Yellow | Standing Up For Our Pensions!

Shouldn't they been going on the offense back when there were more union companies still around instead of running it up to the cliff and Hoping that the government will the bail them out

Shouldn't they been going on the offense back when there were more union companies still around instead of running it up to the cliff and Hoping that the government will the bail them out

Thats about like asking a guy in the ER having a heart attack why he didn't quit smoking 25 years ago.

Here in the west, we were kicked out of the pension fund due to the fund not being able to accept a reduced amount, now were in the Teamster 401k. Rumor has is that a petition is be circulated to all Locals involved to get is back in.

The only way the union could go for stronger pensions in the industry today, is for Hoffa to get his good buddy in the white house to re-regulate the trucking industry. De-regulation was the beginning of the decline of the trucking industry and it`s been going downhill ever since. I think we all know that re-regulating this industry is never going to happen. It`s only going to get worse with the Mexican trucks ,if and when they start running more and more of their trucks in our country. The business climate just continually gets worse for the organized trucking sector. I`m just glad I`m not starting out in this industry today.

The only way the union could go for stronger pensions in the industry today, is for Hoffa to get his good buddy in the white house to re-regulate the trucking industry. De-regulation was the beginning of the decline of the trucking industry and it`s been going downhill ever since. I think we all know that re-regulating this industry is never going to happen. It`s only going to get worse with the Mexican trucks ,if and when they start running more and more of their trucks in our country. The business climate just continually gets worse for the organized trucking sector. I`m just glad I`m not starting out in this industry today.

I doubt that would ever happen Sgt. The whole idea and reason the gov deregulated the industry was to destroy the teamster bargaining power. They did a good job. A very good job

I doubt that would ever happen Sgt. The whole idea and reason the gov deregulated the industry was to destroy the teamster bargaining power. They did a good job. A very good job

So you two are saying the only way the Teamsters can sell their service and expand membership is through government manipulation of the free market?

So you two are saying the only way the Teamsters can sell their service and expand membership is through government manipulation of the free market?

No reasonable man would dispute this administration and the Fed are manipulating the market. The only way the pension can improve is a strong legitimate comeback in the stock market. Right now the stock market is propped up with low interest rates disguising the Obama debt bomb

Nice job Sarge! I think you nailed this one. And a special thanks to the TDU crowd for always pointing out our Teamster shortcomings without offering any REAL solutions.

No reasonable man would dispute this administration and the Fed are manipulating the market. The only way the pension can improve is a strong legitimate comeback in the stock market. Right now the stock market is propped up with low interest rates disguising the Obama debt bomb

I agree with everything you just said. But trucking regulation is still government manipulation of the free market.

I agree with everything you just said. But trucking regulation is still government manipulation of the free market.
Stoney,What is left in this country that is totally free from government manipulation? If you buy food,the FDA has their hands in it. If you go to the doctor,he is licensed by the state he practices in. If you drive a car you need a license,register a car,you need license plates. Cell phones, gasoline, clothes, if you go fishing you need a license and then they tell you how big a fish must be before you can keep it. Everything is taxed,so the government either directly or in directly regulates everything. I`m the biggest fan of capitalism there is,but it`s fading away fast in this country. This government wants to use regulations to pick winners and losers..It`s beginning to look like they want to have complete control of everything and everybody through massive regulations. Maybe I`m getting paranoid in my old age,but I remember the days of less regulation and less government control and there were good jobs,most people working and people seemed a lot happier than they are today.

Stoney,What is left in this country that is totally free from government manipulation? If you buy food,the FDA has their hands in it. If you go to the doctor,he is licensed by the state he practices in. If you drive a car you need a license,register a car,you need license plates. Cell phones, gasoline, clothes, if you go fishing you need a license and then they tell you how big a fish must be before you can keep it. Everything is taxed,so the government either directly or in directly regulates everything. I`m the biggest fan of capitalism there is,but it`s fading away fast in this country. This government wants to use regulations to pick winners and losers..It`s beginning to look like they want to have complete control of everything and everybody through massive regulations. Maybe I`m getting paranoid in my old age,but I remember the days of less regulation and less government control and there were good jobs,most people working and people seemed a lot happier than they are today.

But does the government set the prices? Do they tell the cell phone companies what they can charge? Do they tell a Dr what he can charge?
The FDA regulates safety(so they say). Not the price of meat.

Now I agree they over regulate, that's why I'm against more.

Rifraf said:
Nice job Sarge! I think you nailed this one. And a special thanks to the TDU crowd for always pointing out our Teamster shortcomings without offering any REAL solutions.

I'm not tdu fan...organizing is the only answer

Rifraf said:

Not big fan of tdu . Only way is to organize which is a lot harder said than done. They are re regulating electronic logging is just the start.

I agree somewhat with the more regulation in our industry.its made a comeback.the only thing missing is there aren't any ICC men running around checking for rights.wait..that's the DOT.if you look at it.we are being strongly regulated.sleep apnea tests.cdl license with finger prints and a file from the TSA and FBI and CIA

They Deregulated:
Trucking
Airlines
Savings & Loans
Banks
Wall Street(but they got bailed out you know that free market stuff)
Electricity(here in Texas except for two cities Austin where the politicans are and San Antonio where a lot of them live)

How is that deregulation stuff working for ya Mr. Taxpayer

They Deregulated:
Trucking
Airlines
Savings & Loans
Banks
Wall Street(but they got bailed out you know that free market stuff)
Electricity(here in Texas except for two cities Austin where the politicans are and San Antonio where a lot of them live)

How is that deregulation stuff working for ya Mr. Taxpayer

You need to learn the difference between deregulation and government munipulation of the free market.

You need to learn the difference between deregulation and government munipulation of the free market.

So two wrongs make it alright?

Everything I listed was deregulated or the regulators looked the other way while the consumer or taxpayer was being *****!

So two wrongs make it alright?

Everything I listed was deregulated or the regulators looked the other way while the consumer or taxpayer was being *****!

Who said deregulation was a wrong? N the banking industry wasn't deregulated. And not all banks got in trouble. Just the dumb bigger ones that got into the sub-prime mess. Many of the smaller banks did just fine didn't need no bailout.

For that matter, the bigger banks didn't need a bailout either. The government just tricked you into believing the sky would fall in if they didn't get a bailout. The Federal government basically forced the bigger banks to give sub-prime mortgages, and decided to insure these sub-primes. If not for the Federal government along with Fannie and Freddie, the banks would have been fine, and the housing crises would have never happened.

The deregulation of the Airline industry resulted in cheaper flights, and allowed more of the middle class to fly much more. Southwest Airlines is doing ok. Explain that.

If you take each example you listed and just a little research, you'll find the problems each encountered were due to many other reason other than deregulation.

The Tax Payer didn't need to be *****. No bailouts were needed in any case.