FedEx Freight | What do you think will change?

I don't work for WML or Nat which ever you call it now but I believe that all the saying Rome wasn't built in a Day, It won't happen over nite, just wait and see, The freight will come, and a few others seem to be getting old for the WML people. When the buyout occurred it was told that this deal was in the works for at least 18 months. It seems that in those 18 months that the short term operating procedures would be takin care of it seems to me only the money side of the deal was takin care of. The drivers I have talk to are out in the cold. Everything is up in the air and no one is answering the hard questions for them. Freight is another thing or should I say lack of a thing according to my local friends.How long do they expect employees to live in the dark and have no idea what the future presents. At least at WML things were proceding as usual. I know I am not an insider now but I can see what drivers are saying now on this forum and from my friends still there.

Well rookie when they bought AF we didn't get hit with a big jump from the start either, sorry you don't like to hear it but fact is that it does take time, time to integrate things, see where improvements can be made, get rid of the contractor junk equipment, market the service to new and existing companies.
Even with that there is no guarantees, when freight falls off for everyone as it has why would you think that National would be exempt? Just because FX just bought them? When the economy turns, (hopefully soon) then it may still take 2-3 years for them to get most things the way they want them, it did at AF.
Not sure what they are in the dark about, seems they already made it clear that no contractors for city and keeping contractors for line haul.
They have also said they will be the slower lower cost option for customers, which they said customers have been asking for, so this shouldn't cut into Freight as these customers were already using us but using other carriers for a slower lower cost shipments. Unfortunately it takes time..... and patience.

FM

well after reading all the posts on this threads, their is certainly alot of useful information i have read and can think about with the future of our new company...but somethings i can reply on...1: we were told that FXN will actually cover the 3 day and longer freight and FXF will cover the 1-2 day frieght and some areas of 3 day frieght ( depending on where it goes)....2: company cars will only be given to salemen/saleswomen and the terminal managers that have them now will have them took away...and my TM isn't too happy either haha...but these two things are just what we've been told in our meetings. not too sure what other terminals are saying about this...and everyone is right. as rookie said ' rome wasn't built in a day' and neither was FXF. but look at the big picture...FedEx bought AF in 2001 and look where they are sitting now just 5 years later. WOW..what a tremendous difference in a short 5 year period. it will be slow for us at first in FNL. but i have to admit. i can't wait to see us explode as well and i don't think it will take us 5 years because FXF has already set the standard and we'll just right on to the coattails

:smilie_132: I know in DLS we will be getting a DLS - MOB run don't know if it will be a meet and turn or a laydown. Also we just got our new "point system" for our sick days and tardies. 5 pts in 6 months you are gone.

Curb your enthusiasm

but look at the big picture...FedEx bought AF in 2001 and look where they are sitting now just 5 years later. WOW..what a tremendous difference in a short 5 year period. it will be slow for us at first in FNL. but i have to admit. i can't wait to see us explode as well and i don't think it will take us 5 years because FXF has already set the standard and we'll just right on to the coattails

Tooo funny Eagle......I'm on the inside(FXFE) looking back and looking forward. Does the phrase " Iron fist inside the velvet glove" mean anything to you. If not, it will. You're new to the "Big Picture". Expect a lot of friendly smiles, and flowerly phrases, that warm fuzzy feeling you have is sunshine being blown up your ***. When you wake up out of your delusion, if you wake up out of it.....the reality of the BP is a paycheck that doesn't bounce. Your new challange is not to do your job, it's to keep it. FXF is a "standard" alright, the lower you set your expectations, the higher that standard will look. You have my best wishes for a good future.

Tooo funny Eagle......I'm on the inside(FXFE) looking back and looking forward. Does the phrase " Iron fist inside the velvet glove" mean anything to you. If not, it will. You're new to the "Big Picture". Expect a lot of friendly smiles, and flowerly phrases, that warm fuzzy feeling you have is sunshine being blown up your ***. When you wake up out of your delusion, if you wake up out of it.....the reality of the BP is a paycheck that doesn't bounce. Your new challange is not to do your job, it's to keep it. FXF is a "standard" alright, the lower you set your expectations, the higher that standard will look. You have my best wishes for a good future.

