he was below the speed limit. The question then was how slow the truck should have been going given the conditions, and the jury sided with the plaintiffs.

There apparently were differing views in the testimony about whether there were icy conditions, but clearly, the roads were not great. “Werner’s witnesses testified that Werner did not allow Ali, its student driver, to have access to basic safety equipment, such as an outside temperature gauge or the CB radio, either of which would have alerted him to the dangerous road conditions at the time,” the Penn statement said. A National Weather Service warning about the poor conditions was not communicated to the driver, according to Penn, “allowing (the driver) to average over 60 mph while driving unsupervised through the icy conditions because (the driver) was on a Just-In-Time (JIT) load, requiring delivery to California by the next day.”

“Ali averaged in excess of 60 mph for the 52 miles he was driving in icy conditions prior to the crash, and was traveling over 50 mph seconds prior to the collision,” Penn said.

If the driver was traveling 50, that would support Werner’s contention that he was below the speed limit. The question then was how slow the truck should have been going given the conditions, and the jury sided with the plaintiffs.
Who uses a cb anymore/ A lot of tractors dont have outside temp guages and the national weather service is hit and miss with their alerts

I saw where they said to not use the phone app, only the tablet… I had to use the app all week because my truck was at Freightliner and missed the initial install… it was kept at the yard all week prior to me moving into it in order to do the install… which was never done.

one of the Portland drivers that lays over in the same hotel as me only has the app lol. He still has Peoplenet in his truck. WTF is he supposed to do SMH.
The Estes way. Get all gungho on something without thinking it all the way through or **** poor planning with the thought it will work out in the end.

As a Saia Driver I have learned with the Samsara don't have the phone app and your tablet open at the stay time, put yourself on yard movement on one and the other might or might pickup the change. Always log yourself out at the end of your duty cycle, even at the motel, some other Knuckle head across the company might log into the Wrong truck number and put you back On Duty. Hope this helps.
Good info to know, that does make sense retrospectively since I’ve been using both at times and comparing, thanks.