FedEx Freight | What do you think will change?

Company changes:
The good news:
Getting a raise is always good news! We will be moved up to the median industry pay rate for job classification. We will also be cut in on the freight pension plan. Anything over an8hr shift for terminal/city will be overtime, the daily work schedule will be 5x8 hr days (weekends off!!)... this will be announced at the begining of the year. Finally- those who are willing to work and accomidate change will find tons of opportunity within the fedex network, but not at National LTL!!!!!!
The Bad News:
say goodbye to sleeper teams- easy enough to run slip seat and meet and turns with single drivers and still make the cutoff on 4 and 5 day lanes (that is business days, weekends not included... (makes me wonder if linehaul might be heading toward 5x8 hr. days))

Terminals will close/combine: Smaller markets that are doublely served by FXN/Freight will combine operation and close down one of the terminals to reduce redundant overhead.

Management changeover: You don't spend 780 million dollars and not put "your people" in to run it. With the teamsters on the doorstep (see fedexaminer for details) leaving all the Watkins' loyalists in one place is a dangerous proposition... so shuffle them up!!

Tightening of the purse strings: 4 and 5 day is the cheapest way to move freight (typically non time sensative commodity freight). Therefore FXN will operate on smaller profit margins, requiring significant cost reductions....so what does that mean???? Ask a P truck driver.. he can enlighten you.

Creation of "super breakbulks": running 4 and 5 day lanes are usually coast to coast runs. Breakbulks will be expanded/ relocated (if expansion is not possible) on east and west coasts to accomadate the change in freight volume/ patterns.

Disinformation: Prior to the "release" of the contractors we all heard about how we were in a slow down because of "a general economic downturn".... funny Old Dominion is up 22% vs last year, and the other LTL companies are showing modest 4-8% increases over last year... FXN is down 28% vs. last year listed below are the numbers for freight for the 2nd quarter 06.. guess they didn't get hit by the "downturn"?

For the second quarter, the FedEx Freight segment reported:

• Revenue of $1.23 billion, up 31% from last year’s $932 million
• Operating income of $138 million, up 2% from $135 million a year ago
• Operating margin of 11.3%, down from 14.5% the previous year

The truth,
Fedex freight runs regional 2&3 day and do not run 4&5 day lanes (cart it out), so they have no freight to GIVE us in exchange for what they are TAKING. That being said.. we are looking at a year of hard times trying to grow NEW business from scratch (most likely longer). The Fedex name will make it a little easier to pickup business, but it will be a long uphill climb. With all this being said Fedex is the same as every company on the planet their existence is based on maximization of profits. Sure Watkins talked a good game employee this and that, but John Watkins didn't build that 60 foot cruiser boat with his own two hands, it was purchased off the sweat of all of you... at least Fedex will shoot straight with you!
:tongue0015:

Where did you get this info from?

Disinformation: Prior to the "release" of the contractors we all heard about how we were in a slow down because of "a general economic downturn".... funny Old Dominion is up 22% vs last year, and the other LTL companies are showing modest 4-8% increases over last year... FXN is down 28% vs. last year listed below are the numbers for freight for the 2nd quarter 06.. guess they didn't get hit by the "downturn"?

For the second quarter, the FedEx Freight segment reported:

• Revenue of $1.23 billion, up 31% from last year’s $932 million
• Operating income of $138 million, up 2% from $135 million a year ago
• Operating margin of 11.3%, down from 14.5% the previous year
Might this have something to do with the above refernced numbers??
FedEx Freight Segment FedEx Freight LTL Group:
FedEx Freight (regional LTL freight transportation)
FedEx National LTL (long-haul LTL freight transportation)
FedEx Custom Critical (time-critical transportation)
Caribbean Transportation Services (airfreight forwarding)

Summary of FEDEX CORP - Yahoo! Finance

Freight has more to it than just FXFE

FM

Hey Shop just wondering, in some of your earlier posts when the buy out was taking place you had posted that there will be no regional runs now you say no team runs your info seams to be a little "off" for lack of a better term. Also in DLS with the contractors gone there are more runs for the Co. drivers Can't speak for other places.

Yeah Familyman I figured those figures were solid but what I was wondering from Shop was everything above that lol. Like joe said he has been a little "off" so to speak.

Yes, the way he posted this was like FXFE and FXFW was "taking" from FXFN and that was the reason for the growth in the numbers he posted, when in reality FXFN and Carribean Transport and Custom Critical are also a part of that growth number.

Here's another quote from Yahoo finance
FedEx Freight LTL Group volumes increased in the second quarter and first half of 2007 primarily due to the acquisition of FedEx National LTL. Average daily LTL shipments, excluding FedEx National LTL, grew for the second quarter, although the growth rate moderated each month during the second quarter of 2007.
Summary of FEDEX CORP - Yahoo! Finance

FM

Funny thing is you also listed OD as being up 22%, have you read their message board ?http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/old-dominion-freight-line/4301-slow.html
EVERYONE IS SLOW, get over it, sheeesh, enough of the poor me syndrome.

FM

?

I would like to know how fxfe and National are going to handle the canadian freight; is freight just going to have national do the pickups for the canadian freight? I ask that question in reference to the U.S market.
As is going on since about two weeks ago Natonal will drop of there canada freight at the 6 locatons that freight uses as point of entries. Watkins in Canada is going to set up there operaton to mimic ours at freight And there road operation will be like ours to. From my understanding your technology over at Watkins is outdated. Boy you guys are going to see alot of change all over the place.

you guys can count on all new mngmt.it won't happen all at once but it will happen.in my region at fxfe there are no center mgrs left from af the all been canned or reclassed into lesser positions.most of the regional mgrs are gone as well.i'm not saying its a good or bad change but its a change thats going to happen.

I dont know how long youve been around 14 wheeler but I've been in several different centers and it seems that the East goes thru management like they are goig out of style.

You couldnt give me one of those jobs, not even for big bucks.

Daily fx national is sending a few trailers full of regional freight, and what was interline buisness to the fx freight terminal from local pick-ups and inbound. The trailers come back empty from fxfe. National is giving up freight and getting nothing in return.

Yea, Our manager says were picking up several bills of National freight everyday. 4 one day and 8 the next.

Straight shootin FedEx

:Bondage:
... it was purchased off the sweat of all of you... at least Fedex will shoot straight with you!
:tongue0015:
You will yearn for the days that all you gave was sweat, the Evil Empire will drink your blood. That straight shot is aimed at your heart. You will soon see disinformation taken to a fine art. The "Purple Promise" has a throbbing head, better pucker up..... $12:Bondage: