ODFL | Security Divider Service

One step ahead by copying a patented idea?
If they are in patent violation, you could believe that they will have to stop on their own or end up in a legal battle. That could be why they use only 2 bars instead of the 3 that YRC uses.

Does YRC's have a fixed lock in the bar ?

YRC more than likely sold or licenced the patent to Keller or OD,Its not like they havent been selling every other asset they have.

The Roadway sealed divider, was loaded by the shipper. Then sealed off from the rest of the trailer. In essence, the same as them loading a whole trailer and sealing it, thereby alleviating any blame from the carrier. How can the carrier be responsible if thing s crush or shift if someone else does the loading?

This was the premise behind the sealed divider concept..... separate from the rest of the load, reduce the possibility of a claim against the carrier.

Thanks ANIMO916 that makes a little more sense to me. As for who started using this idea and came up with it, i'll leave that to those in charge. Seems like a petty thing to get worked up over and it seems that might be where this is headed.:biglaugh:

I'm betting on what Dean said. Some people do seem to be getting worked up easily when they see the competition they've stomped on and put down over the years finally getting the upper hand.

I do not think it would get rid of any possible claims, the carrier is still going to liable for damage, the way ltl trailers are loaded, somthing will get through the plywood.

I'm sure the big wigs did their homework before they introduced this service. The guys at the top are very well informed about other company's services and operations. I find it very hard to believe that OD would be ignorant enough to violate a copyright law. More than likely the patent has expired or OD found some loop hole. And by the way there is no company that supplies OD with the dividers, they're homemade. Simple ply-wood, 2 by 4's, and the same deck bars that the deck trailers come equipped with. The only thing special they do is paint the deck bars red and stencil the words security divider, or something to that affect.

I'm sure the big wigs did their homework before they introduced this service. The guys at the top are very well informed about other company's services and operations. I find it very hard to believe that OD would be ignorant enough to violate a copyright law. More than likely the patent has expired or OD found some loop hole. And by the way there is no company that supplies OD with the dividers, they're homemade. Simple ply-wood, 2 by 4's, and the same deck bars that the deck trailers come equipped with. The only thing special they do is paint the deck bars red and stencil the words security divider, or something to that affect.

I looked at the link on the OD site and the link on the YRC site, and with the exception of OD only using 2 bars, and YRC using 3 bars, there is no other difference. Maybe that is their loophole. Also, no one makes the dividers for YRC either. 2 pieces of plywood, 1 bar behind and 2 bars in front of the plywood. That piece on the floor is actually not even needed.

I'm just a little confused as to how it could even be a patent violation or copyright violation at all.
Heres my point, OD is not selling the locking bars or dividers, plywood or other wise. they are simply saying we will give you the added security and safety of locking/securing your shipment.
That would be like one company saying to another that you can't have air service because we hold the patent and you can't fly the freight around unless we say so. boo hoo cry me a river.

Nobody is saying OD cannot offer some type of divided security servive, but it cannot be an exact copy of a patented servive someone else has come up with. In other words they need to be a little more creative with the system they would use.

Nobody is saying OD cannot offer some type of divided security servive, but it cannot be an exact copy of a patented servive someone else has come up with. In other words they need to be a little more creative with the system they would use.

I get what your trying to say. However I was responding to those claiming it was a copy of a patented service. What I am trying to get across is that you can't patent the act of securing freight. You can patent a particular name of a unique service, you can patent a device such as I unique Locking bar.

If I'm being unclear let me know. I can be a bit confusing.

I get what your trying to say. However I was responding to those claiming it was a copy of a patented service. What I am trying to get across is that you can't patent the act of securing freight. You can patent a particular name of a unique service, you can patent a device such as I unique Locking bar.

If I'm being unclear let me know. I can be a bit confusing.

The service is probably not applicable for any type of patent, however, the concept or idea is definitely applicable for a patent, and thereby should give the patent holder exclusivity to use the same. Has the patent run out? I have no idea.

I have asked the sales people at our terminal if the patent has expired and have not gotten an answer yet. But it's only been 2 weeks!!! I guess they don't give a shi!!!!! and neither do I!!!:ranting2::Flame-On:

I accidently posted this, does anyone really give a damn? Really this service isn't gonna make or break a company so does it really matter?

I accidently posted this, does anyone really give a damn? Really this service isn't gonna make or break a company so does it really matter?

Obviously people do care or the thread wouldn't exist. I was only posting an example I came across.

So calm down and get off your high horse, take a vallium or something.

Just like you can turn off that cb radio if you don't like what you hear. You don't have to read or comment on things that are not of interest to you.

Good day sir

Well i paid for this computer so i'll use it when i want i don't have to turn it off, i always hated hearing on that on the c.b.. Wasn't gettin worked up tfate im just simply amazed at how petty this entire subject is gettin. Really if this idea was gonna make or break a company i could understand but how often is this service really being used? Good day to you sir.