Yellow | The Truth about Tyson Johnson

Zip,
Very well written. Your theory is great IF you don't believe that YRC is in a jam at all and all of this is a big conspiracy to eliminate the Freight Division. It's also a great theory if you think that they want to help bankrupt all other employers who contribute to the CSPF including every Local. I really don't have an opinion about the Chinese Carrier but I know it was and is being done on even more borrowed money and so it's probably in jeopardy too at this point. The Chinese would be more than happy to pocket the down money and re-control the Carrier.

As far as the full length of the NMFA goes it's been reported that the lien holders are dictating the terms to help insure YRC's viability....not Bill Z.....because for all practical porposes they own us now......they just don't run the day to day operations.....although that might not be a bad idea either....especially if the ran CDO.

Zip, here's the deal. Nobody likes what is before all of us. And I'm not gonna sit here and say they're doing a great job representing us. What I am saying, and have been all along, is that I'm not convinced that any other regime, if faced with today's real problems, could have done a better job in this mess.......unless, of course, all of this talk of YRC having financial problems is really a big facade to get rid of the Freight Division since it's only 3% of the Union but the most expensive to maintain.

Merry Christmas and be careful up there.

Zip,
Very well written. Your theory is great IF you don't believe that YRC is in a jam at all and all of this is a big conspiracy to eliminate the Freight Division. It's also a great theory if you think that they want to help bankrupt all other employers who contribute to the CSPF including every Local. I really don't have an opinion about the Chinese Carrier but I know it was and is being done on even more borrowed money and so it's probably in jeopardy too at this point. The Chinese would be more than happy to pocket the down money and re-control the Carrier.

As far as the full length of the NMFA goes it's been reported that the lien holders are dictating the terms to help insure YRC's viability....not Bill Z.....because for all practical porposes they own us now......they just don't run the day to day operations.....although that might not be a bad idea either....especially if the ran CDO.

Zip, here's the deal. Nobody likes what is before all of us. And I'm not gonna sit here and say they're doing a great job representing us. What I am saying, and have been all along, is that I'm not convinced that any other regime, if faced with today's real problems, could have done a better job in this mess.......unless, of course, all of this talk of YRC having financial problems is really a big facade to get rid of the Freight Division since it's only 3% of the Union but the most expensive to maintain.

Very well said Dude!

Zip,

I don't believe in conspiracies, I do believe in reality though. This regime that is ruining this Union don't have the know how to conspire to begin with. You can't tell me that a company that made record profits in 4 of the last 5 years of the last contract, doesn't have a rainy day fund. Billions & billions of dollars gone, disappeared, vanished & we're broke. This wasn't money borrowed, this was money earned. No matter what we do, Yes/No it won't matter, if they P***ed away that much in profits in less than a year, what do you think these concessions are going to do? ESPECIALLY when the same morons are running the company. YRC was already approved for the rest of the purchase the Chinese LTL co.

As far as the CPSF, they have more money than they're letting on, they're as good at their books, as you are with your log book & believe me, i can make my log book say anything i want it to. Do you really think this regime gives a damn about that? Do you really think this regime needs that lousy pension? & besides theirs is different than ours anyways. Their pension is better, their insurance is better, their wages are better, their all around benefits are better. Does that have a familiar ring to it? Kinda sounds like a company don't it? Just follow the history of our fearlous leader, He was a failed atty., he screwed the newspaper workers, he's NEVER been a truck driver, hostler, dock worker, in fact he's never done any job, anywhere that we do, & yet he represents us. He's a politician & we all know how good a politicians word is. I've met Hoffa, he was a low class legal representive for 337 & he screwed us there too. He will be the downfall for all of us, if he was a "true blue Teamster" (like his daddy) he wouldn't have given himself a raise & he sure wouldn't have taken a COLA in these tuff times & showed us some kind of solidarity.

