ABF | UE/Linehaul

I disagree. I am expecting a big raise on this contract. Especially after the give-back contract of 2013. They are now healthy and it is time to compensate us accordingly.
I think your figuring way high on the amount FedEx or OD puts in for our 80/20 coverage.
As we've already determined you guys are already compensated quite a bit more than other LTL trucklnes.
I do wish you luck, but I'm sure they're going to remind you guys how well your already getting paid.

I disagree. I am expecting a big raise on this contract. Especially after the give-back contract of 2013. They are now healthy and it is time to compensate us accordingly.
Something else to consider Steward.
You guys are tied at the hip with YRC.
How many of those guys will actually strike if it comes to it?
They actually would fold up.

If they paid the same for coverage we'd all be getting team care with a small co-pay
If they would sign a Union Card and negotiate a contract, maybe they would. Hard to get your point across without being able to negotiate anything. You simply accept what they offer or go to work somewhere else.We on the other hand get to vote on what to accept or not accept.

Something else to consider Steward.
You guys are tied at the hip with YRC.
How many of those guys will actually strike if it comes to it?
They actually would fold up.
In no way are we associated with Yellow. Our contract runs out in July they are April. Master freight is dead….
GO40 and SAC75 are correct. We have no affiliation with any of the YRCW or Yellow companies. We have a separate contract that expires in 2023 and Yellows expires in 2024. Brass, with some of your questions and responses, I have got to ask if you are Management. Because if you were just a freight hand or driver like the rest of us, you would be wanting us to get the big raise as that would most likely force FedEx to bump up their pay to retain their people and keep them from jumping ship to ABF. I can assure you that our H&W is miles ahead of FedEx or OD. And our maximum out-of-pocket per calendar year is $1000 individual or $2000 family provided you stay in network. Last I heard about FedEx out-of-pocket, it was something like $8000 per calendar year. Please correct me if that figure is wrong Brass.

GO40 and SAC75 are correct. We have no affiliation with any of the YRCW or Yellow companies. We have a separate contract that expires in 2023 and Yellows expires in 2024. Brass, with some of your questions and responses, I have got to ask if you are Management. Because if you were just a freight hand or driver like the rest of us, you would be wanting us to get the big raise as that would most likely force FedEx to bump up their pay to retain their people and keep them from jumping ship to ABF. I can assure you that our H&W is miles ahead of FedEx or OD. And our maximum out-of-pocket per calendar year is $1000 individual or $2000 family provided you stay in network. Last I heard about FedEx out-of-pocket, it was something like $8000 per calendar year. Please correct me if that figure is wrong Brass.
No management here.
I do want you guys to do well on your contract....it helps everyone.
I guess the point I'm making is the ones your company will be making.
While your pay is less by around six bucks an hour your excellent H&W and pension is miles ahead of our competition.
Ask yourself this question, would you take that $6 difference and our benifits?
You guys overall package is way ahead before you ever sit down to bargain.

If they would sign a Union Card and negotiate a contract, maybe they would. Hard to get your point across without being able to negotiate anything. You simply accept what they offer or go to work somewhere else.We on the other hand get to vote on what to accept or not accept.
As I've said before, I've worked union ltl for several years be these last 13.
When I first started we still had some actual pull.
Today nowhere near as much.
As I used to tell the guys at yellow...the young guys want only cash, middle age want H&W and old guys want pension...lol

No management here.
I do want you guys to do well on your contract....it helps everyone.
I guess the point I'm making is the ones your company will be making.
While your pay is less by around six bucks an hour your excellent H&W and pension is miles ahead of our competition.
Ask yourself this question, would you take that $6 difference and our benifits?
You guys overall package is way ahead before you ever sit down to bargain.
The health & welfare gap has shrunk significantly over the last 3 contracts, other companies are (or we’re offering more before the economy went south) competitive packages to hire & retain employees. ABF just came out with a different vacation package for non union employees which is fantastic because my TM is always off….

As I've said before, I've worked union ltl for several years be these last 13.
When I first started we still had some actual pull.
Today nowhere near as much.
As I used to tell the guys at yellow...the young guys want only cash, middle age want H&W and old guys want pension...lol
You have to remember a few things, we are only making about $2 an hour more today than we were in 2012....that is 20 cents an hour per year for a raise. They haven't increased what they put in the pension funds either. They have given themselves big raises during this time. They recently increased management vacation. They get quarterly bonuses. They will have profited over a billion dollars during this contract. They can afford a healthy raise for the lowly workers who do the actual work. You recently said something about being profitable. With a big raise for us it raises everyone, even Yellow since they can raise rates and pay off debt, non union guys get more money too. Win win for everyone, except maybe management. That's not my job to worry about them.

Now, with all of this being said above, a new guy (under 30) in most cases does not give a rat’s azz about how much is being paid for his pension or H&W as he/she is still at that “bullet-proof” age. All they want to see is more money on the check and in the bank account.

That would be me and the number on the check is the most important thing. With financial literacy being openly available to everyone, it's not hard to make sure you're set up for retirement without a pension. You also have the doom and gloom of the pension going the way of social security and not being available when I'm eligible for it...a little over 30 years. I also don't want my retirement funds tied to my employer. Then work feels like a prison sentence. I can walk from FedEx at any time and not worry about my 401k. I also plan on retiring in 26 years at 55. All those wheels are in motion. Until ABF presents a better check, they're not going to attract quality people.

You have to remember a few things, we are only making about $2 an hour more today than we were in 2012....that is 20 cents an hour per year for a raise. They haven't increased what they put in the pension funds either. They have given themselves big raises during this time. They recently increased management vacation. They get quarterly bonuses. They will have profited over a billion dollars during this contract. They can afford a healthy raise for the lowly workers who do the actual work. You recently said something about being profitable. With a big raise for us it raises everyone, even Yellow since they can raise rates and pay off debt, non union guys get more money too. Win win for everyone, except maybe management. That's not my job to worry about them.
Think of how far back the nons were in 2012...
I've always wanted everyone to do well.
The only point I'm trying to make is they will definitely have the numbers to back up what they're saying.
They will definitely have a side by side comparison of several non union companies pay and benefits along side yours.
I definitely hope for the best in your contract.