XPO | The end of linehaul as we know it

martha stewart

TB Lurker
Credits
The first time I saw a outside contractor tractor show up at our house... I thought... wow is this the begining of the end... Why should Conway pay for over the road tractors. pay for fuel, pay for drivers(making a lot more than CFI), pay fines and all the other costs related to night time line haul? Why not just throw it all on a team CFI or some other company team and run it at night. You cant see Conway at night... so run the contractors at night and let the conway trucks run during the day
full sun CONWAY!!!!!!

The first time I saw a outside contractor tractor show up at our house... I thought... wow is this the begining of the end... Why should Conway pay for over the road tractors. pay for fuel, pay for drivers(making a lot more than CFI), pay fines and all the other costs related to night time line haul? Why not just throw it all on a team CFI or some other company team and run it at night. You cant see Conway at night... so run the contractors at night and let the conway trucks run during the day
full sun CONWAY!!!!!!

Except they are running our day L/H too.

They are consistently carrying more and more.

We've used Purchased Carriers on & off since I've been with the company.(1989)It's nothing new,although at our SC I have noticed we've been setting up our runs back east,south & where ever we send long boxes too.They've been mostly CFI or Conway truckloads of lately anyways.

full sun CONWAY!!!!!!

I told you this a long time ago...The 75k LH jobs are going to go bye bye...Con-Way is not going to pay that kind of money when they can get a sub-service carrier to do it for much less...simple economics.

(And spare me the argument on having been promised Con-Way freight will never be hauled by anyone else...the old and tired argument of the freight always being on Con-Way trucks...that was then and this is now!!!)

There are going to be more and more SS carriers as time moves along. It is the wave of the future and every carrier is doing it!

Rat :loser:

I told you this a long time ago...The 75k LH jobs are going to go bye bye...Con-Way is not going to pay that kind of money when they can get a sub-service carrier to do it for much less...simple economics.

(And spare me the argument on having been promised Con-Way freight will never be hauled by anyone else...the old and tired argument of the freight always being on Con-Way trucks...that was then and this is now!!!)

There are going to be more and more SS carriers as time moves along. It is the wave of the future and every carrier is doing it!

Every carrier is a lot of carriers.

Ok they preach that the TDC makes us safer drivers but in the meantime we are hauling our customers freight on SS carriers that we don't know anything about their drivers history???? Doesn't make sense.

I can see them running everything far, but they cannot get rid of LH all together, but in my thinking they will have us run everything short so we can work the dock longer, so much for staying with the company to get enough time in to get the long runs!!

Ok they preach that the TDC makes us safer drivers but in the meantime we are hauling our customers freight on SS carriers that we don't know anything about their drivers history???? Doesn't make sense.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any Con-Way trailers going by behind a diesel locomotive on a flat car.

Maybe I've just missed them.

We've used Purchased Carriers on & off since I've been with the company.(1989)It's nothing new,although at our SC I have noticed we've been setting up our runs back east,south & where ever we send long boxes too.They've been mostly CFI or Conway truckloads of lately anyways.

It has changed drastically here over the last 4 years or so. It started with more long boxes being used to eliminate empty miles off the East Coast. It progressed to using them on short runs to end of line terminals such as Sharon loading Western Express for XEG (270 miles one way). It has now reached the point where we load them off the East Coast back to the mid-west. Two Werner's were loaded the other night in Milton bound for Chicago-land. If sequenced properly, 350 of the roughly 600 miles could be run on Con-way triples. We were always told SUB-service was to eliminate empty miles so why would we load them in a back-haul lane?

Last night the lunacy progressed to a new level. Half-way through the FAC a call was made to load two west-bound long boxes. So instead of pulling loads, the terminal affected was now going home (250 miles one way) on 5 empties with 5 drivers. Again, much of the distance covered in this lane would be on our triples. Just after this, I heard the FOS discussing the fact Milton was loading a long box for South Plainfield, NJ. This is about 170 miles one way. I'm sure that freight made it in time.

