TForce | Truck Fire

imported_krash

TB Lurker
Credits
As I was headed back to GA from AL down I-20 I heard some chatter on the radio about a truck fire. Tuens out it was a UPSF tractor that burned to the ground, nothing but a skeleton left. Half of his front box was also a skeleton. This happened Tuesday(11-28-06) morning on I-20 west in Alabama at the 214 yard stick. It happened some time before 06:00. Was riding with another UPSFer who didnt know who it was and we talked with another East bound UPSFer who didnt have any info on it. Talked to one Friday night on I-85 who had no info either. Does anyone on here know if the driver was OK? Also, any info on what happened.

As I was headed back to GA from AL down I-20 I heard some chatter on the radio about a truck fire. Tuens out it was a UPSF tractor that burned to the ground, nothing but a skeleton left. Half of his front box was also a skeleton. This happened Tuesday(11-28-06) morning on I-20 west in Alabama at the 214 yard stick. It happened some time before 06:00. Was riding with another UPSFer who didnt know who it was and we talked with another East bound UPSFer who didnt have any info on it. Talked to one Friday night on I-85 who had no info either. Does anyone on here know if the driver was OK? Also, any info on what happened.

I did a google search and came up with this:
Truck fire stalls Alabama 20 traffic

The Accelerated Freight Group trailer caught fire on Alabama 20 westbound near Sonny's Barbecue at about 4 p.m

Jeff the truckingboard owner ,and SEVEN of NINE are usualy right up on all the trucking accidents,that happen anywhere in North America.
If this accident was reported outside of a small local news paper they report on it on the Truck Accident thread.
There isn't much that gets past those two truckingboard detectives.

I heard that when any UPS braned equipment is in an accident the company trys to keep it as hush,hush as they can to protect bad press on their brand.

If you notice the accident with the drums crashing out of that tail pup.
The news reported that it was Overnite,nothing about UPS.

I believe it would be Edwardsville Alabama. It was just inside the Alabama state line right at the rest area. Didnt look to be an accident. Almost as if the thing just caught fire.

Jeff the truckingboard owner ,and SEVEN of NINE are usualy right up on all the trucking accidents,that happen anywhere in North America.
If this accident was reported outside of a small local news paper they report on it on the Truck Accident thread.
There isn't much that gets past those two truckingboard detectives.

I heard that when any UPS braned equipment is in an accident the company trys to keep it as hush,hush as they can to protect bad press on their brand.

If you notice the accident with the drums crashing out of that tail pup.
The news reported that it was Overnite,nothing about UPS.

Apo, Most likely the news reporters were going by the name on the tractor and two trailers. I am sure if the tractor and two trailers were painted the new colors, UPS would have been mention. There is still alot of people that are not aware of the buy out.

the tractor number was 11828 it was pulling a set from GVL to Memphis... I do not feel the drivers name is necessary right now because I do not know if he got fired yet or not. He supposably hit another truck ijn the rear end so hard it shoved the motor into the cab. Yes he did walk away, he is a driver that has less than 18 months before he was going to retire. I think he had a cut over his eye and some black and blue bruises. I have not seen him back at the yard since the accident. He has had several other accidents in the past, but claims he did receive a ticket for this one. Any TM should be able to pull up information on that tractor and it should who was driving it and where it was going so you can verify my info. Again I do not want to release the name of the driver out of respect for him. but the tractor # was 11828 it was a rebranded unit.

Grits,
Your right, the name isnt essential. I'm glad to hear he walked away but sorry to hear he rear ended another. Thanks for the info brother.
Do you know who he hit? Someone on the air waves said UPS

Grits,
Your right, the name isnt essential. I'm glad to hear he walked away but sorry to hear he rear ended another. Thanks for the info brother.
Do you know who he hit? Someone on the air waves said UPS

all I was told was he hit a truck driven by a mexican man and the truck had no lights on it and the mexican guy couldn't speak english to the state trooper. thats all I was told besides what I already posted. I don't think it was another UPS vehicle, that would have been bigger news.

in my earlier post I accidentally said he (the GVL driver) received a ticket. I meant to say I was told he did NOT receive a ticket for the accident due to the other truck not having lights on it... sorry for the typo

Southerngrits thanks for the update. Your absolutely right his name is not necessary. Glad he didn't get seriously hurt. But sorry to here about the accident especially when the other guy had no lights.

Thanks for the other info SG. I hope and pray all works out for the UPSF driver and the other one is punished appropriately. How the heck does one obtain a CDL(?) and not even speak or be required to speak english?? How did he expect to read the street signs???

Thanks for the other info SG. I hope and pray all works out for the UPSF driver and the other one is punished appropriately. How the heck does one obtain a CDL(?) and not even speak or be required to speak english?? How did he expect to read the street signs???

CASH and people in the right places......You can't even back up but some how made it thru a serpentine course, parrallel parking and backing in to a dock simulation..... (I'm scratching my head at this moment)

Well I did what you said.
Tonight after I clocked out I caught my outbound supervisor in one of his rare non-busy moments,and asked him to type in the tractor number,and date on the computer.

What came up was GVL (DELAYD) Muscadine,Al.

This is all there was?

Delayed? Thats a good one?
I guess all of us truckingboard posters know why this trip is delayed.

Know I see why my TM wishes I wouldn't spend so much time on the truckingboards.

We get way more information on this message board than he will ever know himself.

I've run through that part of AL a lot and almost creamed a car one night that was being pushed down the granny lane with no lights on. As far as the mexican truck goes. Do we even know if he had a CDL? That's one of the big problems today with all the people not having licenses driving trucks, four wheelers, etc. You get in an accident with them you have no recourse. 99% of the time they will not have insurance so your insurance has to pay and your rates go up. It amazes me that the government, PATT, and all these other safety groups are so concerned with trucking safety so as to over regulate the industry to the point of strangulation. Where will they be when the Mexican trucks start traveling this country? That is a whole other topic in itself.

How can that tractor be available,if its toast,and its body parts are reconfigured?

You think the company reasigns old numbers to un-numbered new equipment,gater?

If this is something they do.
I wouldn't think they'd retire,than reasign this number so fast?

I think the only way to get the whole story on this wreak is to talk to a driver out of GVL.

Or maybe it will just be something we will never learn the rest of the story,as Paul Harvey always says.

How can that tractor be available,if its toast,and its body parts are reconfigured?

You think the company reasigns old numbers to un-numbered new equipment,gater?

If this is something they do.
I wouldn't think they'd retire,than reasign this number so fast?

I think the only way to get the whole story on this wreak is to talk to a driver out of GVL.

Or maybe it will just be something we will never learn the rest of the story,as Paul Harvey always says.

I am a driver out of Greenville, thats how I knew the tractor #. and the tractor and trailer are no more, I know the drivers name, but like I said it is not necassary to publicise that. I do know they have not replaced the tractor here either..