XPO | Sterling Trucks

cityman

TB Lurker
Credits
I just read on Transport Topics Online that Sterling will shut down it's two plants that make Sterling trucks. They will no longer will make this brand. From what I see out on the road Con-way only uses Sterling tractors except for a few Volvo sleeper trucks that were brought over from their truckload division. I wonder what brand they will switch over to? Anybody know?

A few years back I heard Bruce W. (Head of Maintenance for Southern) say that they had threatened Sterling with the intention of going to Volvo if Sterling didn't start turning out a better product. I'd say Volvo, if not Freightliner (because of CF ties).

There was a press release, last week I think, about how Navistar (International) has entered into some relationship with Con-Way. (Not about buying trucks, but about being a preferred carrier, or something like that.)

But, maybe since the two companies are apparently so close now, it wouldn't be a very big leap to think that the two entering into a relationship in the regard of buying/manufacturing trucks will happen in a year or two.

One of the drivers is trying out the new tires to see if they keep the Sterlings from shaking so much. Well, thought I read on here one of the mechanics said that it's pretty much a factory defect?? Someone recall this?

And isn't there already 2009 Sterlings out in the system now?

They will just keep rebuilding the sterlings ,cause they won't find any one to make a truck striped to con way specs.

The only good things I can say about the Sterling's is great visibility and good traction control. Whatever they decide to get next has to be better. I would imagine they would try to work a deal using Freight and Truckload's buying power for one or two truck suppliers.

One of the drivers is trying out the new tires to see if they keep the Sterlings from shaking so much. Well, thought I read on here one of the mechanics said that it's pretty much a factory defect?? Someone recall this?

And isn't there already 2009 Sterlings out in the system now?

no to the 2009's .. they are still filtering in the 2008' that were on order.

There was a press release, last week I think, about how Navistar (International) has entered into some relationship with Con-Way. (Not about buying trucks, but about being a preferred carrier, or something like that.)

But, maybe since the two companies are apparently so close now, it wouldn't be a very big leap to think that the two entering into a relationship in the regard of buying/manufacturing trucks will happen in a year or two.

Navistar out of Warrenville, IL ... it is a menlo account.

march 09, no more sterlings

The last orders for Sterings will be 1/09, with all orders done by 3/09. Another article said they will transition customers over to Freightliners. I guess that means any customers that have contracts will be getting freightliners instead of Sterlings if they agree.:1036316054::smilie_132:

You bet. Sterlings are garbage. Cheap hard breaking plastics, oversteering, thumping, rattling pieces of crap. Good riddance!

no to the 2009's .. they are still filtering in the 2008' that were on order.

Ok, thanks! :1036316054: I do know my husband has a sore back when he gets home in the mornings and blames it mostly on the beating of the truck. I can remember my dad doing the same complaining back when he was trucking.

I thought they were testing some internationals at one point.

Oh yeah - I forgot about that! Can't you just imagine yourself driving down the highway in your very own prestigious International Con-way Freight tractor? I guess they don't call it the "poor man's Pete" for nothin'.

Sterling is moving operations to Mexico, they are not going out of business: Watch for the other truck manufacturers to follow.

Sterling is moving operations to Mexico, they are not going out of business: Watch for the other truck manufacturers to follow.

The parent company is opening a assembly plant in Mexico to produce other brands. The Sterling brand will be discontinued. So to clear up any confusion nobody is going out of business, Daimler is no longer going to make the Sterling brand truck.