Yellow | SUMMARY OF 2011 HOS FINAL RULE PROVISIONS Changes Compared to Current Rule

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
summaryof2011hosfinalru.jpg

so we can still drive 11 hours????

From this link : Questions & Answers

A. Is the driving time limit being changed from the current 11 hours?
No. In the NPRM, FMCSA proposed changing to a 10-hour limit or keeping the current 11-hour limit, with a preference for the 10-hour option. FMCSA examined many studies on the relationship between work hours and health and safety, both in trucking and other industries; reviewed the comments and information submitted to the docket, mostly in opposition to a 10-hour driving limit; and completed elaborate analyses in accordance with Presidential Executive Order 13563*, “Improving Regulation and Regulatory Review,” of the costs and benefits to health and safety of 9-, 10-, and 11-hour driving limits. In the absence of compelling scientific evidence demonstrating the safety benefits of a 10-hour driving limit, as opposed to an 11-hour limit, and confronted with strong evidence that an 11-hour limit could well provide higher net benefits, the Agency has concluded that adequate and reasonable grounds under the Administrative Procedure Act for adopting a new regulation on this issue do not exist and that the current driving limit should therefore be allowed to stand for now.

So yes the 11 hours is still in .

I think I see a potential problem with the new rules under a certain scenario. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Suppose I've reached my 10th hour since I initially came on duty. Suppose also because of circumstances (wait time at via, drop/hook time, etc.) I'm coming up on 8 hours since my last 30 minute off-duty period but I need exactly 4 hours of driving time to reach my home terminal. If I have to follow the regulations and take a 30 minute off-duty break then I won't be able to complete my trip without going over the 14 hour elapsed time rule. Am I correct? Any comments?

Then you can't get home. Due to E-logs I've run into that now. I sometimes have to shut down 20 miles from home.

Then you can't get home. Due to E-logs I've run into that now. I sometimes have to shut down 20 miles from home.

Sure, it has been the case ever since the 14 hour rule was put into effect but at least on some occasions, you could possibly skip a break/meal (and ignore that growling in your empty stomach) if you had to in order to make it to your destination legally. Now, in certain situations, you'll be forced to take that 30 minute off duty break even though doing so might prevent you from completing the trip before the 14 hits. Just pointing out the possible conflict - "Rule of unintended consequences" so to speak.

I think I see a potential problem with the new rules under a certain scenario. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Suppose I've reached my 10th hour since I initially came on duty. Suppose also because of circumstances (wait time at via, drop/hook time, etc.) I'm coming up on 8 hours since my last 30 minute off-duty period but I need exactly 4 hours of driving time to reach my home terminal. If I have to follow the regulations and take a 30 minute off-duty break then I won't be able to complete my trip without going over the 14 hour elapsed time rule. Am I correct? Any comments?

The proposal before the final allowed us 2-2 hour extensions in one week, which would have covered your sceniero. However, no word in the final. I assume the extensions are a no go.

Window dispatching will be harder now. Not only will the co and driver have to contend with 11,14 & 70, now the 30 minute break
will play a major role.

The dates of compliance are not untill 2013. That surprised me!

For me, often I fight traffic to outrun a snowstorm in the Rockies. This will shut me down so the storm catches up. Elogs ensure it. I'm used to the Government 'looking out for my safety' by now! :LMAO:

So.....WTH is the big deal on this?
What did they "tighten up" on?.....bunch of BS if you ask me.....now lets move on and get this COO published and out to all the Locals involved!.....KK

So.....WTH is the big deal on this?
What did they "tighten up" on?.....bunch of BS if you ask me.....now lets move on and get this COO published and out to all the Locals involved!.....KK
I saw a couple things that can really make things interesting for guys with e-logs; but...considering what I THOUGHT COULD have happened.......Life is GOOD!

Taking a 1/2 hour break after 8 hours, no problem. I take at least an hour if I'm working 14 hours.

guess the companys had deeper pockets than most of us thaught .

I'm just glad they kept the 11 hrs Driving. My Company's warehouses are 600 miles apart, and Indy only has a fleet because our Main Plant/ Warehouse is 74 miles farther. If we were limited to 10 hrs, no one could make the run in 10 hrs, so they prob would do away with my fleet, and just run the Main Guys to save money.....

The only companies I see being affected by the new rules are YRC and ABF because they run alot of 6 day, long laydown bids. This can be easily fixed by changing to 5 day bids.(i.e) 2 long laydowns and a turn on the fifth day. But this only comes into effect for resetting, which the company could probably care less about as they want to maximize the number of hours the drivers work with little or no regard for his or her health or family life, as they have proven all these years.

The only companies I see being affected by the new rules are YRC and ABF because they run alot of 6 day, long laydown bids. This can be easily fixed by changing to 5 day bids.(i.e) 2 long laydowns and a turn on the fifth day. But this only comes into effect for resetting, which the company could probably care less about as they want to maximize the number of hours the drivers work with little or no regard for his or her health or family life, as they have proven all these years.
guess you never considered that these rules cover a million Truck Load drivers too?

I read through the new reg's and they say that the majority of irregular route full load drivers average about 52 hours per week. I realize that this doesn't cover all of drivers because they are getting the info from the companies and drivers that responded to proposed rule changes. My comment was really meant for ltl's. Conway and Fed Ex and alot of the other ltl's run Monday to Fridays for the most part.