XPO | What is the true fact on 16 hour rule?

I didn't read all the replies so it may have been said but this is for the op. There are two different rules to extend hours of service providing criteria are meant. The 16 hour rule has nothing to do with weather or traffic. Without splitting hairs, the operation we have allows you to use the 16 hour rule once per week with NO stipulations. The adverse driving rule allows you to extend to 13 hours driving but not beyond 14 total hours - unless you run a 600 mile meet you will almost never run into a situation where the adverse rule could be used. In order to use the adverse rule you could not have known about the conditions before you left your home domicile. Not only are they different rules, they cannot be used together.

It's a simple Google. I'm not a fan of this company like I once was, but the rule rule has been used legally in every instance I've seen. It's the break room hero drivers spreading misinformation about it that causes confusion.

I hope that helps. If not, Google it and read the regs from the dot and not heresy from other drivers.

Hours of service has two basic rules, thou shall not drive for more than 11 hours and thou shall not drive after the 14th hour of duty
the adverse driving exception only applies to the 11 hour rule, allowing for two additional hours of drive time. Notice it does not say "weather", it say driving which includes traffic slowdowns and accidents
the 16 hour rule (exception) allows a driver to drive beyond the 14th hour of duty up to the 16th hour, and easy interpretation for our company, we can use it and use it only once a week

Hours of service has two basic rules, thou shall not drive for more than 11 hours and thou shall not drive after the 14th hour of duty
the adverse driving exception only applies to the 11 hour rule, allowing for two additional hours of drive time. Notice it does not say "weather", it say driving which includes traffic slowdowns and accidents
the 16 hour rule (exception) allows a driver to drive beyond the 14th hour of duty up to the 16th hour, and easy interpretation for our company, we can use it and use it only once a week

Ignoring the legality, solely based on human physiology, what is your opinion of a man working a 16-hour day, in addition to many 14-hour ones?
Just curious, not making any insinuations or assumptions. Don't take this question the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If given the choice, I'd rather use an extension than sleep in a motel. Con-Way gives you a good motel, but I still prefer my bed and shower an few hours with the family.

while im just a city driver I was at one time a linehauler for a bit and if I anticipated myself getting to 14 hours I would work it out to 14.25 just to burn that 16 for the week......rule one of linehaul never go into Friday night with your 16 hr day left.that 15 extra minutes just to burn the 16 for the week is well worth it.they run lh guys hard enough without the 16 hr day.

Ignoring the legality, solely based on human physiology, what is your opinion of a man working a 16-hour day, in addition to many 14-hour ones?
Just curious, not making any insinuations or assumptions. Don't take this question the wrong way.

It's tough... to run linehaul you must balance your personal life to allow for enough sleep. The company has always allowed 60 minutes of break for linehaulers, one 30 and two 15's. But with the forced lunch break I believe they should have allowed drivers to combine the two 15's. The driver can take up to 30 on the way out and 30 on the way home when he truly needs to reset his head and fight back fatigue. So basing an opinion on human performance, it isn't the 14's and a 16, it is more about getting enough rest during the 10 hours away from work. And recognizing your own fatigue triggers and know when it's time to stop and refresh.

Safety is our number one core principle.
You should be well-rested when you come to work.
The following is a little arithmetic...
24 hours in the day, minus 16 hours logged, minus 1 hour round trip commute to work, minus 1 hour miscellaneous wait for loads/truck/lineup/:08 punch.
This leaves the average driver 6 hours to tend to family/home matters, get a meal, clean up, get to bed, awaken, get dressed for work, and get another meal at home before leaving for work.
Remember, "safety is our number one core principle".
insanity
noun
1 : mental illness, madness, dementia; lunacy, instability; mania, psychosis;
2 : folly, foolishness, madness, idiocy, stupidity, lunacy, silliness;

Um, don't we get 10 hours off?