Tyson sat in on these COO's & talked a "big game" & then when it came time to holding the company to their end of the bargain. He curled up like whipped puppy dog & snarled away. I can't believe 1 word this regime says, its been lies from the beginning & they will continue to buffalo us until we wise up & finally say enough's enough, but i think its to late. Since this regime has been in control, its been 1 failure after another & i don't see anything changing. It really ticks me off that ALOT of hard working Teamsters worked their entire life to get this union strong & this regime has ripped apart in a matter of a couple years.

D.R.I.V.E. was suppose to be our ears in Washington, thats worked out well hasn't it? Join D.R.I.V.E. & have your voice heard, what a crock!!! Yeah they're working on this "Right to Work" bill going to help us in organizing. Now how we gonna do that? What can we tell these non-union company drivers? Come be a Teamster!, take a pay cut, we'll give you a pension, MAYBE, you'll get company paid insurance, its not as good as yours & you'll have to fight with them to pay your medical bills, but you won't have to pay for it. You'll get work rules, when the company will honor them, if not file a grievence, we'll hear when we get ready & we'll use a black book decision from 1829 from a company that hasn't been in business for years against you. Come on, look whats going on around us, Do you really think we're in as good as shape as the 70's? when things were really tuff.

I am sure the 15 -20 thousand Teamsters who will be cut in this merger, will be out looking for union jobs after this debacle. Oh thats right, there isn't anymore union freight companies around anymore, that raise in union dues to help organize & have a strike fund was money well spent? It makes you wonder, who makes a bigger salary at YRC? Hoffa or Zollars?

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!!!!

Ok , I'm recovered from the thriller GIANTS OT WIN , to give this some comments.
First , to STLDUDE , thanks for the PM ,you're a stand up brother . I think we agree on alot , and agree to disagree on the rest .
To all of you readers, I transferred to KC from NY . I have a few friends well versed in the financial world . We all agree that YRCW is in trouble . Should they be in trouble ? No , but they are .
Given the circumstances ,I voted yes on the giveback , though I felt like a gun was to my head .
As to Dude's request as to what would I do , here it is .
1 - Stop lying to the members . Best contracts ever ? Didn't protect pensions , gave them utility workers ,lost innocent until proven guilty to name a few .
2 - All votes counted together . See my other thread "selling New Penn"
3 - No dividends paid until our wages are 100 percent .
4 - stock price for warrants TBD at either the lowest price in the last 60 days or price average in the last 60 days .To buy the stock at probably the highest price in the last 60 days is what we got when the IBT agreed to the price after the votes are counted .
5 - This is history repeating itself .So many companies have folded , yet the NMFA hasn't been given any power to protect us .
I'll leave it at that . Though I have plenty more to rip in the contract , the original question was about now .
God bless you all ,and have a very Merry Christmas .

Zip,
I think we'll have to disagree on what the "record profits" really were. Yes, on the ledger sheet savings look like profit....so do fuel surcharges. But when, as I was told by a very wise BA a few years ago, the synergy flattens out....and it pretty much has between Y and R, they won't be able to make things look like they're really doing well because the savings won't be there anymore as they are year after year for about 4 or 5 years. Now the surcharges are down too. You can believe it or not but that same BA said very bad times were coming to Y and R if they didn't again start making a profit moving freight instead of having to rely on synery and fuel surcharge to make the ledger sheet look acceptable to the shareholders. We're here Brother. Except it's even worse than he said it would be due to the near depression we find ourselves in. He saw it coming. YRC also had to...and therefore I'm sure the IBT knew too.

It was discussed in Scottsdale last year in negotiations....if not right out in the open, certainly in the hallways. I heard about on day 1 or 2. So what you view as Hoffa/Johnson ripping the Freight Division apart these last few years I see as them being in the survival mode for a lot longer than most of us could have even dreamed of. I'm not patting them on the back about their secrecy.....and I can see how most of us are damn disappointed in that aspect of their handling of the situation, and rightfully so. Even to the extent that no Local can even get a transcript of the May COO as of yet. That leads me to believe that the IBT really believes that YRC is all but finished if they're not willing to release the transcript so 8.6 grievances can be accurately filed using YRC's own words to support our claims. My opinion, and of course I could be wrong, is that it's much worse than many are willing to accept. It's hard to wrap our heads around that fact. Otherwise there's absolutely no motivating factor for the IBT to turn it's collective head at what we see now as far as enforcement of the NMFA and the May COO's are concerned. I think it's being done out of desperation....the kind of desperation that can only come when the last NMFA carrier of any size is about to fold up. And if we do ABF won't last long.

