Yellow | Seven (7) Years Ago....This Post Fell On Deaf Ears!

The non union companies were able to improvise, adapt and overcome economic challenges immediately. The union carriers are locked into a long term contract with archaic work rules and classifications that make improving efficiency impossible.
Two things, Blade: 1) I notice ABF is "hangin' right in there". 2) Yellow's big operational management problem was: they kept constantly trying to re-invent the wheel instead of greasing the wheel they had and making sure to check the air pressure. In 32 years, I saw so many "programs" come, make a lot of noise and quietly go. The company went "back to basics" after every group of failed experiments. They should have stayed the course, but they didn't. It was a rudder-less ship. Let's see: the Gold Program. Spent MILLIONS on that! Metroliner. Come and gone. Exact Express. Worked fabulously! What did they do? Scuttled it in favor of TimeCritical, which was a substantial flop. The DEKRA safety initiative. Spent a fortune, then sat on it for nearly a year. The Point and Call. Never pointed, never called, but spent millions gearing up for it. The Safety Trainer program where they turned both of those over to rank-and-file teams. That was a really smart move that they should have done years earlier, but they didn't want to yield control.

Show me an instance where the IBT has supported "streamlining". Streamlining means increased efficiencies. Increased efficiencies means fewer dues paying members producing the same work.
Agree. Could’ve retained 20,000 dues paying members. Labor doesn’t have to work against company. Management doesn’t need to take a negative stance against labor. SOSO.

I disagree. If you are selling subpar watermelons for $1.00, and it cost you $1.05 to sell each one, you don't look to sell more watermelons. You look to cut your costs. The market has already determined that subpar watermelons are only worth $1, you can't sell them for $1.10.

YRC didn't do anything better than their competition, they had to sell on costs.

I have no idea what the management to hourly employee ratio is at all the carriers. Feel free to dig up that information on your own and draw your own pre-conceived conclusions.
Maybe re read original post I said “it’s a raw metric”. Might give you a clue, like wait a minute what are we doing here.
Obviously less employees, more efficient methods, and less handling of freight.

Blade, you might want to "speak for yourself" on that one. Quite a few of my group (me included) have college degrees, some of us multiple college degrees. We have a very interesting group of backgrounds, everything from probation officer to criminologist to accountant to educator to social worker to district manager for a retailer. Yep, we all worked at Yellow!
Not trying to be a wise ass, but what did any of those degrees have to do with anyone's performance as a dock worker or driver? (Just asking for a friend!) :bananapartyhat:
Not at all knocking having additional education, but even educated people can be slugs. :idunno:

Show me an instance where the IBT has supported "streamlining". Streamlining means increased efficiencies. Increased efficiencies means fewer dues paying members producing the same work.
2009 Yellow got concessions from the IBT (actually the members) and streamlined and closed some terminals over the next couple years....in 2013 ABF got concessions and closed some terminals also...

2009 Yellow got concessions from the IBT (actually the members) and streamlined and closed some terminals over the next couple years....in 2013 ABF got concessions and closed some terminals also...
I see a distinction between supported and acquiesced.

Wow, I hope I don't have to explain why a labor union would be less than enthusiastic about supporting "streamlining"
Nope, no need. I completely understand why they wouldn't and shouldn't be. I asked for an example of the IBT supporting streamlining, you listed a couple in response.

Not trying to be a wise ass, but what did any of those degrees have to do with anyone's performance as a dock worker or driver? (Just asking for a friend!) :bananapartyhat:
Not at all knocking having additional education, but even educated people can be slugs. :idunno:
That's a fair question, and here's your fair answer: Those who have made it through all that we've been through have very strong organizational skills, tend to understand the dynamics of business extraordinarily well, and have better-than-average deductive reasoning skills too. Glad you asked; glad to share.

Accepting can be a way of support. Was the union membership supposed to leap out of their chairs and wave banners in the air?
No, not at all. That's my point. They don't support, but rather occasionally accept, changes that need to be made. Changes their competitors can make without near the delays or resistance.

Blade, you might want to "speak for yourself" on that one. Quite a few of my group (me included) have college degrees, some of us multiple college degrees. We have a very interesting group of backgrounds, everything from probation officer to criminologist to accountant to educator to social worker to district manager for a retailer. Yep, we all worked at Yellow!
I have a degree in accounting and finance. Went to work at Preston at age 25 because it paid more than I could earn with my degree.

Two things, Blade: 1) I notice ABF is "hangin' right in there". 2) Yellow's big operational management problem was: they kept constantly trying to re-invent the wheel instead of greasing the wheel they had and making sure to check the air pressure. In 32 years, I saw so many "programs" come, make a lot of noise and quietly go. The company went "back to basics" after every group of failed experiments. They should have stayed the course, but they didn't. It was a rudder-less ship. Let's see: the Gold Program. Spent MILLIONS on that! Metroliner. Come and gone. Exact Express. Worked fabulously! What did they do? Scuttled it in favor of TimeCritical, which was a substantial flop. The DEKRA safety initiative. Spent a fortune, then sat on it for nearly a year. The Point and Call. Never pointed, never called, but spent millions gearing up for it. The Safety Trainer program where they turned both of those over to rank-and-file teams. That was a really smart move that they should have done years earlier, but they didn't want to yield control.
Yup. ABF is hangin' in there. One out of 1000+. BTW, somebody has to be the last man standing.

No, not at all. That's my point. They don't support, but rather occasionally accept, changes that need to be made. Changes their competitors can make without near the delays or resistance.
Yes they do support. Every time they accept, it means they support. That’s all they need. It doesn’t matter if they say they don’t have to like it. And so what if it involves a process, which both sides are fully aware of. I’m sure you love having your opinions valued, don’t you? Competitors don’t give that option. Tell your non-union boss what you really think when you witness something crooked, see what happens next. You see, there are conformists and nonconformists.

And some with degrees can’t accept ideas for subordinate individuals with out degrees.

Strange that all of your comments hinge that the only problem is the labor contract. Management has proven they don’t accept changes either. Take a look at the travel program, they burnt through money like a drunken sailor. Instead of stepping back prior to implementing it and laying out some solid rules and guidelines. Fly a guy home on Saturday and turn around and fly him right back to where he came from on Sunday. Now put a spin on that and tell us the operational details on that one.

Yes they do support. Every time they accept, it means they support.

There are plenty of things you can accept without support. You can accept a situation and not necessarily support it. All that real estate between opposition and support is acceptance.