Yellow | The unnecessary & ongoing battle between the Teamsters' union and Yellow Corp.

There's some truth to this, but without the full buy-in from Yellow's IBT members it likely won't perform well. You gotta have everyone on the same page and team, morale would also not be great.
It’s not some truth it’s all truth. They can become one yellow right now. Then restructure their debt and negotiate the next contract with their desired job classifications. But they know the greatest weapon they have is using that debt to scare people to vote a certain way. Once the debt is restructured they don’t have it to use to scare people. That’s why the urgency.

It’s not some truth it’s all truth. They can become one yellow right now. Then restructure their debt and negotiate the next contract with their desired job classifications. But they know the greatest weapon they have is using that debt to scare people to vote a certain way. Once the debt is restructured they don’t have it to use to scare people. That’s why the urgency.
It's not a hoax man, they're running out of $$ and need to modernize immediately. The IBT is blocking those efforts and is mostly to blame at this stage. Stop with the cyniscm, that or move on and find work elsewhere (if you actually work at Yellow).

The only thing being blocked is job classifications. They can do everything else right now. They should have had this done long ago. Over 4 years their doing thi

The only thing being blocked is job classifications. They can do everything else right now. They should have had this done long ago. Over 4 years their doing this.
You're leaving out many facts/details and mitigating circumstances. For example, the company did a great job culling much low and unprofitable freight during 2022.

It's not a hoax man, they're running out of $$ and need to modernize immediately. The IBT is blocking those efforts and is mostly to blame at this stage. Stop with the cyniscm, that or move on and find work elsewhere (if you actually work at Yellow).
He works. And has good points and is reasonable.
His frustrations are not " close the gates" mentality.
But New Penn ...get it done...get it done right contractually....and quit playing games on so we can get back to work. Get it done right now.
Not done wrong again

He works. And has good points and is reasonable.
His frustrations are not " close the gates" mentality.
But New Penn ...get it done...get it done right contractually....and quit playing games on so we can get back to work. Get it done right now.
Not done wrong again
Yellow has already claimed they cannot get the debt restructured until they get the necessary concessions from the union. The contract doesn't expire until early next year, but all the signals I get from Yellow tells me it needs to be changed midstream or there won't be a Yellow come early next year.

It's really pretty simple, Yellow could present the union with a contract proposal that includes changes they feel they need but I have not herd of any offer since they asked to open contract negotiations. Has anyone? The changes they want now violate the present agreement.

Yellow has already claimed they cannot get the debt restructured until they get the necessary concessions from the union. The contract doesn't expire until early next year, but all the signals I get from Yellow tells me it needs to be changed midstream or there won't be a Yellow come early next year.
They never said they needed concessions in order to restructure the debt

Reactions: TC1
Early next year.
Another says October
Others say September
Another says August
It's been said Mid July..which is 5 days away.

Life at a Teamster psyche ward.

Teamsters, it might be time to question your supposed union Leader's overly bold statements/actions of the past few months. I'm letting you know that he's legit putting at risk 22,000 of your own jobs and another 8,000+ of your fellow non-union brothers'/sisters'. The time to play a game of chicken isn't while the ground freight market is at a bottom with (notably) depressed demand...and Yellow ain't no UPS. Think about your families and the significant loss of benefits that could very well occur just before the Holidays hit. Regardless of what you may hear from some, the non-union carriers will (actually) hire few of you if the company goes under. They just don't want the stigma/risk. Much of what you've worked for over the years/decades will be gone (seniority, free medical care, not working the dock when older, some retirement benefits, a respectable compensation package, job security, etc.). Trash talkers might seem bold and admirable, but how often are their moves and intentions actually wise (or fully honest)? I'd be concerned with at least some of the recent actions.

There's no question that many of you have given the company much in the form of past concessions, but blocking a real/major modernization effort (and network optimization plan to reach super-regional status) which WILL significantly improve Yellow Corporation's efficiency & ability to compete in the future...is akin to shooting a lot of people in the feet without looking at it from all angles. What really is the lesser evil? Time isn't on anyone's side at this point and your gripes with leadership salary (at the company or IBT!) aren't going to do anything. Don't let decades' long grudges and pride ruin part of the future for you and your family. Trust me, you don't want that unknown...been there, done that. And no, I don't despise unions. But in this case, the excessive posturing and often childish combativeness are causing further negative effects that many of you don't see - one of those being shipper loss (same for UPS). Without quick cooperation and a refusal to factually acknowledge the current (detrimental) LTL environment, everyone loses. My best to all of you reading...
You really need to get off that Hawaiian Island and get back to the mainland to see for yourself what's going on.

Merge the companies together and forget the rest they tried utility before and no one wants to work and die.
I don't know how they'd make it work.
Our system didn't involve passing other terminals to take it and break it all. We put it right onto the destination terminal trailer from the city.
Picking up both national and northeastern freight....maybe put Yellow's freight onto a trailer heading for the closest Yellow terminal and they take it and do what they do from there?
And they bring there new Penn freight to the nearest new Penn terminal and we do what we do from there?
I have no clue.
Doubles and stacking big trailers slows that process of course.
And there's have to be solid cut times.
Northeastern freight should almost all be next day. And it ain't that way with no set cut times.
Then it screws up the whole week...city leaves late misses pickups and deliveries...etc.

Last edited:
My understanding is that while Yellow can merge the terminals right now (nothing in the contract to prevent it), there are two main issues that the IBT may have:
1. Job Classification - I think this is set out in the contract and the message to the IBT is that drivers don't want to load at lower rates of pay and,
2. There's some belief that if work moves from one terminal to another, the current employees have a right to go with the work and Yellow seems to be hiring (upping staff) at the open terminal and that the new employees are cheaper so they won't let the current employee follow the work

These are just my summaries from what I've seen on the board. Yellow did this out west with the IBT OK, but members are unhappy. So the IBT said no more. Yellow then says we need to open the contract to negotiate and IBT says we already have a contract through April, 2024. If the IBT agrees to Yellow's Job Classification issue it has a negative impact on the UPS negotiation by setting a precedent.

Lastly, I think the IBT believes that if Yellow goes under the Yellow membership (mostly) will be able to get work. IBT doesn't care if the work is union or not because if it is - it's an immediate win. If it's not, then they have a member they can leverage to unionize the currently non-union carrier. Win-Win for IBT.

I don’t know much, but if Yellow is truly on a path to run out of cash by the end of the month (as they say), then imho no operational change implemented now at this late date will be enough to save them.
Well, when one doesn't know much, isn't it better not to project? Just asking, nothing more. :smile new:

It's really pretty simple, Yellow could present the union with a contract proposal that includes changes they feel they need but I have not herd of any offer since they asked to open contract negotiations. Has anyone? The changes they want now violate the present agreement.
Yes the Letter of Agreement(LOA) they sent to the teamsters last month.

Teamsters, it might be time to question your supposed union Leader's overly bold statements/actions of the past few months. I'm letting you know that he's legit putting at risk 22,000 of your own jobs and another 8,000+ of your fellow non-union brothers'/sisters'. The time to play a game of chicken isn't while the ground freight market is at a bottom with (notably) depressed demand...and Yellow ain't no UPS. Think about your families and the significant loss of benefits that could very well occur just before the Holidays hit. Regardless of what you may hear from some, the non-union carriers will (actually) hire few of you if the company goes under. They just don't want the stigma/risk. Much of what you've worked for over the years/decades will be gone (seniority, free medical care, not working the dock when older, some retirement benefits, a respectable compensation package, job security, etc.). Trash talkers might seem bold and admirable, but how often are their moves and intentions actually wise (or fully honest)? I'd be concerned with at least some of the recent actions.

There's no question that many of you have given the company much in the form of past concessions, but blocking a real/major modernization effort (and network optimization plan to reach super-regional status) which WILL significantly improve Yellow Corporation's efficiency & ability to compete in the future...is akin to shooting a lot of people in the feet without looking at it from all angles. What really is the lesser evil? Time isn't on anyone's side at this point and your gripes with leadership salary (at the company or IBT!) aren't going to do anything. Don't let decades' long grudges and pride ruin part of the future for you and your family. Trust me, you don't want that unknown...been there, done that. And no, I don't despise unions. But in this case, the excessive posturing and often childish combativeness are causing further negative effects that many of you don't see - one of those being shipper loss (same for UPS). Without quick cooperation and a refusal to factually acknowledge the current (detrimental) LTL environment, everyone loses. My best to all of you reading...
Spoken like a true company man