These are real issues that I personally can't imagine having to make decisions on that will affect 50,00 or so good, hardworking Teamsters. Again, I may be all wrong but that's the reality I see and have seen for some time now.

Ok , I'm recovered from the thriller GIANTS OT WIN , to give this some comments.
First , to STLDUDE , thanks for the PM ,you're a stand up brother . I think we agree on alot , and agree to disagree on the rest .
To all of you readers, I transferred to KC from NY . I have a few friends well versed in the financial world . We all agree that YRCW is in trouble . Should they be in trouble ? No , but they are .
Given the circumstances ,I voted yes on the giveback , though I felt like a gun was to my head .
As to Dude's request as to what would I do , here it is .
1 - Stop lying to the members . Best contracts ever ? Didn't protect pensions , gave them utility workers ,lost innocent until proven guilty to name a few .
2 - All votes counted together . See my other thread "selling New Penn"
3 - No dividends paid until our wages are 100 percent .
4 - stock price for warrants TBD at either the lowest price in the last 60 days or price average in the last 60 days .To buy the stock at probably the highest price in the last 60 days is what we got when the IBT agreed to the price after the votes are counted .
5 - This is history repeating itself .So many companies have folded , yet the NMFA hasn't been given any power to protect us .
I'll leave it at that . Though I have plenty more to rip in the contract , the original question was about now .
God bless you all ,and have a very Merry Christmas .

John K.
Thank you Sir. I agree there should be no secrets or lies. About the Contract I think that it's a direct result of what we now all know....that YRC was and is in big trouble. I fully agree that they shouldn't be too. I really don't disagree with the rest much. I sure don't have the wisdom to be able to judge if this is the best the IBT could do for us now....I guess that really depends on just how fast the doors would close if they didn't agree to at least let us decide our own fate. And I hope we never have to find that out. Obviously they thought it would be very soon. Take care Bro.

i have been away from the union for a while,but i do remember how tyson talked his game when nationsway was around. i think he and mcmorris were married to each other

Zip,
I think we'll have to disagree on what the "record profits" really were. Yes, on the ledger sheet savings look like profit....so do fuel surcharges. But when, as I was told by a very wise BA a few years ago, the synergy flattens out....and it pretty much has between Y and R, they won't be able to make things look like they're really doing well because the savings won't be there anymore as they are year after year for about 4 or 5 years. Now the surcharges are down too. You can believe it or not but that same BA said very bad times were coming to Y and R if they didn't again start making a profit moving freight instead of having to rely on synery and fuel surcharge to make the ledger sheet look acceptable to the shareholders. We're here Brother. Except it's even worse than he said it would be due to the near depression we find ourselves in. He saw it coming. YRC also had to...and therefore I'm sure the IBT knew too.

It was discussed in Scottsdale last year in negotiations....if not right out in the open, certainly in the hallways. I heard about on day 1 or 2. So what you view as Hoffa/Johnson ripping the Freight Division apart these last few years I see as them being in the survival mode for a lot longer than most of us could have even dreamed of. I'm not patting them on the back about their secrecy.....and I can see how most of us are damn disappointed in that aspect of their handling of the situation, and rightfully so. Even to the extent that no Local can even get a transcript of the May COO as of yet. That leads me to believe that the IBT really believes that YRC is all but finished if they're not willing to release the transcript so 8.6 grievances can be accurately filed using YRC's own words to support our claims. My opinion, and of course I could be wrong, is that it's much worse than many are willing to accept. It's hard to wrap our heads around that fact. Otherwise there's absolutely no motivating factor for the IBT to turn it's collective head at what we see now as far as enforcement of the NMFA and the May COO's are concerned. I think it's being done out of desperation....the kind of desperation that can only come when the last NMFA carrier of any size is about to fold up. And if we do ABF won't last long.

