SAIA | Seriously?

Low22

TB Lurker
Credits
A write up for talking to the radio. My phone was nowhere around and packed away in my bag. No headset or anything. I was answering trivia questions on the morning show... you can even hear it. TM said I had to sign it.

:1904:

A write up for talking to the radio. My phone was nowhere around and packed away in my bag. No headset or anything. I was answering trivia questions on the morning show... you can even hear it. TM said I had to sign it.

With a lawyer present.

And here we gots another reason why Saia sucks.

Now cue all the koolaid drinkers and candyasses who think 65 mph is too fast to tell us all how ya somehow deserved it.

I wouldn't have signed. The audio should support your explanation. I would have taken it to HR.
Your TM pressured you so as to get it off of his desk. I still would go to HR.

Nothing, if you go to HR and the evidence, which in this case is both video and audio, supports your explanation.
was the red light on recording u?? Is someone remotely checking on u? This is very bizarre

seems like you're a day away from the unemployment line with this company more than any LTL out there

I don’t know you, but right is right and wrong is wrong. You did absolutely nothing wrong here, and they are railroading you into admitting guilt where no policy was violated. I would appeal, fight, scratch, claw, whatever. This is BS, and unfortunately par for the course

SAIA's gonna keep this s**t up until one day no decent, professional driver will work for them. Then they'll be left scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to turn Swift and England rejects into LTL drivers.
I understand the need for safe, concientous drivers in this industry, as well as adherance to company policies and procedure. But this over officious surveillance culture that SAIA has implemented is gonna do nothing but run the good ones off.

SAIA's gonna keep this s**t up until one day no decent, professional driver will work for them. Then they'll be left scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to turn Swift and England rejects into LTL drivers.
Two months ago in Garland Tx they hired a driver with 14 jobs in the last 10 years...….Its already happening. Saia fired him three weeks later for nearly having head on collision on two lane road caught on video.

Two months ago in Garland Tx they hired a driver with 14 jobs in the last 10 years...….Its already happening. Saia fired him three weeks later for nearly having head on collision on two lane road caught on video.
He deserved to be terminated. He should have never been hired so everyone gets what they deserve. The cameras are a double edged sword. Thank God I got out just in time because if I hadn’t a stop sign wouldn’t be the only ****ing thing that got ran over.

call HR , report him

I understand the need for safe, concientous drivers in this industry, as well as adherance to company policies and procedure. But this over officious surveillance culture that SAIA has implemented is gonna do nothing but run the good ones off.
In all fairness I knew exactly who and what I signed up for and was fully aware of their reputation with regard to their weaponization of the driver facing camera. Will it come back to bite me in the ass eventually? Well, lets just say that everyday I come back from my run, I just assume I'm heading over to the unemployment office after work

In all fairness I knew exactly who and what I signed up for and was fully aware of their reputation with regard to their weaponization of the driver facing camera. Will it come back to bite me in the ass eventually? Well, lets just say that everyday I come back from my run, I just assume I'm heading over to the unemployment office after work
That’s really the only way to look at it. All LTL companies are the same if you are “hired at will” so just make your money and enjoy the ride. There is absolutely no loyalty in this business so just cover your ass to the best of your ability because you could be gone in a New York minute. This is the thing! The worst thing this company can do to you is terminate you. That’s all they got. You can just pick yourself up and dust yourself off and find another job. Who gives a ****. Plenty of jobs out there so I never worried about it. Sure, you may not make the kind of money you are now but then again you could make more so IMO you need to have the big picture. Your health and CDL is all you need to carry on and they can’t touch that. Just remember as long as you have your health it’s their loss. Not yours. But be prepared to fight SAIA for your unemployment benefits because they are famous for weaseling out of it. Just another example of a POS company. But you know what you signed up for so I’m certain you already know that. The pay is good along with the total compensation package so just ride it until you can’t no more. And if the day ever comes that it’s over just know it’s not the end of the world.

Last edited:
was the red light on recording u?? Is someone remotely checking on u? This is very bizarre

seems like you're a day away from the unemployment line with this company more than any LTL out there

It's no secret that I hate the whole camera thing and always have. Having posted that, at any given time, there could be hundreds of Saia drivers, on the road, and Saia can't be their only client. It would be nearly impossible or flat out impossible to remotely check even a small percentage of drivers. Naw, there are several situations, that would activate the camera, and something did. The activation brought it to their attention and then decisions were made. The red light had to be on, but, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you care?

This next part is a minefield. I don't want to start something because it's none of my business, I am not a company cheerleader, and my first instinct is to side, with the driver, but I know, that getting caught, on the phone, could be a terminating offence. Yet, you just got "coached," you signed it, and it's over.

It's your choice, as to whether this conversation continues, but what exactly were you "coached" for? If they accused you of using your phone, and the audio and video evidence shows otherwise, then I would suggest to you, to go to your TM and let him know that you are going to HR, and then make the call. If it was something else, then it is not so cut and dried. Your call.

In this case, the camera system did its job. Someone, in Garland, had to explain, why this driver was hired. There may be two people looking for a job.

The call to hr should have been made from the tm’s office with him present either by him or yourself weather he likes it or not. Not signing any right up, right or wrong, upon request could constitute refusing in the eyes of management. Any form signed at this point is a done deal. You do have rights as an employee, union or not.