The big warm fuzzy feeling that we all got from working at WML for the family will be gone shortly. WE are now part of a HUGE corporation, it will all be about the bottom line which is ok. As long as you can deal with it. I feel bad for some of the people who won't be able to handle the change, we will lose good people in the transition.

Ok, I don't work for Nat but was a WML driver. My question is have anyone seen any new customers from freight or is freight still taking your customers. I talked with some of my friends at the old terminal and they said in our area they have lost alot more than they have gotten. I know freight is slow now.

He see's it...

The big warm fuzzy feeling that we all got from working at WML for the family will be gone shortly. WE are now part of a HUGE corporation, it will all be about the bottom line which is ok. As long as you can deal with it. I feel bad for some of the people who won't be able to handle the change, we will lose good people in the transition.

Those are sad but true statements Joe. It happened to AF it will happen to you all too.

Ok, I don't work for Nat but was a WML driver. My question is have anyone seen any new customers from freight or is freight still taking your customers. I talked with some of my friends at the old terminal and they said in our area they have lost alot more than they have gotten. I know freight is slow now.

They take ( FXFE) but do not give. Told today our rates are going up, our business is declining. We have surrendered coverage area, service options, personal service, interline, and have not picked up one bill from the FXFE side.

They take ( FXFE) but do not give. Told today our rates are going up, our business is declining. We have surrendered coverage area, service options, personal service, interline, and have not picked up one bill from the FXFE side.
Just remember guys... We were once there too. Nobody likes change, but I think that Webster defined the word the best.. CHANGE: verb ch-a-nj = TO TRANSFORM. You guys will overcome the shock and awe, you are part of the best now. Just be patient. Once again.. We were all there at one time, and it did not take long to see that the CHANGE, was good.

Check it out.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/gtrdone/af1.jpg

I read these it will get better, it takes time. I think the guys and girls think that WML was a nobody company and was second rate at best. Well when i was there they were making money buying new trucks and equipment not rebuilt trucks but new trucks and trailers. Building new terminals and expanding. We were not use to being a step child for anyone we were proud to be WML employees. Fed Ex seems to be taking a proud and independant company and breaking it pride and backbone. Tell me how stupid I am but look at was is said on this forum from WML people not Fed people, I think it is clear.

I read these it will get better, it takes time. I think the guys and girls think that WML was a nobody company and was second rate at best. Well when i was there they were making money buying new trucks and equipment not rebuilt trucks but new trucks and trailers. Building new terminals and expanding. We were not use to being a step child for anyone we were proud to be WML employees. Fed Ex seems to be taking a proud and independant company and breaking it pride and backbone. Tell me how stupid I am but look at was is said on this forum from WML people not Fed people, I think it is clear.

I think that if all of you are thinking that you are a nobody company.. its only you feeling sorry for yourself. WML is now FNL. See it as you will.. But if you continue to strive on living in the past.. you will be the past.. Get on the bus, We are all family.. I don't see your trucks as anything but my brothers trucks..

And I think that I speak for all the fellow FXFE guys.. If you guys want to drown in your own sorrow.. then a new generation of employees will pass you all by and be the best soon.

It is what it is.. Quit your whining, Get over the heartache.. If WML was not the best of the best, with the new equipment and terminals.. Do you think that FX would have even considered taking them on as a team.

Your owner, CEO and President got on the Bus.. Were you guys divided from him when he was at WML.. All I hear is how good of a guy Mr. Watkins is.. If he is such a good guy, do you think he would have steered you wrong???? He made the decision to become part of the best.. he knew and knows what is to offer in this transition.

