FedEx Freight | Starting early and working for free

Gaspump

TB Lurker
Credits
As per company policy...we are not allowed to perform any company functions before punching in for the day...3 min before your start time or 3 min after. We in Cleveland have several that enjoy doing this(coming in before thir start time...loading their trailer.. hooking up etc) Every supervisor in Cleveland is aware of this going on and choose to look the other way...This one driver opened up another drivers trailer door after his door was closed to hide a pallet jack so he would have one for later...The other driver then departed with his door open and spilled the pallet jack out on the road and almost got fired...received 3 days off. This driver who was on the dock 40 minutes before his start time felt bad and claimed he would never do this again...3 days later he was right back at it. On Tues 7-7-10..this same driver tried to hook up 20 min before his start time...He high hooked the trailer and almost smashed the back of the KW...2 dock guys were summoned to come out and lift the trailer off the tractor....As he was pulling out he almost ran another city guy over...all this when he wasnt even on the clock...This driver is already on the bubble from multiple accidents (2 in one day)and is always in a hurry..Why Why Why is this permitted to go on..I have pointed this guy out several times with no results. Management doesnt give a damn...all about numbers...All i say is this guy better not ever hurt anyone here..Does this happen at other terminals?

Now that you are in that big center and so far away from cleveland, a guy has to do something to get empty by noon.....

At CMH (columbus oh) our inbound dock never closes the trailer doors. The city guys do it when they hook. Just the way we do things in our little corner of the globe.

Yep in mnt same thing The pallet jack problem you have we dont have yet but I see it coming we have guys on dock at 830 getting trailers ready and such and their start time is 900.All this to keep mgr off. their backs about gate time.All mgr is concerned with is numbers not customers or problems just numbers. One of the new city drivers hit a boulder in his 1st week in streets doing damage to the front bumper his response was he got frt back to terminal in a timely manner thats how bad they are rushing new employees nothing good comes out of chasing numbers

To make it more clear...here is one example of what happened...Driver A closes his trailer door and the overhead door of the terminal..and prepares to leave...Driver B working for free 40 minutes before he is even suppised to be there, reopens driver A's Door for the sole purpose of hiding a pallet jack that he plans to put in his own trailer later....Driver A already had shut both doors, hooks and pulls out dropping his pallet jack on the road.....Driver A gets 3 days off and is now on the bubble. What if someone was on a motorcycle and ran into the jack and died?..This dude stopped doing this for 3 days, and now is right back to doing it....Riding around on towmotors...hooking up etc...all off the clock....Red Shirts look the other way......Driver B happens to be an accident waiting to happen, Why they let this go on is disturbing.....He almost whacked a driver again Tues being in a big hurry....Not a problem till someone gets hurt or Dies i guess.....Unreal!!

Document all this. Call HR. Get the name of the person you talk to. Ask what kind of case would someone have if they were injured by a worker off the clock with the full knowledge of management. Let them know you're documenting the call with time, date and names.

The only way this kind of thing is stopped is when someone in the chain of command gets slapped down. Someone needs to be slapped down hard. Basically, it's falsifying documents, (payroll) and juggling the numbers, (moving lbs per hour with no cost involved).

Never under any circumstances should anyone do this. Do you have surveillance cameras at this center? They will tell the tale. Like Franklin said- document everything dates, times, and names. All you have to do is go through an accident investigation to make you never ever do anything off the clock. The individual is personally liable for his falsified log. And, Fedex will NOT stand behind you at ALL if you falsify anything like start times. The OPS mgr. will be fired over this. Maybe the service center mgr. too

Gee ....

Why would someone work while off the clock .... if you get hurt or hurt someone ... well ... what else needs to be said.

:shift:

:grouphug: .. this is not a group hug place we work at

This same thing used to happen at our center on a regular basis. A good portion of the city drivers would come in 45 min. early every day to get their assigned tractor, fuel it, hook it to trailer, load some or all of their freight, put pallet jack and two wheel in trailer and hurry up and punch in at 900. Now I must admit that all these fellas did get alot better treatment than men who didn't lift a finger before 900. This went on for roughly 2.5 years but luckily this doesn't happen anymore at our barn. We have a lady that strictly forbids any work being done off the clock that wont be paid for. I know what you all are saying about this subject....been there, done that. :grouphug:

We have a "supervisor" who everyday comes in early to start his work. He's still designated as a driver, but he clocks in hours after he has already been there working on reports and dealing with dispatch. (He's the PM "super"). They save money by not making him a "real" supervisor, and take advantage of him. His crew likes him though. He's a great guy. It's not worth what he gives away with the full knowledge of local management.

I work early and free. There is front end dock built into my road bid and if my tractor is there before I start on the dock I always go grab a dolly before I clock to the dock, so technically that is working early for free.

Cleveland is just in a bad mood after loosing Lebron so don't sweat it.. Even though I know nothing about FedEx Freight in Cleveland other than where the barn is I'm guessing that's what is is.. It was like holding an hour TV special to tell your wife you're gonna leave her for a younger chick with amazing tata's..

Sorry Cleveland..

No he doesn't know where it is and this post was started before the "Betrayal". To bring it up (LeBUM) in a thread about working for free is idiotic.

I can asure you aint NOBODY working for free at our barn.....anybody who does what u stated above is an idiot. Why would somebody do that?????? To please the man???????? Cmon when they fire you for being an idiot.....you gonna go to his house on the weekends and wash his car and clean his house in a thong?????????? What a little BI%$^

One more thought on the subject :buttkisser:thats what they are a bunch of little :buttkisser:............still cannot figure out why grown a$$ men would think that if they do all this work for free,then the man is gonna show them favortism when something big happens YOUR just a NUMBER theres a hundred others wating for your JOB.......Do your job and do it well then the man can't say nothing to you and when he does stand up for yourself tell them the facts and get a spine!!!!!!! Sorry to rant on but that behavior is stupid......yea go grab a dolly while ur waiting on your hooks no big deal but to move trailers and break frieght fuel your truck hide pallet jacks not check your backdoor before pulling from the dock??????? you should get canned you little bumch of :buttkisser:............ok I'm done I feel better

Her is an update on the City Driver doing Free and illegal work (against co policy)...He was finally told by a supervisor on Tuesday i believe, to go sit in the breakroom..and to stop performing work functions b4 he punches in, which he did. The next day, that supervisor was not at work (vacation?) so the driver went right back out there and was working again 30 minutes before his start time....unloading and reloading his truck...Freakin unreal......Dont mean to pick on just this one driver, but to be fair he is the one i see doing it...I guess we have a handful doing it.....1 guy per start time basically....We have city guys that start at 830am and when they are coming in for the day at say 820am...other drivers that start with them are already hooked and ready to leave the yard...I really dont get it?????

Gas pump my best advice for you is too watch your back worry about your own loads......one day that fella will really screw up and be gone.....probably get a job at Con-way :biglaugh:

FEDEX Just installed about 100 new cameras at out new facility in Richfield (seems more like 1000)...At least some of the managers who claim they dont see this going on, can now be shown a slow motion replay with a time stamp on it...hahah...Good luck to all involved.... :grouphug: