ABF | Weight changes on trailers after departure

I heard that the rear of his lead pup was over 20,000-lbs. and that there was a scale up ahead. So…..he used this technique to shift the weight more towards the middle of the lead pup.
And, all that backed up traffic was not because of the ABF truck in the picture. Rumor has it that there was some bastard up ahead driving 46MPH and changing lanes with no mirrors!!!
He should have done the right thing, found a ditch, and kicked off the extra weight.

twin screws got more rubber on the road , never heard that twin screws not being spec tractors for pups ?? Guess I drove 15 miles to many then in a un-specked pup twin screw tractor ?? My Bad ..........................
It’s not the twin screw. It the pups not set for twin screws. Landing gear too far forward. Just my opinion

It’s not the twin screw. It the pups not set for twin screws. Landing gear too far forward. Just my opinion
That depends on the trailers, some companies use shallow pin settings and there isn’t any interference with the tractor. It’s the deep pin settings are the trouble.

That depends on the trailers, some companies use shallow pin settings and there isn’t any interference with the tractor. It’s the deep pin settings are the trouble.
I’m guessing pin settings can affect traction too. There have been a couple of pups I’ve pulled that felt for some reason that my drive axle (I have a twin screw, back axle is the driver) was being pulled off the ground slightly and it really affected traction at low speed. I didn’t notice it as much at highway speed but traction control came on when I was pulling and maneuvering low speed.

I’m guessing pin settings can affect traction too. There have been a couple of pups I’ve pulled that felt for some reason that my drive axle (I have a twin screw, back axle is the driver) was being pulled off the ground slightly and it really affected traction at low speed. I didn’t notice it as much at highway speed but traction control came on when I was pulling and maneuvering low speed.
Does your highway speed exceed 46 mph?
Please note post #28

twin screws got more rubber on the road , never heard that twin screws not being spec tractors for pups ?? Guess I drove 15 miles to many then in a un-specked pup twin screw tractor ?? My Bad ..........................
Those extended frames on those KW’s had to rein the fifth wheel all the back , all the weight on the rear axle and light on the steers, I’ve had them break loose in the rain many times in curves, not fun! The were the best with long boxes which is what they were spec for.

Those extended frames on those KW’s had to rein the fifth wheel all the back , all the weight on the rear axle and light on the steers, I’ve had them break loose in the rain many times in curves, not fun! The were the best with long boxes which is what they were spec for.
For the same weight on the fifth wheel I'll take a single axle any time over a screw on a slippery road. Twin screws don't stick to the road surface better than a single axle because the weight is distributed over more contact area - i.e., eight tires vs. four on a single axle. And it's the weight on each tire that gives better adhesion to the road surface. Many drivers mistakenly believe twin screws are better on slippery roads but the opposite is true. Full screws in lockout are better at getting a tractor moving when parked on ice or snow but running down the road with the same weight the single axle is better.

For the same weight on the fifth wheel I'll take a single axle any time over a screw on a slippery road. Twin screws don't stick to the road surface better than a single axle because the weight is distributed over more contact area - i.e., eight tires vs. four on a single axle. And it's the weight on each tire that gives better adhesion to the road surface. Many drivers mistakenly believe twin screws are better on slippery roads but the opposite is true. Full screws in lockout are better at getting a tractor moving when parked on ice or snow but running down the road with the same weight the single axle is better.
I only used the lockout on our pushers when exceeding 46mph, (it squishes phytons better) :lmao: