FedEx Freight | Teamsters Roll Call...Who's getting the ball rolling?

Exactly...what is getting off early? I tried to get out early (mind you, not early as in less than 8 hrs, early as in 10 hrs) for two weeks in order to go to the clinic to get my DOT physical completed. Only when I threatened calling off to get it done did they accomodate me.
FMLA you can take off anytime you want once you fill out the paperwork and have it approved. Why get fired for messing up on ice during the winter, just call in and say I need an FMLA day. They can't say a thing. They force these things themselves. I've told them more than once my health and the health of my family come first. FedEx is way down on my list of things I care about.

Can anyone here tell me exactly which centers are voting and when. We had a meeting other day with upper management obviously denouncing the union thing. Which states are they working and which centers please.

Up front, I am seriously on the fence about it all. I look at it as not being a simple cut and dry situation. It's not simply voting yes and were good to go. It is very complex, at least to me. I'm not looking at it as if any issues I have or others will be taken care of and otherwise all else will remain the same and everybody is happy. Everything will change, a wide array of areas for better or worse. In no particular order: what about all the benefits provided by the company? Many known, and others not. Some you may use, some never but still pretty nice to have. What about the flexibility of getting a day off at times, or accommodations for getting off early for special events, you name it. It would take a massive post to cover everything, this is just off the top of my head. While everybody is ticked off right now and are ready to pull the trigger asap, calmer heads need to prevail. Do we just toss all that aside like it has no value? Maybe so. I doubt the company will continue to offer these things, or your center willing to be as accommodating at times if we voted the union in. Any one thing by itself can be brushed aside as insignificant compared to the immediate issues, many may never use them, or place little value on them. The choice is simple for some, but what about others that place value on any of the other benefits or things afforded as it is now and for sure will not be continued? That's just one or two aspects to add to all that has been talked about. I place value on some of this that others may deem useless, but this along with some other areas keeps me on the fence for now. For sure, I'd like to see managers that know how to manage, that aren't arrogant, condescending, full of themselves, wear kneepads when around superiors or talk to you like a teenager. We need less people being hired because they have a good salesman schtick and can BS their way into any position. Different hiring criteria or standards. The drivers know the good, the bad, and the ugly

Sounds like you work at a center that has not yet gone through "The Change". We used to have all that, now after all the vacation weeks are bid, you can put in for a vacation/personal day and it will likely be disapproved. Unless you tell them it's medical and you WILL be out that day (no matter what), or call in sick, you can forget it. As for getting off early for something... very unlikely. If it really is important, like your kid's graduation or something, best just to call in sick or risk missing altogether.

If you are at a center still operates like you describe, I can understand you being on the fence. I would be too. Just beware, change is coming. If your manager doesn't play ball, He'll be replaced by one that will parrot regional Mgmt aggressively. Sadly, you won't like it and your "currently cool" supervisors are going to hate it as will office people too. That was the series of events here and it's ongoing.

Just a heads up, that's all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone here tell me exactly which centers are voting and when. We had a meeting other day with upper management obviously denouncing the union thing. Which states are they working and which centers please.

Why would you have a anti-union meeting with the company? According to some the unions have no power.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forum Runner

Name a hub in central or eastern US. There's your answer. Almost every hub has a group spearheading this campaign. Contact a regional organizer and find out if you're unsure. Once the hubs are on-board, the satellites will soon follow. The smaller facilities are waiting for the larger ones to put things in motion to avoid freight diversion.

Sounds like you work at a center that has not yet gone through "The Change". We used to have all that, now after all the vacation weeks are bid, you can put in for a vacation/personal day and it will likely be disapproved. Unless you tell them it's medical and you WILL be out that day (no matter what), or call in sick, you can forget it. As for getting off early for something... very unlikely. If it really is important, like your kid's graduation or something, best just to call in sick or risk missing altogether.

