Triplex or Seabreeze?

I know this is off topic. But was watching a deal on TV today that showed a Roadway 45 trailer on a train going thru Ohio. Circa 1977. I spent a great part of my youth, 71 thru 78 in the SK rail yards in Jersey. Never saw a freight trailer on a train. Ups and USPS yes but no freight. Were the LTLs doing it that far back? This might be in your Wheelhouse Triplex.

I know this is off topic. But was watching a deal on TV today that showed a Roadway 45 trailer on a train going thru Ohio. Circa 1977. I spent a great part of my youth, 71 thru 78 in the SK rail yards in Jersey. Never saw a freight trailer on a train. Ups and USPS yes but no freight. Were the LTLs doing it that far back? This might be in your Wheelhouse Triplex.
i bet that Roadway trailer is still on the road today

As I remember, JB Hunt, though an TL carrier, was the first to sign a big contract with UP, Burlington etc. to put trailers on rail.

I went to Croxton and SK too many times to count for UPS in the early 1970's FC but I honestly can't remember if there were any Roadway (or other freight carriers) trailers there. I do know for sure that Maislin put trailers on the rail in the late 1970's early 1980's after buying Gateway. This was usually empties coming north from Florida as I recall.

I often tried to pick up empty reefers at Croxton for westbound UPS loading at Secaucus. The loaders liked being able to turn the reefer units on to cool off in summertime while they were loading them.

img045.md.jpeg

I went to Croxton and SK too many times to count for UPS in the early 1970's FC but I honestly can't remember if there were any Roadway (or other freight carriers) trailers there. I do know for sure that Maislin put trailers on the rail in the late 1970's early 1980's after buying Gateway. This was usually empties coming north from Florida as I recall.

Roadway used rails too. Not much, think it was mostly TL stuff that wasn't time critical. We used to go into the rail yard on the way into the Kearny NJ terminal once in awhile. They used the rail yard in Harrisburg too. And like you said, moving empties to balance the trailer pool.

Could have been me in one of my previous lives...

img053.md.jpeg
Those Louisvilles were pretty good tractors. Quiet and tight for their time. When I drove for an A&P contract carrier they got some of those after having mostly White 9000's and U Model Macks, the dispatcher called them baby carriages because all the senior guys would cry if they didn't have one. Being a junior guy I got the U Model.

Those Louisvilles were pretty good tractors. Quiet and tight for their time. When I drove for an A&P contract carrier they got some of those after having mostly White 9000's and U Model Macks, the dispatcher called them baby carriages because all the senior guys would cry if they didn't have one. Being a junior guy I got the U Model.
I loved those Louisvilles also. Managed to get that rental unit at UPS for a time. It had A/C of course back when the UPS Macks didn't yet have A/C. Loved them also on the road at Maislin. They were my favorite tractors with the modern Volvos a close second.

I loved those Louisvilles also. Managed to get that rental unit at UPS for a time. It had A/C of course back when the UPS Macks didn't yet have A/C. Loved them also on the road at Maislin. They were my favorite tractors with the modern Volvos a close second.
My first time at Croxton I took note of the Carman Seniority list right above the window with the camera. Number one had been with Erie longer than my dad had been alive! And because of Croxton, I memorized my nj license number. Which I can recite to this day!

Those Louisvilles were pretty good tractors. Quiet and tight for their time. When I drove for an A&P contract carrier they got some of those after having mostly White 9000's and U Model Macks, the dispatcher called them baby carriages because all the senior guys would cry if they didn't have one. Being a junior