ODFL | Security Divider Service

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
I saw this on OD's site.It looks like a good deal and simple.Simple things usually work,has anybody set one up ?

we have had one at our terminal. it must be loaded in the nose of a PUP and secured. it must also deliver from the same PUP still secured. i can already see the problems . first, the shipper must notify OD one day before shipment. since the driver will probably not be in the loop will not a locking divider on trailer will not be able to secure said freight . in must cases an empty PUP will have to be sent special from the terminal to said pickup and that won't always be possible due to lack of available drivers and city drivers can not pickup on a van. this may cause headaches for the dispatch dept.

Like i said Roadway had a patent on this service so i guess nobody else could copy it. If you are saying O.D. is offering it now maybe Roadway's patent on the service has expired. That I don"t know.

Like i said Roadway had a patent on this service so i guess nobody else could copy it. If you are saying O.D. is offering it now maybe Roadway's patent on the service has expired. That I don"t know.

If not, OD could be in for a heap of legal battles. I handled many of these deliveries and pick ups in my time.
Lock with plywood, 3 load bars, and trailer bolts. Place an adhesive sticker across the plywood panels. To deliver, just go with bolt cutters. Easy as pie.

If not, OD could be in for a heap of legal battles. I handled many of these deliveries and pick ups in my time.
Lock with plywood, 3 load bars, and trailer bolts. Place an adhesive sticker across the plywood panels. To deliver, just go with bolt cutters. Easy as pie.

The one OD has on their website has the name of a large manufacturer/distributor of safety equipment on it so I'm guessing that's who they buy them from.

In my mind this seems pointless. If i pay said company to deliver something then it should show up the way i shipped it. Don't care how its put on the truck either the company delivers it intact or pays for the damage or replacement if stolen. Just my thoughts on it.

The one OD has on their website has the name of a large manufacturer/distributor of safety equipment on it so I'm guessing that's who they buy them from.

Roadway's was simply assembled out of existing materials laying around on the dock. If another company copied the idea and made their "own" device, they may still be liable for patent infringement.

In my mind this seems pointless. If i pay said company to deliver something then it should show up the way i shipped it. Don't care how its put on the truck either the company delivers it intact or pays for the damage or replacement if stolen. Just my thoughts on it.

The Roadway sealed divider, was loaded by the shipper. Then sealed off from the rest of the trailer. In essence, the same as them loading a whole trailer and sealing it, thereby alleviating any blame from the carrier. How can the carrier be responsible if thing s crush or shift if someone else does the loading?

This was the premise behind the sealed divider concept..... separate from the rest of the load, reduce the possibility of a claim against the carrier.

I retired a few years back so I've never seen one of these units.It looks like 2 pieces of plywood with a frame and 1 load bar with a lock in it.When all is in place everything is braced and actually locked in the nose of the trailer.The load bar with the lock has KELLER on it, a well known supplier for the trucking industry.......For 25 or 30 years we had been at times separating high value/easily damaged freight in the nose using plywood/dunnage/pallets/etc.The way OD is doing it this is the first I know of shipments actually being locked in the nose.

The YRC website still says this service has been patented, so I guess somebody is copying their service, probably illegally. I'll find out some information tommorrow when I go to work.

This isn't completely new. A few years ago I brought a pup up to a customer that had the plywood sealing off their half of the load except it didn't involved that fancy lock, but it would've been tough to get in otherwise.

Patent or not, I believe OD is one step ahead of the competition then to spend time in a legal battle over something I believe all the other carriers have their own versions of.

This isn't completely new. A few years ago I brought a pup up to a customer that had the plywood sealing off their half of the load except it didn't involved that fancy lock, but it would've been tough to get in otherwise.

Patent or not, I believe OD is one step ahead of the competition then to spend time in a legal battle over something I believe all the other carriers have their own versions of.

One step ahead by copying a patented idea?
If they are in patent violation, you could believe that they will have to stop on their own or end up in a legal battle. That could be why they use only 2 bars instead of the 3 that YRC uses.