These are real issues that I personally can't imagine having to make decisions on that will affect 50,00 or so good, hardworking Teamsters. Again, I may be all wrong but that's the reality I see and have seen for some time now.

The "record profits" was reported by all news agencies CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, FOX (not really a news agency, more a tabloid), Yellow, & Teamsters, all these experts were wrong? Yellow buys & sells companies like there baseball trading cards after they rip, tear & step all over them. They have single handedly ruined & put numerous union companies out of business & now they want help from the Teamsters & our regime hands it to them on a silver platter. NO RESTRICTIONS, NO GUARANTEES, NO JOB SECURITIES!! All i'm saying is there's another set of books that they're not showing. On the backs of Teamsters YRC has bought & built other non-union companies, the Teamsters had a "Golden Opportunity" here to gain members & help solidify the union & they balked.

This regime has been full of lies & misleading statements from the beginning. Do you not remember Hoffa, in Chicago, slamming his fist down & holding a hammer? Hoffa- "Union freight will be run by Union drivers" & put it in the contract, & then gives it up in the very next contract? Hoffa- No dues increase? highest dues increase EVER increased, & then gives himself a raise? Hoffa- We will put Overnite under the NMFA, & then gives them a white paper contract? This contract helps UPS workers & Teamster execs. NO ONE ELSE. Hoffa- We will put unity back in this union? We are the most divided we have ever been!, We have a YRC Agreement, not an NMFA. Hoffa- We will protect union workers & their jobs, Allows a Utility position that EVERYONE NEW would eliminate jobs & job classifications. Hoffa- We will protect pensions & benefits? Cuts our pension in half, eliminates 25 & out, our health ins. is equal to burger floppers. Hoffa- (Yellow buys Roadway & USF) We will not let this company eliminate union jobs, we will watch over this & make sure this company abides by the NMFA? WATCH THEY DID!, Watched as YRC eliminates 15-20 thousand union people, Watched as they took 1 of the most profitable companies (USF) & turned them upside down. These are just a few things this regime has manipulated us with, when are we going to wake up & realize, THIS MAN IS NOT A LEADER!!!! Rename him "The Pied Piper" His regime keeps blowing the same tune & we follow him like a train, & we are in for 1 helluva wreck!! The secracy & deception of our leaders (Teamsters & YRC) is ripping this union apart, I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH UNEASINESS & FIGHTING AMONG RANK & FILE in all my years as a Teamster. We might as well forget about that May COO transcript, by the time it is released (If Ever) it'll be to late anyways. Over 300 grievences filed against it, & none settled? More than just a coincedence I'd say.

u know u all keep talking about lies told by hoffa & zollars but u never specify what they r. take them to court, show up at their offices & raise hell talking is cheap.

Zip,
The numbers representing the record profits were real. It's how they came about that you might be missing. All of the news agencies you mention reported the numbers correctly. What nobody was telling was how those record numbers were achieved. Again, it was synergies and fuel surcharges.......and a little bit of profit from actually moving freight. All people do is look at the numbers and think "Man, this is great! Yellow and Roadway are really kicking butt.".....they weren't. At least not in the realm of what they're in business to do.....move freight and making a profit doing so. I think that if it would have been diced up back then we actually might have been operating at a much higher percentage than what the record numbers showed had it not been for the savings and surcharges. If I remember correctly it was reported that both Y and R, back then, were somewhere around 93.5 to 94.5......I could easily be off by a little. Take out the savings and surcharges and we might have been around 98.0....not very good at all. About like we are reporting now....since the savings have all but flattened out and fuel has gone down making the surcharge do the same. The bottom line here is that savings for a few years that will eventually not be significant from year to year will not sustain a for hire carrier. Only profit will do that. Hauling freight at a higher cost than what it costs to move it.