There is my VENT.. I am done with this Topic.. For those of you that know me.. Tell me what you think in three years.. For the others.. There is always Conway, Saia, Averitt and SEFL.. go try those guys out! It ain't no prison here! :chairshot:

Rx. for peace of mind

(a)as you all now the company is silent in tellin us the employee's untill they seem to want too,(b)NOW VIEW THIS WITH AN OPEN MIND AND (c) LOOK AT THE OVERALL BIG PICTURE FOR THE FUTURE.

In refrence to part (a) of the quote, in purplespeak that would mean "mushroom"..... in refrence to part (b) of the quote...never be so openminded that your brain falls out.....in refrence to part (c) of the quote the "Big Picture" is Big Ideas (divorced from reality), Big Rules (micromanagement of your behavior) Big Profits ( for Fred and VP's) and Big Delusion (the "Purple Promise"). Contemplate locking your brain in you car's glovebox when you park in the terminal lot. Click on " basic function" mode and learn to survive the experience day by day. Find your self worth in your God, and in your family, the "Big Picture" will supply you with a number and nothing else. Don't take it personal, it isn't, just remember " they don't know no better".... they honestly don't, they're just convinced they do. The dictionary supplies the perfect explanation for the "Big Picture" Google it under cognitive dissonance.

Note: the a,b,c divisions of the quote were inserted by me.

$12aDay

the cold hard truth

Company changes:
The good news:
Getting a raise is always good news! We will be moved up to the median industry pay rate for job classification. We will also be cut in on the freight pension plan. Anything over an8hr shift for terminal/city will be overtime, the daily work schedule will be 5x8 hr days (weekends off!!)... this will be announced at the begining of the year. Finally- those who are willing to work and accomidate change will find tons of opportunity within the fedex network, but not at National LTL!!!!!!
The Bad News:
say goodbye to sleeper teams- easy enough to run slip seat and meet and turns with single drivers and still make the cutoff on 4 and 5 day lanes (that is business days, weekends not included... (makes me wonder if linehaul might be heading toward 5x8 hr. days))

Terminals will close/combine: Smaller markets that are doublely served by FXN/Freight will combine operation and close down one of the terminals to reduce redundant overhead.

Management changeover: You don't spend 780 million dollars and not put "your people" in to run it. With the teamsters on the doorstep (see fedexaminer for details) leaving all the Watkins' loyalists in one place is a dangerous proposition... so shuffle them up!!

Tightening of the purse strings: 4 and 5 day is the cheapest way to move freight (typically non time sensative commodity freight). Therefore FXN will operate on smaller profit margins, requiring significant cost reductions....so what does that mean???? Ask a P truck driver.. he can enlighten you.

Creation of "super breakbulks": running 4 and 5 day lanes are usually coast to coast runs. Breakbulks will be expanded/ relocated (if expansion is not possible) on east and west coasts to accomadate the change in freight volume/ patterns.

Disinformation: Prior to the "release" of the contractors we all heard about how we were in a slow down because of "a general economic downturn".... funny Old Dominion is up 22% vs last year, and the other LTL companies are showing modest 4-8% increases over last year... FXN is down 28% vs. last year listed below are the numbers for freight for the 2nd quarter 06.. guess they didn't get hit by the "downturn"?

For the second quarter, the FedEx Freight segment reported:

• Revenue of $1.23 billion, up 31% from last year’s $932 million
• Operating income of $138 million, up 2% from $135 million a year ago
• Operating margin of 11.3%, down from 14.5% the previous year

The truth,
Fedex freight runs regional 2&3 day and do not run 4&5 day lanes (cart it out), so they have no freight to GIVE us in exchange for what they are TAKING. That being said.. we are looking at a year of hard times trying to grow NEW business from scratch (most likely longer). The Fedex name will make it a little easier to pickup business, but it will be a long uphill climb. With all this being said Fedex is the same as every company on the planet their existence is based on maximization of profits. Sure Watkins talked a good game employee this and that, but John Watkins didn't build that 60 foot cruiser boat with his own two hands, it was purchased off the sweat of all of you... at least Fedex will shoot straight with you!
:tongue0015: