Yellow | The unnecessary & ongoing battle between the Teamsters' union and Yellow Corp.

So....the guys who get and need to keep the benefits do what?
Get less than before?
Because less is going into funds.
Tell the wives to go home so we get a real family pay and benefits package. Instead of single people pay packages. This ain't high school.
And maybe people start having families and staying together.

The fifties made sense for people.
This makes sense for deficit spenders and usurers.
And people who bullshit for a living.
It’s a fully loaded rate. Let’s say it’s 38-26 an hour. 38 if you deny benefits and 26 if fully loaded. Many options in between. If you want full benefits that’s great. Take them and appreciate they are part of the rate. Don’t complain about being underpaid when the avg market rate fully loaded for an employee is less than what you have today. Doesn’t mean you don’t get raises but it’s a creative option. Stop thinking benefits are free. I know ABF has everything but they can’t hire 22k employees. I’m just trying to show creativity versus thinking Jimmy Hoffa is still negotiating on a dirt road somewhere.

Tell yellow to see if it makes sense to consolidate zip codes. And each terminals picks up national and regional freight. Outbound sends national loads to closest Yellow terminal. Yellow sends regional outbound to closest reginal terminal and do whatever we did before with the freight. Maybe better than velocity or destination road/dock terminals.
Add up costs.

We'll be saving by not going to same customers.
Our terminals can be pretty darned close to each other in the Northeast.. I don't know about the rest of the country.
We break our freight for our regional terminals at each terminal. Just seems so time consuming to send it to so many different terminals to break.
No time for it. And more damaged which cost time and money.
Then again maybe it'd get from national terminal to regional late also. Who knows?
Whose bright idea combining national and regional ...not a great idea.
Maybe just interline new Penn to Holland to Reddaway. And leave Yellow handle all national.
No velocity or Destination r/dock needed
That was tried and Ernie and Murphy fought it. Holland and NP offered short week long week for linehaul rotation to keep it fair. I think the computer synergy was implemented when they got that money so it could work. Again, good luck to you

I
Talking to a dispatcher we still are hauling a lot of cheap freight and hauling stuff cheaper than the fuel required to drive it across the country let alone including what you paid the driver's at yellow. Not sure if you mean Holland / new Penn or yellow. Apparently same customer been using yellow for years with a load every week going across the country and still we pick it up at a loss.
Doesn't make sense to me but I feel if management did a great freight Culling and looked into this stuff instead of sending their minions to brainwash everyone we probably could turn things around.
laugh when I hear a dispatcher talk about pricing or costing. That’s like a dock supervisor telling a road driver he knows what it’s like to pull doubles in the snow. Just clueless.

I don't disagree with everything you've said, but the bottom line is Yellow needs a major modernization effort. The OneYellow plan is detailed and at least gets them much of the way towards that goal. This involves consolidation, likely a few hundred jobs gone and operations not to run in the "same old way". You can blame management, you can blame the IBT. Not everyone will win and get what they had hoped for, but if five years from now 90% of the original employees still work for Yellow and the company if firing on all cylinders & profitable...then it's a huge win. After all the concessions/loans/patience from so many players, to let the company go down now would be a huge shame. Yellow can work through the debt situation in time, they can't work through non-competitiveness and high/unnecessary operational costs and overhead. Some guys will have do get out of their comfort zone once in a while to get there, it is what it is. Their alternative isn't great. Let's stop the bickering and get it done so everyone can move on with their lives.
"Everyone will have to get out of their comfort zone once in a while" yes I do believe that if WE want to become the best again. It isn't just going to fall on our palms. We have to earn it 💪.

It’s a fully loaded rate. Let’s say it’s 38-26 an hour. 38 if you deny benefits and 26 if fully loaded. Many options in between. If you want full benefits that’s great. Take them and appreciate they are part of the rate. Don’t complain about being underpaid when the avg market rate fully loaded for an employee is less than what you have today. Doesn’t mean you don’t get raises but it’s a creative option. Stop thinking benefits are free. I know ABF has everything but they can’t hire 22k employees. I’m just trying to show creativity versus thinking Jimmy Hoffa is still negotiating on a dirt road somewhere.
I know my benefits are $40/hr and don't really complain about my pay. The raises we've been getting the last year or 2 have been fine to me. But my kids are raised and out right before that. I don't know how the rate is for people other areas which are expensive nor do I know how they are for guys whose wives are home with 2-4 kids.
What I was stating about insurance is that if we have a discount or great insurance with all kinds of things covered with great copays and no deductibles in which all 22,000 are putting in $12/hr,.
If we reduce the number of contributors from 22,000 to 4/5 of them or 3/5 or 1/3 or 1/2 of them....if we were one who wanted the full $12/ hour in......would we lose great copays or lose some things which were covered....due to a smaller group contributing?

That was tried and Ernie and Murphy fought it. Holland and NP offered short week long week for linehaul rotation to keep it fair. I think the computer synergy was implemented when they got that money so it could work. Again, good luck to you
I don't know what they call line haul. I don't know what lanes are. Our area is small. We call it Road.
I don't know why anything would've had to change. I would've thought that it would just be normal runs to Camp Hill or Buffalo and they could swap New Penn and Holland there.
I don't know what short weeks or long weeks are not what they'd be needed for.
We're they gonna try running Regional loads from Yellow to the nearest New Penn terminal. And national from New Penn to nearest Yellow terminal. With areas consolidated? Or wouldn't that work?
It would avoid road working dock and UE wouldn't be needed.

I know my benefits are $40/hr and don't really complain about my pay. The raises we've been getting the last year or 2 have been fine to me. But my kids are raised and out right before that. I don't know how the rate is for people other areas which are expensive nor do I know how they are for guys whose wives are home with 2-4 kids.
What I was stating about insurance is that if we have a discount or great insurance with all kinds of things covered with great copays and no deductibles in which all 22,000 are putting in $12/hr,.
If we reduce the number of contributors from 22,000 to 4/5 of them or 3/5 or 1/3 or 1/2 of them....if we were one who wanted the full $12/ hour in......would we lose great copays or lose some things which were covered....due to a smaller group contributing?
We will lose because the rates are based on a full range of employees if the younger healthier/single are allowed to opt out the costs rise for those left behind.
The companies started the total compensation rants back in the late 80's to tie the costs all together that's why the agreements now state we get a $x.xx dollar raise and $x.xx of it goes to H&W and rest into the paycheck.

Please tell me you are joking. The union doesn’t provide insurance. The company pays the insurance.
Oh, and we the workers pay a portion, if you go back and look through the MOU’s and see how the raises were distributed, a large percentage were allocated to the insurance.

I don't know what they call line haul. I don't know what lanes are. Our area is small. We call it Road.
I don't know why anything would've had to change. I would've thought that it would just be normal runs to Camp Hill or Buffalo and they could swap New Penn and Holland there.
I don't know what short weeks or long weeks are not what they'd be needed for.
We're they gonna try running Regional loads from Yellow to the nearest New Penn terminal. And national from New Penn to nearest Yellow terminal. With areas consolidated? Or wouldn't that work?
It would avoid road working dock and UE wouldn't be needed.
That won't work. Too complicated for me.
Consolidated areas with both companies running next day in city.....would take more drivers. Didn't figure on inbounds for both types of terminals...so....won't work...I'm not an engineer.
Maybe not enough hours in day

Yellow,ABF, T-Force( not 100% sure) and UPS all have the same insurance.
UPS can put $50,000 of revenue in a pup. Ltl avg is about 7-10% of that. Ups isn’t smarter, it’s a better business than ltl. T force is not making money. Ups freight didn’t make money in ltl which is why they left. ABF keeps it small because they want good local business versus big box retail at high discounts. Yellow is too big for that model. Not enough local business to drive it.

ABF and Tforce are small players in ltl compared to the top dogs. You are discounting against FedEx and XPO. Comparisons should be against their model. Lot of back hail by contractors to balance lanes and drivers are universal. Just saying both sides need to be creative if they care about the people.

That won't work. Too complicated for me.
Consolidated areas with both companies running next day in city.....would take more drivers. Didn't figure on inbounds for both types of terminals...so....won't work...I'm not an engineer.
Maybe not enough hours in day
Agreed. If you want to load from one regional to another, load direct and go as far as possible. What everybody is saying is Yellow needs to get smarter. Just step up and work together. If this was 30 years ago you just find another union carrier. There is a reason only 2 ltl carriers of substance are left.

UPS can put $50,000 of revenue in a pup. Ltl avg is about 7-10% of that. Ups isn’t smarter, it’s a better business than ltl. T force is not making money. Ups freight didn’t make money in ltl which is why they left. ABF keeps it small because they want good local business versus big box retail at high discounts. Yellow is too big for that model. Not enough local business to drive it.

ABF and Tforce are small players in ltl compared to the top dogs. You are discounting against FedEx and XPO. Comparisons should be against their model. Lot of back hail by contractors to balance lanes and drivers are universal. Just saying both sides need to be creative if they care about the people.
?

What the sense in changing New Penn's system.
It was loading a trailer basically for each terminal.
And now, instead, it's been going to velocity terminals in Camp Hill, Scranton, and Maybrook, and then sent to each terminal?
That's been going on for a couple years now. It's still all New Penn's regional freight.
What sense is that making and is it making or losing money?

How much did they wast moving the corporate offices to Nashville, and why.
I think they did a couple things at the same time, but not sure it costs anything since they incorporated in Ohio anyway. They basically got out of the HQ building, I'm betting in a move to sell it. So then it became an issue of where to base the corporate office and I'm betting Nashville is not only more centrally located to the C-group, but they may have saved some money on rent, also it's cheap to fly in-out of? It seems they kept a lot of people in Kansas. Truth is, most corporate jobs are remote at this point, so getting out of a building and taking advantage of cheaper commercial space could be a money saver.