ODFL | Unbelievable hiring practices

For a time back in the late 1970's at Maislin we used to do meets with Buffalo drivers at Turkey Ranch in Trout Run north of Williamsport on old 15. The good old days
How would you have liked to live in those couple of blocks in Williamsport when every trucking company in the lower 48 went past your house countless times a day! Yikes, no pictures on the walls in those homes!

When I was last working for cf they were rebuilding that 15 just above 81 I believe. They were rerouting it out over the Suzie Q River to bypass at least one of the little towns. But while they were doing that the whole thing was a one lane construction zone. Once a week there was a big truck headon because the road was pitched to the inside. You sound like you have some fond memories on that road. But I'll never miss it.
Some.

Its not all fond believe me. Its due to the freight we had in those days, it all had to come up that road and back down it again.

I was tired one night north of the US 322, its 2 am, raining and was pushing that old tractor north after sitting all dagum day in Hunt Valley loading spices since 6 am the previous morning. was awake way too long and load was due in NYS Elmira at dawn for another day unloading off the floor.

Anyway.

I drifted over the yellow line into the oncoming trucks. Took me a minute to understand the problem as the radio lit up and cursed me. I got her back across with nothing to spare. I think other fella lost his mirror on my trailer but he did not stop to see, not with four more on his tail at speed.

I consider that night both of our birthdays and a decision was to leave that particular outfit and go west and south was made. There was no way I wanted to continue living like that on no sleep for a pittance of pay back then. I think it was 40 dollars to load all day and another 150 to drive then another 30 to unload by hand for around roughly 48 hours work straight. (No sleep in that time. its all live load, drive, live unload)

Once that was delivered its another 2 hour race to get salt in pallets at Seneca Lakes. Then another 12 hours back down 15 to Baltimore by third morning to deliver. No sleep. Thats enough for that bs.

The last time wife and I was on that road I told her thats the end of my time there. I would be happy never to see this place again. And it was so.

M
Some.

Its not all fond believe me. Its due to the freight we had in those days, it all had to come up that road and back down it again.

I was tired one night north of the US 322, its 2 am, raining and was pushing that old tractor north after sitting all dagum day in Hunt Valley loading spices since 6 am the previous morning. was awake way too long and load was due in NYS Elmira at dawn for another day unloading off the floor.

Anyway.

I drifted over the yellow line into the oncoming trucks. Took me a minute to understand the problem as the radio lit up and cursed me. I got her back across with nothing to spare. I think other fella lost his mirror on my trailer but he did not stop to see, not with four more on his tail at speed.

I consider that night both of our birthdays and a decision was to leave that particular outfit and go west and south was made. There was no way I wanted to continue living like that on no sleep for a pittance of pay back then. I think it was 40 dollars to load all day and another 150 to drive then another 30 to unload by hand for around roughly 48 hours work straight. (No sleep in that time. its all live load, drive, live unload)

Once that was delivered its another 2 hour race to get salt in pallets at Seneca Lakes. Then another 12 hours back down 15 to Baltimore by third morning to deliver. No sleep. Thats enough for that bs.

The last time wife and I was on that road I told her thats the end of my time there. I would be happy never to see this place again. And it was so.
McCormick spice?

M

McCormick spice?
Yea. Of all things.

Drop trailer off friday, come back sunday. 6000 little teeny tiny little boxes containing one kitchen container of something or other.

You should see the spreadsheets that traveled with that ******* load. All of them had to be checked off with a pencil that was never big enough for that day.

Its really sad when I consider a lifetime of fun and games in trucking turned into a form of entertainment for the consumption of others engaged in the same industry one way or another. =)

Von, you could be right.
I haven't had as much fun since grandma got her boob caught in the wringer washing machine.
And granny is asking the Lord to let you thru the Pearly Gates. That way she can smack you upside your head to communicate how funny it was to her during her 'tit wringing experience'. Hell, I would pay the price of a ticket to attend that event. von.

Truckers show up to Heaven constantly. be a line of them waiting outside the pearly gates of Gold. St Peter would be running ragged what with street food and bad language as all the drivers got impatient waiting so much.

Why are they waiting so long up there?

Easy.

They aint had a Dispatcher pass on yet. There is no one God can assign all those drivers to.

