Yellow | Where's Jack Cooper?

At what point would you have said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? The senior management of Yellow ($bill) began bankrupting THEMSELVES 20 years ago. From 2003 until they filed for bankruptcy, they NEVER SHOWED A GAAP profit. In fact, the primary source of revenue was in liquidating the assets of acquired companies. Doesn't that tell you something? Roadway never reported financial filings in EBITDA. They did not need to, they were profitable.
For me, it was 2009. Unfortunately, I could not retire at that time. But as soon as I could, I got out.
"And you all KNEW that Yellow was sinking fast and didn't have the money to pay their obligations." So what! Your solution was to ask those who have sacrificed, to give more? Brothers and sisters were already paying Yellow to work there. Substandard wages and pensions needed to be corrected. Do you understand, "pay the rate or close the gate".
Yellow wanted to shred the working conditions of the NMFA. No seniority, drivers working the dock, no follow the work. Mismanagement buy Yellow, NOT the IBT cost you your job.
I'll be the first to admit that Yellow employees gave and gave until it hurt, but I fail to see that $90k a year even without a pension was a terrible job.

I'll be the first to admit that Yellow employees gave and gave until it hurt, but I fail to see that $90k a year even without a pension was a terrible job.
Breeze, were you one of those employees? I was, 32 years worth. Yes, we gave and gave. Yes, many people with 30 years in bailed out because they needed their pension credits (in the West) and had to get them elsewhere. But you're right; $90K/year or for some of us, more than that ain't too shabby. Sadly, I don't think Hoffa pressed anywhere near hard enough for accountability in exchange for our sacrifices, and O'Brien didn't help our cause at all. What went on in Overland Park and then Nashville is a travesty, to put it mildly. Arrogance, incompetence and legalized theft.

Breeze, were you one of those employees? I was, 32 years worth. Yes, we gave and gave. Yes, many people with 30 years in bailed out because they needed their pension credits (in the West) and had to get them elsewhere. But you're right; $90K/year or for some of us, more than that ain't too shabby. Sadly, I don't think Hoffa pressed anywhere near hard enough for accountability in exchange for our sacrifices, and O'Brien didn't help our cause at all. What went on in Overland Park and then Nashville is a travesty, to put it mildly. Arrogance, incompetence and legalized theft.
I never worked for Yellow, I only had 1 job in my life, from 1955 to 1990 with Ryder, PIE.
I had several friends at Yellow who still liked their job.
I just feel like those employees should have had a say in the outcome.

I never worked for Yellow, I only had 1 job in my life, from 1955 to 1990 with Ryder, PIE.
Breeze, I knew you had to be in your 80s. So let's have it: did PIE have you hitch the horse to the wagon when you started out, or had they graduated to Mack chain drives the previous year? Let me guess; you're 87 or 88?

After I spent 21 years at Roadway, working for the “dumpster fire” YRC Freight was a nightmare. Inept management and no accountability from any employee.
Their suspension of pension contributions and subsequent 75% reduction resulted in a reduction of almost $1,000 a month, in my pension. From what it would have been otherwise for 30 years service.

Did you ask what ‘cash price’ would have been for the procedure?
No I did not. I never got a chance to even question what the problem with my insurance was let alone ask how much it would cost if I were to pay cash. I explained my issues six times and was sent to someone else six times. Good thing it wasn't a cancer re;lated procedure. Oh wait, it WAS a cancer related issues.

No I did not. I never got a chance to even question what the problem with my insurance was let alone ask how much it would cost if I were to pay cash. I explained my issues six times and was sent to someone else six times. Good thing it wasn't a cancer re;lated procedure. Oh wait, it WAS a cancer related issues.
And I sincerely hope that it will have the best possible medical outcome.

After I spent 21 years at Roadway, working for the “dumpster fire” YRC Freight was a nightmare. Inept management and no accountability from any employee.
Their suspension of pension contributions and subsequent 75% reduction resulted in a reduction of almost $1,000 a month, in my pension. From what it would have been otherwise for 30 years service.
I hear ya! Mine is at least that much.

I worked for Roadway for 21 good years and 9 miserable years for the dumpster fire that was YRC Freight.
Since you have stated that YOU were aware of the perilous financial condition of Yellow, WHY DID YOU STAY?
Did you sincerely think that O'Brien was going to allow Yellow to degrade working conditions, even further than they already had?
I will add that unless you worked for ANY of the heritage companies, your opinion is irrelevant.
One last thing, I do not hide behind cryptic screen names. Most people who have been on Truckingboards for any length of time know exactly who I am and where I worked.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Season's Greetings :1036316054:
I started with Rex in 1981 and finished with the rest in July of 2023, the difference over the years was night and day.......................................

So you've been collecting a pension since 53 years old? I love it !