If you are at a center still operates like you describe, I can understand you being on the fence. I would be too. Just beware, change is coming. If your manager doesn't play ball, He'll be replaced by one that will parrot regional Mgmt aggressively. Sadly, you won't like it and your "currently cool" supervisors are going to hate it as will office people too. That was the series of events here and it's ongoing.

Just a heads up, that's all!

The center I'm at is changing, almost constantly, like throwing things at the wall hoping it sticks, no good?, lets try this, it's just that some see things quicker or slower (like me!) in some cases. I'm not very fond of some in management, I actually can't stand some simply being in my life at all period, to put it bluntly, and kind of make it clear as to why with my views in another post. I see it sometimes directed at me, I used to let it go, not anymore though, but mostly I see it a lot of times directed at other drivers. That is BS and is my main gripe. They (in management) don't belong here. They aren't going to change, Others seem inept or simply flailing about trying to keep up, there may be hope, I doubt it and some you gotta keep your eye on and keep tabs. Unfortunately I don't interact much with the "cool" ones, yet from what I hear they ain't so happy with the way things are going either.
So that's the immediate problem, then there is the company as a whole. The pay/benefit issues, and others such as seniority among other safety related issues for instance that have been discussed at length, I'm in agreement, it's just that I'm not so fed up and ready to pull the trigger tomorrow or do a knee jerk reaction deal. We all have a threshold, and when you hit it you hit it. All I can say is when you have employees that seemed content, positive no matter whats been thrown at them, could keep a bad day to themselves and seemingly all of a sudden not that way anymore "we got a problem"
Just one peons view of things...

Why get fired for messing up on ice during the winter, just call in and say I need an FMLA day.

This is what is wrong with the country today. You are not a driver, you are a steering wheel holder. If you don't have any more confidence in your abilities than that, you need to find a different line of work. If everyone in this country called off because they were afraid they would screw up..... Oh wait, most do.

Guardrail

I'm not afraid I'll screw up but I am afraid of people who think they are do good that they can drive on anything. I've been out here for 35 years I've been there and done that. I'm not going to hurt myself or anyone else trying to stay away from drivers who just think the are pros and all fedex is interested in is getting the freight off the yard they don't care if you sleep in your truck or a motel. The don't give a flip about you or your family. I'll get my next paycheck. Will you mr professional truck driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I told you in the PM, there is a difference between pulling over for bad weather and just calling off because of weather.

Guardrail

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help Guardrail It's because of people like you that I stay off the road in bad weather. But keep up the good work I see how you got your handle.

Next question Guardrail. How may years have you been a professional truck driver ? How many states and countries have you driven in?

I'm not going to get into a dick size contest with you. I don't need to prove anything to you or anybody. I do my job in any weather, at any time, when it needs to be done. If I encounter adverse conditions, I deal with them safely and appropriately. I have never, nor will I ever not show up for work because of the weather.

I got tired of the BS (much of it caused by the other drivers) and left FedEx for a much better job.

Guardrail

Lol that's what I thought And I don't care about the size of your little peepee. Yeah I know. Lmao.

I'm not going to get into a dick size contest with you. I don't need to prove anything to you or anybody. I do my job in any weather, at any time, when it needs to be done. If I encounter adverse conditions, I deal with them safely and appropriately. I have never, nor will I ever not show up for work because of the weather.

I got tired of the BS (much of it caused by the other drivers) and left FedEx for a much better job.

Guardrail

Guardrail and feudal would you 2 please stop. You 2 are doing what FEDEX wants. Us fighting among ourselves. We have to be united or this will fail! There is gonna be a little sunshine before a worse storm hits and we have to get this through or we all may not survive the next storm!

Guardrail

Seems to me a professional driver is one who makes a sound judgement call when it comes to weather... I've been like you and hurried off the yard BEFORE they had a chance to cancel the run (when I ran road), only to wish I hadn't. Drivers behind me were cancelled. No accident but some close calls. There are icy conditions in my neck of the woods that occasionally warrant the professional driver saying NO, not worth the risk. Just sayin'