Yellow | The unnecessary & ongoing battle between the Teamsters' union and Yellow Corp.

Hotboy Ice

Banned
Credits
Teamsters, it might be time to question your supposed union Leader's overly bold statements/actions of the past few months. I'm letting you know that he's legit putting at risk 22,000 of your own jobs and another 8,000+ of your fellow non-union brothers'/sisters'. The time to play a game of chicken isn't while the ground freight market is at a bottom with (notably) depressed demand...and Yellow ain't no UPS. Think about your families and the significant loss of benefits that could very well occur just before the Holidays hit. Regardless of what you may hear from some, the non-union carriers will (actually) hire few of you if the company goes under. They just don't want the stigma/risk. Much of what you've worked for over the years/decades will be gone (seniority, free medical care, not working the dock when older, some retirement benefits, a respectable compensation package, job security, etc.). Trash talkers might seem bold and admirable, but how often are their moves and intentions actually wise (or fully honest)? I'd be concerned with at least some of the recent actions.

There's no question that many of you have given the company much in the form of past concessions, but blocking a real/major modernization effort (and network optimization plan to reach super-regional status) which WILL significantly improve Yellow Corporation's efficiency & ability to compete in the future...is akin to shooting a lot of people in the feet without looking at it from all angles. What really is the lesser evil? Time isn't on anyone's side at this point and your gripes with leadership salary (at the company or IBT!) aren't going to do anything. Don't let decades' long grudges and pride ruin part of the future for you and your family. Trust me, you don't want that unknown...been there, done that. And no, I don't despise unions. But in this case, the excessive posturing and often childish combativeness are causing further negative effects that many of you don't see - one of those being shipper loss (same for UPS). Without quick cooperation and a refusal to factually acknowledge the current (detrimental) LTL environment, everyone loses. My best to all of you reading...

Teamsters, it might be time to question your supposed union Leader's overly bold statements/actions of the past few months. I'm letting you know that he's legit putting at risk 22,000 of your own jobs and another 8,000+ of your fellow non-union brothers'/sisters'. The time to play a game of chicken isn't while the ground freight market is at a bottom with (notably) depressed demand...and Yellow ain't no UPS. Think about your families and the significant loss of benefits that could very well occur just before the Holidays hit. Regardless of what you may hear from some, the non-union carriers will (actually) hire few of you if the company goes under. They just don't want the stigma/risk. Much of what you've worked for over the years/decades will be gone (seniority, free medical care, not working the dock when older, some retirement benefits, a respectable compensation package, job security, etc.). Trash talkers might seem bold and admirable, but how often are their moves and intentions actually wise (or fully honest)? I'd be concerned with at least some of the recent actions.

There's no question that many of you have given the company much in the form of past concessions, but blocking a real/major modernization effort (and network optimization plan to reach super-regional status) which WILL significantly improve Yellow Corporation's efficiency & ability to compete in the future...is akin to shooting a lot of people in the feet without looking at it from all angles. What really is the lesser evil? Time isn't on anyone's side at this point and your gripes with leadership salary (at the company or IBT!) aren't going to do anything. Don't let decades' long grudges and pride ruin part of the future for you and your family. Trust me, you don't want that unknown...been there, done that. And no, I don't despise unions. But in this case, the excessive posturing and often childish combativeness are causing further negative effects that many of you don't see - one of those being shipper loss (same for UPS). Without quick cooperation and a refusal to factually acknowledge the current (detrimental) LTL environment, everyone loses. My best to all of you reading...
Well thought out and well written. Yours a voice of reason during a time of tumult. Best wishes to you and all Yellow personnel.

The union can not have Yellow making them look weak while in negotiation with UPS, Tforce and other contracts.
Yellow picked the wrong time to pull this crap again.
A COO would have been possible with zip changes using the existing language of utility drivers, management knew that but choose to gain more give backs by eliminating overtime on those runs and then inserting language "Any union member can do any job at anytime" into the LOA among other things while stating we need this done now sign here. Perhaps if they stop over discounting rates tell the sales force to fill the trailers with profitable freight instead of "Fill the trailers at whatever cost"
they could actually make enough money to pay off the loans and afford to drivers.

The Teamsters are doing exactly what we pay them for. You can't pick sides when your representing other carriers. O'Brien is doing an awesome job and has gotten us (ABF) the best contract I have seen in my 26 years as a Teamster. I couldn't be prouder of the job he is doing with all the contracts. You guys keep throwing this 22,000 members number out there. If they have there COO would be more like 14000 members just dragging down the wages of everyone. Sorry played that game the last 15 years, not interested in that. Let the banks take a hit if they want there money.

I would take the unknown their manager. Every trucking pays better than Yellow. THANK YOU Mr O'Brien

Its not the stigma or risk, but there has to be an opening available to hire. They just are not going to hire more than they need to move freight. They dont want to hire just to have drivers sitting around.

The IBT either looks out for its dues paying members or it does not. If the IBT bases its decision on what is best for the IBT than it is nothing more than a business. Yellow freight is a poorly run company, but shouldn't it be the dues paying members who vote on whether to allow the one yellow to go forward? They are the ones who have made all the sacrifices since 2008.
If they say yes to one yellow, than the IBT should allow it to go forward, if no than yellow closes.

There is nothing stopping the company from completing the merge and becoming One Yellow right this second. Under the existing contract they have everything they asked for to do so.

Its management holding it up not the Union.

The IBT either looks out for its dues paying members or it does not. If the IBT bases its decision on what is best for the IBT than it is nothing more than a business. Yellow freight is a poorly run company, but shouldn't it be the dues paying members who vote on whether to allow the one yellow to go forward? They are the ones who have made all the sacrifices since 2008.
If they say yes to one yellow, than the IBT should allow it to go forward, if no than yellow closes.
Read the contract they can go forward right now.