I admire your hopes for unity but that's been a pipe dream for years now Brother. The old time Teamsters are mostly all gone and today it's hard to get many to stick together unless it suits their own personal agenda. Sad but true, the good old days are gone forever. Not Hoffa, not Leedham, not even God could bring it back at this point. Campaign promises by political hopefuls are always in abundance but rarely followed through on. No Teamster President can tell a signatory company who to buy or when to buy them. Nor can they tell YRC how to run the Companies they purchased. They could not make YRC stop Holland from double stacking skids of freight causing major damage and they couldn't make YRC have Holland move all of their freight nightly (like they used to) instead of waiting for trailers to fill. These were poor business decisions made by bean counters but not something the IBT had any control over. YRC screwed up Holland, period.

I don't think you can organize those who don't want to be either. I've never blamed the IBT, no matter who was in charge, for not organizing. People have to want to be organized or you're just spinning your wheels, so to speak.

Zip, I share your unhappiness with the entire situation. I guess all or most of us do who pay attention to what's going on around us. However I don't think things would be much different now no matter who was in charge when the events leading to today's crisis were developing. Like I've said, my BA told me about the bloated record profits while they were being posted so surely the IBT and I'd bet most Agents knew it also. They were powerless to change anything YRC was doing business wise though. Yellow, Overland Park, long ago traded good knowledgeable freight movers for college educated bean counters with MBA's who knew and still know nothing about a good blend of moving freight and keeping customers happy. That is the sad truth about why we are at the point we find ourselves at. Try to have a Merry Christmas Bro.

Kelder, Smith,
You two are quick to critcize this Admin. although I never see any suggestions on what they should have done given the lousy circumstances they've had to deal with. Tell us all what you would have done and would be doing right now. Let's hear it.............

I agree stldude44
While we point fingers, lets ask ourselves this. How many of us have talked to the non union side face to face on the road about the Teamsters?
How many of us have ran down the road bashing the union on the c/b for every one to hear?
Although I know The teamsters have slipped as far as organizing other freight companies, we haven’t helped much either.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

I agree stldude44
While we point fingers, lets ask ourselves this. How many of us have talked to the non union side face to face on the road about the Teamsters?
How many of us have ran down the road bashing the union on the c/b for every one to hear?
Although I know The teamsters have slipped as far as organizing other freight companies, we haven’t helped much either.
Amen Murph. And at the risk of really getting blasted here I think that TDU has been at the forefront of helping lose many an organizing campaign. Non Union companies use printouts from their website to turn potential new Teamsters against joining the mess that TDU always describes as a political tool to attempt to regain power. A lot of so-called Teamsters today only want to be Union on payday (unless dues come out that week) or when they get into trouble. You wouldn't believe how many asked me for directions to the Hall for the YRC meeting a few weeks ago. Like I said, the good old united days are long gone, sadly.

I agree stldude44

Hi Murph ,
I walk the walk. I have been on our side of the table .And its not the CB anymore ,its the internet. Every financial analyst I have talked to knew about this site .
And the organizing must start with the smaller companies ,as they are compensated so much lower than us or a big non union like FEdEx, who I'm told is taking a paycut of 10%.Which throws Zollars statement of evening the field betrween us and non union out the window .
Keep it real , and Happy Holidays ,
John

Amen Murph. And at the risk of really getting blasted here I think that TDU has been at the forefront of helping lose many an organizing campaign. Non Union companies use printouts from their website to turn potential new Teamsters against joining the mess that TDU always describes as a political tool to attempt to regain power. A lot of so-called Teamsters today only want to be Union on payday (unless dues come out that week) or when they get into trouble. You wouldn't believe how many asked me for directions to the Hall for the YRC meeting a few weeks ago. Like I said, the good old united days are long gone, sadly.

I watched "brothers" retire on a 30 year pension that had never been to a union meeting .SAD

I watched "brothers" retire on a 30 year pension that had never been to a union meeting .SAD
Isn't it though? Actually a few weeks ago a 34+ year man asked me the phone number and the location because now that it looked like a 10% cut might be coming, he was considering retirement.

Isn't it though? Actually a few weeks ago a 34+ year man asked me the phone number and the location because now that it looked like a 10% cut might be coming, he was considering retirement.

Yahoo! Let him retire Dude, that will help me and your brother out.