XPO | Sterling Trucks

The parent company is opening a assembly plant in Mexico to produce other brands. The Sterling brand will be discontinued. So to clear up any confusion nobody is going out of business, Daimler is no longer going to make the Sterling brand truck.

Most if not all Freightliners are now assembled in Mexico.

That's true but when they shut the sterling plant in Portland down there moving the military vehicals to north Carolina wonder if they will move the Columbia brand to Mexico to make room time will tell

as far as i know conway needs a brand that can use the detroit diesel series 60 or the new epa world engine the detroit15 series so that means no volvos not sure if international can have them or not. bu that only going by what we get a mojority of our training on its all been on detroit engines. also we arent going to be getting any more city units what we have will be run into the ground all heavy's from now on. that's my 2 cents worth have a great conway day:1036316054:

as far as i know conway needs a brand that can use the detroit diesel series 60 or the new epa world engine the detroit15 series so that means no volvos not sure if international can have them or not. bu that only going by what we get a mojority of our training on its all been on detroit engines. also we arent going to be getting any more city units what we have will be run into the ground all heavy's from now on. that's my 2 cents worth have a great conway day:1036316054:
i think you can get the dd15 in all types of trucks except volvo and mack i seen a kw last week with one but i think frieghtliner is really pushing this engine

My husband's L/H truck is also used during the day as a city truck. Is this usual or just at smaller terminals?
:hide: That is business as usual at all terminals, big or small. Why have a truck that only runs 12 hours per night when they can be used for the city operation?
I personally love my city unit. Hope Brad is wrong about phasing them out....probably not! :smilie_132:

:hide: That is business as usual at all terminals, big or small. Why have a truck that only runs 12 hours per night when they can be used for the city operation?
I personally love my city unit. Hope Brad is wrong about phasing them out....probably not! :smilie_132:

Thanks! Drat, have to put something else in because 'your message is too short'. There, that should let me post this :1036316054:

Sterling will be no more. The Mexico plant they are opening is for the Freightliner Cascadia. Both the Canada plant and the Portland plant will be closed next year. In my humble opinion we will be going with a freightliner or possibly International, but we have a lot of buying power with Daimler so I think freightliner is more likely.

the company i work for has 2 sterlings were supposed to be pitt ohio but we got them rattles, steering shakes so bad loud sounds like cab grinds on frame terrible

well i drove a 2000 sterling for 6 years and it was a good, reliable, fuel efficent truck. only broke down a few times. was a bit rough even though it was air ride. air ride cab would of had solved alot of that though. started great even at -40 up here in canada. my 2008 is a great truck, longer frame, turning radius too. too muck of a gap between the fairing and trailer, thus too much air drag and wasted fuel. nice ride and very quiet. a few engine light come on ocassionally but it seems to be when it is extremely cold and does not last long or shut down.only thing i would improve is to put in a stereo.

seems I remember hearing the head of maintenance doing an interview with some transport magazine and he said the Conway LTL's will be getting the 375,000 mile TL trucks and they will be converted to daycabs by Road Systems...so more or less we will be driving KW's, Volvos, etc. with the C15's and 10 speeds just broken in by Truckload.

well i drove a 2000 sterling for 6 years and it was a good, reliable, fuel efficent truck. only broke down a few times. was a bit rough even though it was air ride. air ride cab would of had solved alot of that though. started great even at -40 up here in canada. my 2008 is a great truck, longer frame, turning radius too. too muck of a gap between the fairing and trailer, thus too much air drag and wasted fuel. nice ride and very quiet. a few engine light come on ocassionally but it seems to be when it is extremely cold and does not last long or shut down.only thing i would improve is to put in a stereo.
I still can't believe people work when it is -40 outside!

Single digits is all i can handle.

conway is going to IH bunch in XDE with a university study. Rerunning VORAD of all things and cameras on the mirrors for lane control and get this a comera on the driver at all times.

...and get this a comera on the driver at all times.

This may be a part of the study.

If not and it is something the company is seriously considering then they can :butt kiss: goodbye!!!

I won't be spied on as if I were a criminal, terrorist, or sexual deviant. I do my job to the best of my ability...and if that isn't good enough then see ya'! If they are considering doing this they are stone cold insane.

Not that I wouldn't put it past them or any such thing. This would be the epitome of micro-managment to the nth degree.

I suppose the argument would be in the case of an accident there is video proof of the drivers actions in tandem with the info provided by the on-board computer. Like the dash cams the LEOs use.

I for one won't tolerate it...under any circumstances...we pay good...but not that good!!!

Rat :loser:

This may be a part of the study.

If not and it is something the company is seriously considering then they can :butt kiss: goodbye!!!

I won't be spied on as if I were a criminal, terrorist, or sexual deviant. I do my job to the best of my ability...and if that isn't good enough then see ya'! If they are considering doing this they are stone cold insane.

Not that I wouldn't put it past them or any such thing. This would be the epitome of micro-managment to the nth degree.

I suppose the argument would be in the case of an accident there is video proof of the drivers actions in tandem with the info provided by the on-board computer. Like the dash cams the LEOs use.

I for one won't tolerate it...under any circumstances...we pay good...but not that good!!!

Rat :loser:
I talked to a Fedex express driver a few days ago and he said all of there semi trucks had a microphone in the cab so they can monitor if your talking on the phone and such.

I talked to a Fedex express driver a few days ago and he said all of there semi trucks had a microphone in the cab so they can monitor if your talking on the phone and such.

They can stuff that idea too!

I will make them want to not listen to my conversations...and (trust me!!!) I can be very prolific at this!

Rat :flame:

I will make them want to not listen to my conversations...

Great English, no?