The union can not have Yellow making them look weak while in negotiation with UPS, Tforce and other contracts.
Yellow picked the wrong time to pull this crap again.
A COO would have been possible with zip changes using the existing language of utility drivers, management knew that but choose to gain more give backs by eliminating overtime on those runs and then inserting language "Any union member can do any job at anytime" into the LOA among other things while stating we need this done now sign here. Perhaps if they stop over discounting rates tell the sales force to fill the trailers with profitable freight instead of "Fill the trailers at whatever cost"
they could actually make enough money to pay off the loans and afford to drivers.
I don't disagree with everything you've said, but the bottom line is Yellow needs a major modernization effort. The OneYellow plan is detailed and at least gets them much of the way towards that goal. This involves consolidation, likely a few hundred jobs gone and operations not to run in the "same old way". You can blame management, you can blame the IBT. Not everyone will win and get what they had hoped for, but if five years from now 90% of the original employees still work for Yellow and the company if firing on all cylinders & profitable...then it's a huge win. After all the concessions/loans/patience from so many players, to let the company go down now would be a huge shame. Yellow can work through the debt situation in time, they can't work through non-competitiveness and high/unnecessary operational costs and overhead. Some guys will have do get out of their comfort zone once in a while to get there, it is what it is. Their alternative isn't great. Let's stop the bickering and get it done so everyone can move on with their lives.

The Teamsters are doing exactly what we pay them for. You can't pick sides when your representing other carriers. O'Brien is doing an awesome job and has gotten us (ABF) the best contract I have seen in my 26 years as a Teamster. I couldn't be prouder of the job he is doing with all the contracts. You guys keep throwing this 22,000 members number out there. If they have there COO would be more like 14000 members just dragging down the wages of everyone. Sorry played that game the last 15 years, not interested in that. Let the banks take a hit if they want there money.
Happy for you guys over at ABF, but Yellow is "not" ArcBest. The company might not be offering much, but they also appear to be asking very little at this time. 22,000 is the number, a few might quit and maybe 500-1000 jobs would be lost to the operational changes company-wide...but 14000 is way off. 18K minimum, which still makes them huge as far union membership goes. It's not about the banks, they're just a piece of the pie. It's about the pie and everyone doing their part to keep the company going while Significantly Improving them for the future.

There is nothing stopping the company from completing the merge and becoming One Yellow right this second. Under the existing contract they have everything they asked for to do so.

Its management holding it up not the Union.
There's some truth to this, but without the full buy-in from Yellow's IBT members it likely won't perform well. You gotta have everyone on the same page and team, morale would also not be great.

I don't disagree with everything you've said, but the bottom line is Yellow needs a major modernization effort. The OneYellow plan is detailed and at least gets them much of the way towards that goal. This involves consolidation, likely a few hundred jobs gone and operations not to run in the "same old way". You can blame management, you can blame the IBT. Not everyone will win and get what they had hoped for, but if five years from now 90% of the original employees still work for Yellow and the company if firing on all cylinders & profitable...then it's a huge win. After all the concessions/loans/patience from so many players, to let the company go down now would be a huge shame. Yellow can work through the debt situation in time, they can't work through non-competitiveness and high/unnecessary operational costs and overhead. Some guys will have do get out of their comfort zone once in a while to get there, it is what it is. Their alternative isn't great. Let's stop the bickering and get it done so everyone can move on with their lives.
A few Hundred ?
Close and sell 28 terminals.
If you merge 4 operations that over lap into one I see a hell of a lot more jobs gone.
How many jobs were lost with the YFS and RDWY merger ?
I figure 2500-3500 jobs lost if this goes through.
Its not working well in the West . The company claims different.
One Yellow is a good catch phrase... This may be the only right thing about the whole mess.
How many more when they FINE TUNE it again ?
Already wanting this out West.

A few Hundred ?
Close and sell 28 terminals.
If you merge 4 operations that over lap into one I see a hell of a lot more jobs gone.
How many jobs were lost with the YFS and RDWY merger ?
I figure 2500-3500 jobs lost if this goes through.
Its not working well in the West . The company claims different.
One Yellow is a good catch phrase... This may be the only right thing about the whole mess.
How many more when they FINE TUNE it again ?
Already wanting this out West.
The numbers will factually be wayyy less than that. A merger from 20 years ago is hardly applicable and had different mitigating details. I will say this, whatever is "needed" for Yellow to prosper is what should happen. That, or the company is gone by Thanksgiving.

There's some truth to this, but without the full buy-in from Yellow's IBT members it likely won't perform well. You gotta have everyone on the same page and team, morale would also not be great.
I think morale left awhile ago, I think was when Yellow decided Holland and New Penn were the red headed step children. Believe it or not I think Yellow prefers it this way.

I think morale left awhile ago, I think was when Yellow decided Holland and New Penn were the red headed step children. Believe it or not I think Yellow prefers it this way.
Maybe, but there's no saying that morale can't improve with the right positive and operationally sound changes. Everyone hates change, but will benefit in the future with the right moves and then appreciate it. It's tough to see through the clouds at times. It's all Yellow now and everyone should take pride in returning the company (regardless of which regional they originally worked at) to greatness in future years.

Maybe, but there's no saying that morale can't improve with the right positive and operationally sound changes. Everyone hates change, but will benefit in the future with the right moves and then appreciate it. It's tough to see through the clouds at times. It's all Yellow now and everyone should take pride in returning the company (regardless of which regional they originally worked at) to greatness in future years.
Tell that to management.