FedEx Freight | Single

worthless

TB Lurker
Credits
So this week I start running solo. After 10 yrs with hubby I'm on my own. Yoohoo. S**t don't tell him I said that. LOL. What should I take with me besides my logbook of couse( I don't haul no logs, I ain't got no stinking log book) tire gauge, gloves, extra pig tail. My iPod , very important, . Think I will be sharing a truck. Doing a relay 300 miles out and back. And hubby follows behind 30 mins later. Tried to get him to go the other way but he wouldn't LOL. So watch out i'm on my own.

I travel light, 2 bags, because we still slipseat in KC. One bag has my clorox wipes, cleaning supplies (glass cleaner, broom, fabric freshener, etc.) spare fuses, glad hand rubbers, windshield washer check valve, headlight adjustment tool, and a spare set of clothes with toiletries in case I go through.

My other bag is my cooler where I pack my lunch, 5 waters, my snacks, drink mixes and my log book.

I carry a Gerber multi-tool on my belt. If I can't fix it with that, the shop will have to call a mechanic.

Congrats on the 600 miler and sum freedom! Just to add to guardrails impressive list, I'd include a good flashlight, a fifth wheel puller/combo tire knocker, cell phone charger and enough money for a few meals. And if your barn is stingy like mine, invest in an spare electric cord[pigtail] . And, most of all, go over your truck with a fine tooth comb. Write up everything from tires to antennas, radio to the seats, make sure they work. Carry 1 gal of oil,coolant, washer fluid and check it. A good pair of gloves for the easy stuff and a throw away for the dirty. Goodluck and be safe

Had to move 1000 miles from home. But teams are done. So I'm thinking maybe I should get a little roller suitcase like I see so guys pulling, or would I seem a wuzs. Crap don't answer that HC64 LOL. Thanks for the input.

[quote author=worthless link=topic=81733.msg843833#msg843833 date=1278338449]
So this week I start running solo. After 10 yrs with hubby I'm on my own. Yoohoo. S**t don't tell him I said that. LOL. What should I take with me besides my logbook of couse( I don't haul no logs, I ain't got no stinking log book) tire gauge, gloves, extra pig tail. My iPod , very important, . Think I will be sharing a truck. Doing a relay 300 miles out and back. And hubby follows behind 30 mins later. Tried to get him to go the other way but he wouldn't LOL. So watch out i'm on my own.
[/quote]

I carry a bunch of zip ties.
A roll of duct/gorilla tape.
A couple bungie cords.
A hammer for thumping tires and knocking gladhands into place.
Some assorted hose clamps.
Extra placards.
A can of Blaster.
A (very) basic ratchet set.
A multi-tip screwdriver (includes star tips).
Some extra headlight bulbs.
Couple vice grips.

Nothing like I used to carry when I was OTR, but enough to fix some minor problems vs. having to wait on road repair.

Why would you carry all of that? We've been told time and time again at freight that we are barely qualified to drive the damn thing, much less fix it.
All you need is a flashlight, tire thumper and cell phone to get someone that is qualified to fix it. Oh, yeah, and a wristwatch so you'll know what time the delay clock started.

[quote author=hairbear link=topic=81733.msg844181#msg844181 date=1278428694]
Why would you carry all of that? [/quote]

It's Varnco, that's why. I doubt the fact that he even drives.

So Mikey V would annoy me if I saw him in person too, not just online!

What is your personal vehicle Mike, a Snap-on tool truck??

Oh, and a hammer for knocking gladhands into place? That explains why I always wonder who the hell was beating them to death with a hammer! Sometimes a little finess tops brute force - making everyones job easier down the line!!

[quote author=hairbear link=topic=81733.msg844181#msg844181 date=1278428694]
Why would you carry all of that?[/quote]

I like having spare headlights.
Stick em' in when they go out and have no problems rolling thru a scale.
Had a buddy like you who refused to fix anything...got popped with a Level 1 after scalemaster pulled him round back for having no headlight.
Or the guy who had a leaky valve on a dolly.
No tools...dude got stuck at the T/A for 3 hours for a job that took 10 minutes.
I like carrying spare placards...one of those blows off and DOT sees you missing one...have fun explaining that.
Tape for sticking them on those old Watkins trailers with no placard holders.
Gladhands pop off old Freight warhorse boxes with the stationary gladhands all the time...I'll stick a pair of vice grips on em' and they'll stay on.
Or the time I had a twin-screw tractor and a another driver brought me a Freight box...used the ratchet set to take the mudflaps off...got back to the yard and put em' back on. Total time = 15 minutes.

You people like getting delay pay for doing nothing.
I like rolling down the road and going home.
I guess that's the difference.
Whatever rocks your boat, I suppose...

WOW you guys get to fix your own trucks. We were told that we are not allowed to fix ANYTHING or to keep any tools in truck. Call for help ,but do not repair anything. I keep a hammer, flaslight ,tape ,cell phone & charger,zip ties,glad hand seals ( you can replace those yourself without a hand slap) my snacks and water. We can't carry extra coolant ,oil and the like. I guess these rules are just for freight not national.

End of my first week and I'm worn out. Between moving and running all night sure am glad the weekend is here. Pissed a power transport off cause I took his run. He ask why he didn't get it anymore and they told him a company driver had transferred in and we got first choice.

I ran a 3/2 620mi run for awhile (not here) It sure does wear you out till you get use to it! Paycheck sure looks good though!

[quote author=thebeerboy link=topic=81733.msg845363#msg845363 date=1278789494]
Guardrail carries rubbers hehehe tehehehe
[/quote]
STILL FUNNY :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :grouphug: :hyper: :biglaugh: :shift:

[quote author=Mike Varnco link=topic=81733.msg844344#msg844344 date=1278465891]

You people like getting delay pay for doing nothing.
I like rolling down the road and going home.
I guess that's the difference.
Whatever rocks your boat, I suppose...
[/quote]

I have made 29 dollars and change in breakdown pay so far this year and don't even carry a screw driver - how 'bout you Mr. Mike the Mechanic????

[quote author=worthless link=topic=81733.msg843833#msg843833 date=1278338449]
[/quote]

Do ya mind me asking what barn you transfered from and to. thanks