This morning, once again, west-bound trailers we pulled home from the FAC were stripped out and loaded on vans for the 500 remaining miles to eliminate our day line-haul. What is funny here, I have been pulling empties east-bound at least once a week now and when I get to Newburgh I see SUB-service vans that are all one or two codes. They would have made some nice pures in my empties. Maybe so much Sub-service is being used east-bound that it has become our back-haul lane.

Sorry for the length but I despise Sub-service. I keep hearing how slow we are but in my area Sub-service is the biggest reason for the lay-offs - not bill count or tonnage.

It has changed drastically here over the last 4 years or so. It started with more long boxes being used to eliminate empty miles off the East Coast. It progressed to using them on short runs to end of line terminals such as Sharon loading Western Express for XEG (270 miles one way). It has now reached the point where we load them off the East Coast back to the mid-west. Two Werner's were loaded the other night in Milton bound for Chicago-land. If sequenced properly, 350 of the roughly 600 miles could be run on Con-way triples. We were always told SUB-service was to eliminate empty miles so why would we load them in a back-haul lane?

Last night the lunacy progressed to a new level. Half-way through the FAC a call was made to load two west-bound long boxes. So instead of pulling loads, the terminal affected was now going home (250 miles one way) on 5 empties with 5 drivers. Again, much of the distance covered in this lane would be on our triples. Just after this, I heard the FOS discussing the fact Milton was loading a long box for South Plainfield, NJ. This is about 170 miles one way. I'm sure that freight made it in time.

This morning, once again, west-bound trailers we pulled home from the FAC were stripped out and loaded on vans for the 500 remaining miles to eliminate our day line-haul. What is funny here, I have been pulling empties east-bound at least once a week now and when I get to Newburgh I see SUB-service vans that are all one or two codes. They would have made some nice pures in my empties. Maybe so much Sub-service is being used east-bound that it has become our back-haul lane.

Sorry for the length but I despise Sub-service. I keep hearing how slow we are but in my area Sub-service is the biggest reason for the lay-offs - not bill count or tonnage.
Good observation Jake.

It's hard to imagine that all of the inefficiencies associated with sub service make up for the cheaper (and better looking I might add) sub service labor. Am sure corporate will tell you it's worth it but I doubt they are inputting all the factors affected into their highly developed calculations.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any Con-Way trailers going by behind a diesel locomotive on a flat car.

Maybe I've just missed them.

in florida they were using FEC florida eascoast railway ...that was in 2006 ....from jacksonville, fl down to ft.lauderdale and miami railyards roughly i guess 400 miles...either would be con-way pups riding the rails or FEC own railbox that we would use...but not anymore, i think it was replaced with sub service carriers

come on guys,get youre winter jump suits on,and load those england,werner,crst,landspan,ffe,western ex....do ireally need to go on,,,,,trailers....this company doesnt hire drivers they hire dockman who can drive.

um .32 cents per mile sleeper team, no outbound loads right now, got some local deliveries for you both, take those 2 days cabs, it's $10 a stop so you divers can make some money while waiting for an outbound load.:biglaugh:

hey dock boy hurry up and get those trailers loaded for the drivers.:nutkick:

um .32 cents per mile sleeper team, no outbound loads right now, got some local deliveries for you both, take those 2 days cabs, it's $10 a stop so you divers can make some money while waiting for an outbound load.:biglaugh:

hey dock boy hurry up and get those trailers loaded for the drivers.:nutkick:

Wow.. Could this be next?

.... Just after this, I heard the FOS discussing the fact Milton was loading a long box for South Plainfield, NJ. This is about 170 miles one way. I'm sure that freight made it in time.

XMI loads long boxes to XSD on a regular basis. They're called city vans that get PM'd at XIX. XMI does not load subservice to XSD, not at least since I've been there.

We do have subservice carriers that via thru coming in from XAU, we strip the misc freight off the back, tail load XBH or XJP proper for instance then continue them on to the end of line terminal.

We may even load subservice for terminals that are short linehaul DSR's...that's going to be the wave of the future.