XPO | Usa Today Ad

NorthTXcon-way

TB Veteran
Credits
I can't believe nobody has brought this up yet....The Conway Freight ad in the USA TODAY. It's almost a half page... must have cost atleast 50 or 60 grand.

50-60 grand would be cheap, I think it's way higher....but I don't understand the surprise...this topic was our meeting on Monday night...do you guys ever have meetings..?? they told us what to expect, and there it is...not sure it's the medium I would have chosen, but the ad is ok...

50-60 grand would be cheap, I think it's way higher....but I don't understand the surprise...this topic was our meeting on Monday night...do you guys ever have meetings..?? they told us what to expect, and there it is...not sure it's the medium I would have chosen, but the ad is ok...

I've been saying for a long time that outside of traffic managers and the ltl industry, no one knows who we are. I guess it can't hurt. Better brand recognition could go a long way.

our ICP dollars hard at work :dance:

I would rather see this than the race team. More exposure, and better bang for the buck.

Although I think it is bs, all the exposure for going green goes a long way in corporate circles. Corporations spend huge amounts of money on P.R. for this and we get it for free.

Another way they could get some good cheap exposure is to plaster the logo all over the NTSA share the road stuff. Send a driver and set to those events where they let the motoring public sit in the truck and see the "No Zones".

All this stuff is pretty cheesy, but gets the name out there and enhances brand recognition.

Other companies have done things to get brand recognition.

In movies mostly. What was the movie with Tom Hanks? Fed Ex got a big jump with that. UPS had their self on another movie with Mathew McConaughy (sp?) when his girlfriend drove for UPS.

Oh and my favorite one is on Ghosthunters. They work for Rotor Rooter or whatever. Not that I'd call them for anything.

Now all we need to do is our own ghosthunting or something wacky and use ConWay to help out, in the background of course!

alot of customers are on this green wagon...so no harm done here...I was talking to 2 csrs last night in billing, and they said they got calls from customers who liked the ad, and another who hadn't used Con-way looking for a rate quote to give us a try...makes you wonder how many times around the country that may have happened..

I saw about 25 left in ours...someone said they over delivered by about 200...So I took one home...told my wife to get a good look at it since we were paying for it...

:rolleyes1:Monday meetings? Haven't seen one of those is several years. I found a DVD on the counter the other day, it said we were supposed to be shown it a couple of mondays ago, have no idea what that was about, the DVD player has not worked for a while. Maybe we were supposed to take it home, just thought of that. It's still sitting there I think. Saw the stack of USA Today's in the break room, I had no idea what they were for, until I read it on the "boards" here. :Zzzz: Nothing new around my place. Anybody heard about a new RM to replace Corky? Here is something.....my new power unit's speedo is 4mph off, reads faster than I am going, I suspect they did not recalculate for the smaller tires.....anyway, was getting some error codes, had the shop at my fac read the codes last night, turns out I am getting dinged for SPEEDING.......the new units ding you for 69mph, I noticed the "check engine" light coming on at 70, but didn't think anything about it.....

The ad says it's like a "time machine." I don't know about you guys, but my assigned "time machine" takes me back in time....

Like jakebrake said, I'd rather see our ICP $ go to this instead of NASCAR. The people that actually decide who hauls their freight are more likely to read a USA Today than to watch a NASCAR race, especially the Truck Series.

Hey, and just how on earth are we "faster" than the competition????? Everybody passes me, even ABF and Roadway are passing us now.......the only way we are going to be faster than anybody, is if Congress passes the 55 law nationwide again. :funky:

Hey, and just how on earth are we "faster" than the competition????? Everybody passes me, even ABF and Roadway are passing us now.......the only way we are going to be faster than anybody, is if Congress passes the 55 law nationwide again. :funky:

I get what you are saying.. We run I80 in Pa and get passed by the Amish..

However, in the "Far North & East" area of our territory, which I run, our next-day service is so much better than the competition we only loose due to price. We have at least 3 48', 4 53', and 2 28's on a normal day. The next closest is FedEx with 4 48's in that entire area. A good day for us sends another van and a set or two up there.

Conway gives us all the internal BS we can stomach, but no other LTL can match the transit times we have.

Although I did not see it yet, I applaud the company for spending money on an advertising campaign that will reach people not familiar with us. Those that follow the truck series are not shot callers... I'm pretty certain of that..

I think it's about time. They should do it more often. I definetly rather see the company spending ad money on this than that worthless race truck

Absolutely..... if they spent the same money they do on that race team, on ads like this one.......anyway, I don't get to make that call, anyway, I bet more people read USA today on any given day, than have seen a Craftsman truck race, all Craftsman truck races, since they started, combined. How about putting those ads in the local papers in areas that are hurting for outbound freight? At least Ann Arbor is thinking in new directions, that is something at least.......now, if we could just convince them to pass on the whole "race" thing......

Absolutely..... if they spent the same money they do on that race team, on ads like this one.......anyway, I don't get to make that call, anyway, I bet more people read USA today on any given day, than have seen a Craftsman truck race, all Craftsman truck races, since they started, combined. How about putting those ads in the local papers in areas that are hurting for outbound freight? At least Ann Arbor is thinking in new directions, that is something at least.......now, if we could just convince them to pass on the whole "race" thing......

As I said, shot callers read the USA Today and The Wall Street Journal. They do not watch the truck series. Good for XGO.. One great move among many bad ones..

I have been a race fan for 30 years, so I enjoy the fact we have a sponsorship...what it gives us is an outlet to entertain customers all over the country...why do you think UPS, FedEx, ABF, Yellow and R&L do it..??? the very same reason...would I rather we were on a cup car..?? yep, but at 13.5 million for half the races, and 27 million for the whole season, I'll take the trucks at 3 million for the whole year..I won a contest a couple years ago and got to go to the Vegas race with some customers, and they had a great time...many of them said they were race fans but didn't know how much better truck races are to watch..there were 125,000 people at the track that day..!! I am told the company has a marketing budget they use that is set aside from our ICP fund, and if they choose to use it this way or any way that puts our name out there, we should be glad...you could be at SAIA or Central Freight...