Holland | What happens after 5 years ?

I'am told that Yellow and Roadwy had to merg because there is a 5 year rule that says when one company buys another they must merg the two together as to make 1 company out of the 2 . Now if that is so that miust mean that Holland and New Penn will merg and drop both their names and go on the same senority list as Yellow Roadway after the 5 years is up from the time YRC bought those 2 . I can only hop that never happens for the sake of the Holland and New Penn teamsters :thumbsdown:
i think you were misinformed. i worked for advance trans. from milwaukee for 20 years. they used reimer express as their canadian connection til roadway bought reimer in the early 90`s.
then they used trans x. to the best of my knowledge, they both still operate seperatly and that is why i believe you were misinformed. plus, go to hankstruckpictures.com and see all of the trucking companies that were bought by others and forgotten. my dad worked for werner out of minneapolis. they bought out continental express who bought out rand motor i think it was called. they retained the continental name to keep the customers, thus calling themselves werner continental. then halls motor out of mechanicsburg pa bought them. then flying tigers bought halls, dropping them latter, but still no merge that i am aware of.

Here' s something that most if not all will not will remember . Back around 1950 there was a company called Federline that bought out Shippers Dispatch and instead of calling them selves Federline they keeped the Shippers Dispatch name which latter became Preston .

Here' s something that most if not all will not will remember . Back around 1950 there was a company called Federline that bought out Shippers Dispatch and instead of calling them selves Federline they keeped the Shippers Dispatch name which latter became Preston .
are you saying preston bought shippers dispatch? i was not aware of that.

Yeah , thats why ya haven't seen any Shippers D for all those years It became Preston . If ya been on the street as long as I have ya would know all that ::shit::. A baby born on the day I started as a city driver in some cases are now grandparents . I still have'nt adjusted to all this new way of trucking now days 2 differant scales, nonunion all different start times drivers voten to let the company f---with you pensions :thumbsdown:. Thats why I guess they call me old school guy. Happy I'am gone .

Yeah , thats why ya haven't seen any Shippers D for all those years It became Preston . If ya been on the street as long as I have ya would know all that ::shit::. A baby born on the day I started as a city driver in some cases are now grandparents . I still have'nt adjusted to all this new way of trucking now days 2 differant scales, nonunion all different start times drivers voten to let the company f---with you pensions :thumbsdown:. Thats why I guess they call me old school guy. Happy I'am gone .
i graduated high school in 1969 and started driving truck shortly afterwards, so i dont think im far behind you.

are you saying preston bought shippers dispatch? i was not aware of that.

Preston acquired Shippers Dispatch sometime in 1976. They started pushing the "partnership" in 1977. I guess later they dropped the S/D name and going with pure Preston.

Well then you seen some big changes over the years unless your from down south.
born and raised in aurora il, but moved back to family roots in southern il in 1990. dad drove road for great american after his discharge from ww11 in i believe the 40s and 50s and local for various companys such as carlstad motors , aurora motor express, chicago aurora motor, werner trans.,(from minnipalois not from omaho)and halls around aurora, chicago, and elgin area until his retirement in i think 1983. started my trucking career with a small company called coal city transfer. went on to drive for dart container, a private carrier, then chicago aurora motor for a year. in 1978 went to work for advance trans, a milwaukee based company, and spent the most enjoyable next 20 years of my working life with them. they sold out to anr in 1995 and it was down hill from there.

[quote author=Old School Guy link=topic=76337.msg801419#msg801419 date=1265959490]
I'am told that Yellow and Roadwy had to merg because there is a 5 year rule that says when one company buys another they must merg the two together as to make 1 company out of the 2 . Now if that is so that miust mean that Holland and New Penn will merg and drop both their names and go on the same senority list as Yellow Roadway after the 5 years is up from the time YRC bought those 2 . I can only hop that never happens for the sake of the Holland and New Penn teamsters :thumbsdown:
[/quote]More TM B.S. Talk knowing it would get passed on to everone else. Boomer

The 5 year rule was imposed by the Teamsters to protect work. Otherwise the companies could have been merged immediately and many jobs lost.

[quote author=Old School Guy link=topic=76337.msg802634#msg802634 date=1266208191]
To Northern Flash , why do you think merging a regional carrier would be a problem going to a long hall carrier? Yellow / Roadway are and for years back have done long hall and regional lanes . Don't be surprized if they don't put everyone togeather to eliminate terminals and would be able to cut more drivers and dock . Yellow /Roadway has terminals in every town Holland and New Penn operates and from what I understand they have plenty of room on those docks. P . S . Preston went under way after 1990 I know because part of the deal was to hire as many Preston people as we could at Yellow and now all those guys are all laid off . If I had to guess I would say 2003 or 2004 .
[/quote] 1999 and we are still here. for now :clap: :kicking: :shift: :popcorn: :duel:

I have been retired from Holland since 1997 but keep in touch with a lot of fellows. YRC has done nothing but mess up anything that they put their hands on. Putting Bean counters in Hollands terminal that came from companies that they could have not been first class has made it a mess for Holland. The drivers at the time I worked did not have to call Central to ask what freight to pick up as it was readied by other drivers that came in at night. YRC has messed that profit making operation up. I understand there is a so called recession but you layoff accordingly to compensate for that. I feel sorry for the workers at Holland and New Penn for the mess YRC has put them in. It is not only Zollars but the whole board that function together like our Federal government. I hope and pray that something happens for all of you and wish you the best.

[quote author=ralph6972 link=topic=76337.msg816338#msg816338 date=1269535641]
I have been retired from Holland since 1997 but keep in touch with a lot of fellows. YRC has done nothing but mess up anything that they put their hands on. Putting Bean counters in Hollands terminal that came from companies that they could have not been first class has made it a mess for Holland. The drivers at the time I worked did not have to call Central to ask what freight to pick up as it was readied by other drivers that came in at night. YRC has messed that profit making operation up. I understand there is a so called recession but you layoff accordingly to compensate for that. I feel sorry for the workers at Holland and New Penn for the mess YRC has put them in. It is not only Zollars but the whole board that function together like our Federal government. I hope and pray that something happens for all of you and wish you the best.
[/quote]thanks for your concern Ralph! Hope you are enjoying retirement......and welcome to the Boards! Dont be a stranger, you probably have much to offer to us with your opinion!

This would never happen, for one simple reason. Holland and New Penn make money because they don't operate like the disaster YRC. If they merged us, we would have to operate under their ideas, then nobody would make any money and the doors would close. Same reason YRCW will never let go of Holland or New Penn. I see the same rumor is going around again about Holland being spun off. I think George W Bush said it best "Ain't gonna happen". Unless $Bill decides he has made enough money, spins Holland and New Penn off and closes down YRC and floats away on his Platinum parachute.