Yellow | Seven (7) Years Ago....This Post Fell On Deaf Ears!

Explain this. Go to a website called Market Watch. Type in all the public traded LTL carriers and look at “ gross revenue per employee “ pretty raw metric. Now answer this for several years YRC was almost half of what ABF was. Oh and by the way last time I looked ABF was higher than all the others, A UNION CARRIER UNDER NMFA. I asked a regional guy several years ago this same question and his response, “ what the hell are you talking about, and I have never heard anyone talk about that “ he did say he would look into it.
Let’s see they watched bills per hour, load averages, dock hours, overtime, delay time, etc, etc. You’re an insider what was YRC’S management ratio to hourly vs all the other carriers. My guess it was at least double.
Gross revenue per employee isn't a valid comparison when the expenses are so different. How about net income per employee?

Gross revenue per employee isn't a valid comparison when the expenses are so different. How about net income per employee?
Good place to start looking at if you’re losing money as a company,
Answer my question ratio of management to hourly.

Here is a stat for you. At time of close Yrc was 22% lower wages than Estes. And they still couldn’t run a profitable business. They must have had bad stats and data from consultants.
Good point, simply stated teamster LTL is a poor business model. It fails every time.

Explain this. Go to a website called Market Watch. Type in all the public traded LTL carriers and look at “ gross revenue per employee “ pretty raw metric. Now answer this for several years YRC was almost half of what ABF was. Oh and by the way last time I looked ABF was higher than all the others, A UNION CARRIER UNDER NMFA. I asked a regional guy several years ago this same question and his response, “ what the hell are you talking about, and I have never heard anyone talk about that “ he did say he would look into it.
Let’s see they watched bills per hour, load averages, dock hours, overtime, delay time, etc, etc. You’re an insider what was YRC’S management ratio to hourly vs all the other carriers. My guess it was at least double.
That is a difficult way to measure due to the variables. Length of haul, NMFC Classes, Accessorial charges, Fuel Surcharges Lanes all have a bearing on cwt and revenue per shipment/employee hour worked.
Yellow did not have a product good enough to command the revenue necessary to pay the bills & generate a profit off of handling business. Thus the misery they inflicted on the remainder of the industry during their existence.
Every customer I know that utilized Yellows services admitted the relationship was based off of price and no other criteria.
Yellow was selling a service no one wanted unless it was so cheap it was difficult to refuse....
A business model that will fail every time........

Good point, simply stated teamster LTL is a poor business model. It fails every time.
Poor management always has someone to blame. Look at how often yellow blamed the weather for poor earnings. Yellow had opportunity to adapt with layoffs they did not because of low wages knowing they could not get new hires.

That is a difficult way to measure due to the variables. Length of haul, NMFC Classes, Accessorial charges, Fuel Surcharges Lanes all have a bearing on cwt and revenue per shipment/employee hour worked.
Yellow did not have a product good enough to command the revenue necessary to pay the bills & generate a profit off of handling business. Thus the misery they inflicted on the remainder of the industry during their existence.
Every customer I know that utilized Yellows services admitted the relationship was based off of price and no other criteria.
Yellow was selling a service no one wanted unless it was so cheap it was difficult to refuse....
A business model that will fail every time........
Everything you stated is POOR MANAGEMENT.

Less so, their non-union competition is able to change regularly. YRC was multiple needed changes away every time they even had the ability to negotiate for those changes.
Yellow was conducting business the same way they did in the 1950's
Non union LTL carriers have changed in major ways since COVID hit. In slighter ways since Yellow closed.
If a carrier is not nimble they are soon out of business.

Yellow was conducting business the same way they did in the 1950's
Non union LTL carriers have changed in major ways since COVID hit. In slighter ways since Yellow closed.
If a carrier is not nimble they are soon out of business.
No argument on that and why.
ARROGANCE!!!!!!!!!

Everything you stated is POOR MANAGEMENT.
So you are telling me that all these poor managers formerly worked at Yellow who now work at great LTL carriers today suddenly became great managers once they filled out the new applications?
I was told that Yellow's Workman's Comp rates were almost double the national average/ Freight claims ratio was above the national average and service was pathetic with the cheapest pricing in the industry.
As far as I know Yellow should have been dead in 2009 whoever led the company kept it going much longer than just about every industry expert believed they ever could.
Unfortunately Yellow joined the legions of other teamster LTL carriers along with the failure they bring to LTL carriers.

Let's make this really simple. Did the Teamsters and the NMFA make it easier for YRC to consolidate and streamline or did their existence make it more difficult? Was YRC able to evolve and adapt to a changing environment as quickly as their competitors?

It's been more than 7 months since YRC filed. Yet, you're still too close to see the forest for the trees are in your way.
YRC could’ve begun “”streamlining” after their last acquisition. Working hand in hand with the Teamsters to dominate LTL. But, business was strong, coffee was hot, bonuses were in hand. Why go the extra mile?

Good place to start looking at if you’re losing money as a company,
Answer my question ratio of management to hourly.
I disagree. If you are selling subpar watermelons for $1.00, and it cost you $1.05 to sell each one, you don't look to sell more watermelons. You look to cut your costs. The market has already determined that subpar watermelons are only worth $1, you can't sell them for $1.10.

YRC didn't do anything better than their competition, they had to sell on costs.

I have no idea what the management to hourly employee ratio is at all the carriers. Feel free to dig up that information on your own and draw your own pre-conceived conclusions.

Exactly. When you're selling discounted service for a discounted price you must do so efficiently. Even Dollar Tree is closing 1000 stores.

YRC could’ve begun “”streamlining” after their last acquisition. Working hand in hand with the Teamsters to dominate LTL.
Show me an instance where the IBT has supported "streamlining". Streamlining means increased efficiencies. Increased efficiencies means fewer dues paying members producing the same work.

I disagree. If you are selling subpar watermelons for $1.00, and it cost you $1.05 to sell each one, you don't look to sell more watermelons. You look to cut your costs. The market has already determined that subpar watermelons are only worth $1, you can't sell them for $1.10.

YRC didn't do anything better than their competition, they had to sell on costs.

I have no idea what the management to hourly employee ratio is at all the carriers. Feel free to dig up that information on your own and draw your own pre-conceived conclusions.
Ex, you just said it. YRC (Yellow) didn't do it better than their competitors. That's something they needed to do, something they had the ability and resources to do, but something they didn't do. That was a product of the flawed thinking and policy-setting from the "glass house". When you hire front line managers, you need to give them enough latitude to manage their operations. The "glass house" quite pointedly didn't do that. The front-line managers were nothing more than implementers. That could have been accomplished with a figurative shrewdness of chimpanzees.
I saw so many good, hard-working Shift Operations Managers and Dock Supervisors who packed up and left out of pure frustration with the tasks and methods they were being directed to accomplish. Very little or no latitude to localize what worked. It was sad!

That comment is odd. I didn’t know the Teamsters were a business model.
Sure is a business model, work rules create the model. Teamster carrier have been doing working the same way since the 1950's
The inefficiencies that come with a union LTL carrier are legendary. Hence why every carrier does all they can to avoid the cancer of being a teamster LTL carrier.
Can you name 5 successful teamster LTL carriers that remain in business today?
That will prove the business model works..
For each one you name that is a success I will name 2 that went out of business.

Fair enough?

That may be Ranch, but in this industry (and the transportation industry generally) we seriously skew those numbers longer. Doesn't matter if it's a train, bus, truck or plane you're driving, we tend to have FAR more seniority than three years.
Did you ever wonder why? Could it be that listing their skill set and educational background on a resume is not impressing anyone? Something like, high school graduate with 10-year experience loading and unloading trucks demands $30 per hour with 11 paid holidays, 5 paid sick days, 3 weeks paid vacation, fully paid healthcare and pension plan with no employee contribution.

Less so, their non-union competition is able to change regularly. YRC was multiple needed changes away every time they even had the ability to negotiate for those changes.
The non union companies were able to improvise, adapt and overcome economic challenges immediately. The union carriers are locked into a long term contract with archaic work rules and classifications that make improving efficiency impossible.

Did you ever wonder why? Could it be that listing their skill set and educational background on a resume is not impressing anyone? Something like, high school graduate with 10-year experience loading and unloading trucks demands $30 per hour with 11 paid holidays, 5 paid sick days, 3 weeks paid vacation, fully paid healthcare and pension plan with no employee contribution.
Blade, you might want to "speak for yourself" on that one. Quite a few of my group (me included) have college degrees, some of us multiple college degrees. We have a very interesting group of backgrounds, everything from probation officer to criminologist to accountant to educator to social worker to district manager for a retailer. Yep, we all worked at Yellow!