Truckers show up to Heaven constantly. be a line of them waiting outside the pearly gates of Gold. St Peter would be running ragged what with street food and bad language as all the drivers got impatient waiting so much.

Why are they waiting so long up there?

Easy.

They aint had a Dispatcher pass on yet. There is no one God can assign all those drivers to.
You may be partly right, but most are standing around complaining that someone touched their assigned tractor, or it won't run 72 mph.

I applied to Old Dominion and my app says under consideration. How long does it usually stay that way before they decide. Is it a good time to get on with you guys or is it slow right now?

I applied to Old Dominion and my app says under consideration. How long does it usually stay that way before they decide. Is it a good time to get on with you guys or is it slow right now?

OD growing super fast. Dealing with the usual winter weather hiccups. Still hiring with sign on bonuses in Columbus, Ohio. They say they are adding another 100 doors to that place alone.

Hiring process goes through a third party. Hireright. You need to jump through all the hoops to get the job.

gentlemen I know everybody who’s been here for At least 10 or 15 years can see what’s going on with the new hires I had a great friend who was just like oh one week sure to 15 years at the Baltimore terminal because he pull a trailer from the dock that already been closed for 30 minutes and had a hook card at the Harrisburg terminal this man is straight as an arrow he made honest mistake did not realize that they had re-open the door for a miss load and never told nobody what they have done to cover their asses and my man thought the chain was still around the back he was one week short from four weeks vacation they let them loose with no appeal but yet we have a cancer going on here we let peoples roll over trailers in rear in people and they give them their job back after a week there’s a cancer in this company it’s growing day by day I’m so glad that I’m out of here in two years and by the time this company realizes what they’ve done it’ll be too late the cancer will eat them up at some point in time and please I do not want to hear from all the other people who think or who think they know something everybody deserves a second chance but he bounce right back and found a great job but we’re losing good people left and right my friends Also did any of your old timers do we get 10,000 bucks $5000 please somebody show me a paystub when you got a bonus and we get a lousy 1500 bucks for 15 years a safe driving go figure
At OD, the HR dept. runs things. Most of whom have never driven a truck, worked the dock , or even know anyone who has. Terminal managers are yes men who say and do as they are told by HR. I have seen others fired with no warning and no second chance over trivial things. They want a young crew with very little vacation, below top pay, and not a drain on healthcare. It's the same at a lot of places, not just trucking companys

gentlemen I know everybody who’s been here for At least 10 or 15 years can see what’s going on with the new hires I had a great friend who was just like oh one week sure to 15 years at the Baltimore terminal because he pull a trailer from the dock that already been closed for 30 minutes and had a hook card at the Harrisburg terminal this man is straight as an arrow he made honest mistake did not realize that they had re-open the door for a miss load and never told nobody what they have done to cover their asses and my man thought the chain was still around the back he was one week short from four weeks vacation they let them loose with no appeal but yet we have a cancer going on here we let peoples roll over trailers in rear in people and they give them their job back after a week there’s a cancer in this company it’s growing day by day I’m so glad that I’m out of here in two years and by the time this company realizes what they’ve done it’ll be too late the cancer will eat them up at some point in time and please I do not want to hear from all the other people who think or who think they know something everybody deserves a second chance but he bounce right back and found a great job but we’re losing good people left and right my friends Also did any of your old timers do we get 10,000 bucks $5000 please somebody show me a paystub when you got a bonus and we get a lousy 1500 bucks for 15 years a safe driving go figure
I feel your pain
The cancer is everywhere in this industry these companies are all screwed up. tforce what a freaking joke cant find people to hire now they are writing people up and threatening for things like to much on property time, etc Might say tforce on the door still ups for all practical purposes.
Good dock worker got pissed sick of bs and walked out the other night at the one terminal i was passong through..
Like a communist place tms acts like dictators and tirants threatening you
At times you feel like your coming to prison all you hear i hate this place ,this place sucks blah blah blah.You try to seperate yourself from it but wears on you what are you gonna do

Need to Unionize!

At OD, the HR dept. runs things. Most of whom have never driven a truck, worked the dock , or even know anyone who has. Terminal managers are yes men who say and do as they are told by HR. I have seen others fired with no warning and no second chance over trivial things. They want a young crew with very little vacation, below top pay, and not a drain on healthcare. It's the same at a lot of places, not just trucking companys
File a grievance oh I forgot no Union!