ABF | Truck speed

We are our own worst enemy! :duh:
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I said when the contract was being negotiated the company would expect more miles out of a driver if the raod speed was increased to 70 MPH. They would not agree to something that would just give more truck stop time. It is more costly to run a truck 70 MPH than 65 MPH. Plus more miles out of a driver means less drivers needed which means less medical benefits, pension, etc being paid. These folks are in business to make a profit. I am also going to guess the insurer upped the premium for the increased speed.

Last edited:
There has long been a fictional character named Fat Sam. He is the free loader who moves in with your wife & enjoys your money after you have killed yourself working your life away. I haven't calculated what the paycheck would be for a 700 mile tour of duty but it is not worth ruining your health.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I'll never understand why a road driver getting paid mileage would want to purposely work more than 8 hours a day when he doesn't get premium pay after the eighth hour. Each to his own I guess. :idunno:
UPS Feeder drivers paid hourly on the other hand get premium (OT) rate after 8 hours so I can understand wanting more miles there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I'll never understand why a road driver getting paid mileage would want to purposely work more than 8 hours a day when he doesn't get premium pay after the eighth hour. Each to his own I guess. :idunno:
UPS Feeder drivers paid hourly on the other hand get premium (OT) rate after 8 hours so I can understand wanting more miles there.

400 miles was enough for me.

THAT'S why the company likes it! 14 hr days at straight time. It brings out the sharecropper in a guy! I'm surprised the company doesn't offer a greedy driver like that a couple of mason jars of molasses as a bonus....