ODFL | The End For P/D Doing Weekend Linehaul?

DayliteDean

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
As I understand the new HOS requirements(starting 7/2013)the 34 hr.clock reset has to include being off duty between 0100 and 0500 twice in the break,if my understanding of the rule is correct seems that would pretty much eliminate weekday city drivers from working line haul on the weekends,eliminating a major source of income for a lot of our drivers,plus be a major inconveniance for wild and extra board drivers.How do you think these new regs will effect You?

well i would be curious as to what od would do like you said it would pretty much end the p/d drivers working weekends. would od then require linehaul to work weekends? most have extra time running just 5 days. and then there is that whole the world is comming to an end in 2012 so its no going to be an issue,lol.

The way I read it you have to be off 1 am-5am two time's on a 34 hour restart.Don't see how that will affect a sat. trip for p&d.I alway's make sure I"m back in by 9pm on a sat trip.So I can restart at 7am monday morning.Which if I get in later no big deal.I let local dispatch know when I will be ready to go.The only one's that will be affected will be the guy's in linehaul that run night's.Like sced. guy's or wild driver's.The only other thing that will afect us will be the one 34 hour restart.That will stop the extra run's.For example alot of time's I will take off during the week.My hour's will reset so then I would run through the weekend&keep working through the next week.But, really I don't see how that will affect two much.You will run out of hour's sometime the next week.If you take that day off then your hour's are still good till the weekend.Because you start gaining hour's back.So really it will not affect LTL that much.

It will stop all the driver's who go out west&stay out for a month.Because you have to reset at your home term.So no more stay-out on OD in 2013.

Don't see how it will affect city unless they're running nights on the weekend. I'm pretty lazy and don't get moving until around 7 anyways on the weekend. But now I'm even more lazy and just don't run period on the weekends. Been making some decent money with all the pay raises over the past few years. Get me 42-45 hrs a week and I'm set.

Yep!only look's like it will affect the guy's who go&stay out for week's&the guy's who run at night.I work has much has I can.Usually getting around 50 hour's during the week & alway's try to get something on Sat.linehaul.If I can't get out by lunch on a turn I usually will not mess with it because I alway's get called in early on Monday's.
Don't see how it will affect city unless they're running nights on the weekend. I'm pretty lazy and don't get moving until around 7 anyways on the weekend. But now I'm even more lazy and just don't run period on the weekends. Been making some decent money with all the pay raises over the past few years. Get me 42-45 hrs a week and I'm set.

BLU runs on driver's home terminal time, even if assigned a different time zone based tractor, ounce driver logs on. Wild Driver would have to request a short run if longer would run him past the 01:00 hr. Could be sitting upto 52hrs in motel. I usually split an extra Sunday night run every other week with another of our drivers. Looks like in a year and a half, that will stop, if held up in court. Shows how those who don't do, make the rules, will adjust. Just that the day bids done before 01:00 have a another run if available. Except when on vacation, I try to keep close to same sleep schedule on off days.

Was one of the 1st to see that BLU automatic logs driver to home time location. Had tractor go down in SAC. Assigned West Coast timed tractor, Ounce logged in, time switched to Central time for me, yet tractor screen would switch back to West Coast time when I logged off. Central wasn't sure it would until I did it, and reported that it was automatic.

Never really thought about that.But,does make since.I'm testing the BLU2 now.Second unit first unit had to be replaced because peoplenet sent some updates that was not for mine&it blew it up.lol..So far so good on second one.Very nice features that are being tested now for future replacement's.I'm the only one with the new system.Very nice&update's are very driver freindly&are thing's that we complain about with the reg. blue.
Was one of the 1st to see that BLU automatic logs driver to home time location. Had tractor go down in SAC. Assigned West Coast timed tractor, Ounce logged in, time switched to Central time for me, yet tractor screen would switch back to West Coast time when I logged off. Central wasn't sure it would until I did it, and reported that it was automatic.

Glad to hear that. On March 18th at 03:21, went to arrive in KCY. Had such a major crash/system failure. All records for past 6 month had to be reconstructed from PeopleNets main frame. Wiped out my whole record. Talk about a mess.

this could be why David Congdon said OD was going to hire more drivers this year.I would think he has read the rules already before they were final.

Although the 70 hour in 7 days rule may hurt alot of wild drivers that take 34 then take off again
I know the new reg would of hurt me when I ran wild,in '05 and '06 the volume of freight was so heavy in lanes such as DEN-SLC-SAC and ODO-PHX or PAR-DEN you could pretty much write your own paycheck! after sitting in your hotel room for 34 hrs you were itching to go!!

well i think if you ran linehaul you would have to wait til sunday night to run. then your 34 would have already reset. i have done that in the past.

Gate Time 8:00pm return usually by 8:00 am Mon through Fri. The other man who's gate time is hour or so after mine discussed this last night. We now switch the extra Sun night run. This wii be eliminated for us come July 2013. Just silly, since like most our life styles are based around running nights. Now, if in and out time was reversed. The Sun run would be available. LTL business and service requires our gate times. Just seems silly for those who want to work. Those who have morning gate times or P/D, even day dock workers, have more flexability. Larger terminals or relay point drivers will have to figure this. Know certain locations that send a set out for meets about every hr or less. People who work 9 to 5 did the rules, not based on common sense. I'll adjust, maybe catch a few more Sun evening sporting events over at KCY, I'll be up anyway.

If you got paid overtime after 40 hours you wouldn,t have to work weekends ever heard of the teamsters you might want to look it up sometime. Your company brags about record profits and increased revenues. Seems to me from what i see on the streets a lot of that comes from cutting rates. That is great for the customers shipping freight but what about compensation for the drivers busting their asses 60 hours a week for straight time pay. Do the math 20 hours at time and a half. If you can't figure that out then shame on you. They are ripping you people off.