XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For one XPO is self-insured they only are paying Cigna to manage the plan. All payments come out of the companies bottom line. The worth of an item or labor is what someone is will to pay for. When they want to pay to low no one fills out a job app. One question why do we have a hard time getting people. Take all the benes out of the question. We pay $29+ for drivers and I think the dock tops out at $20+. So why do people flock to places like amazon warehouse and other warehouses that pay in my area an average of $15? or trucking companies in my area that pay around $20 with now OT pay and benes that make our look great....

That's correct. We are self insured. Insurance actuaries have determined the actual cost of administering the Cigna plan and the cost of paying claims. It's unbelievable, but the cost is around 400.00 per man per week. Team Care is only slightly more expensive, however, it is a zero premium plan and the coverages are infinitely better. They even insure your family at no cost for five years in the event that you meet an early and untimely death. We had proposed, informally, that we would consider a small premium for members to insure that the plan would be the exact same cost as the Cigna plan and they STILL refused. Do you still think they care about us?

I can't answer why we have a hard time getting people. Maybe because we have a bad reputation.

That's correct. We are self insured. Insurance actuaries have determined the actual cost of administering the Cigna plan and the cost of paying claims. It's unbelievable, but the cost is around 400.00 per man per week. Team Care is only slightly more expensive, however, it is a zero premium plan and the coverages are infinitely better. They even insure your family at no cost for five years in the event that you meet an early and untimely death. We had proposed, informally, that we would consider a small premium for members to insure that the plan would be the exact same cost as the Cigna plan and they STILL refused. Do you still think they care about us?

I can't answer why we have a hard time getting people. Maybe because we have a bad reputation.
One reason we have a hard time is the Benes Suck !! Period !

Saw this yesterday:
Look like Xpo settled with some misclassified drivers last week it kind of went under the radar it seems.
Hopefully this is good for both parties involved.

7l0Zch8.jpg

Let’s hope not. We are definitely at a crossroads.

This country has gone sideways. The " gig " economy is drying up. A flash in the pan just like the " dot com " boom and immediate bust. If the union had it's ::shit:: together it would be mobilizing everywhere. Amazon would have picket lines in front of every warehouse. But that's not our reality. Our reality is a race to the bottom. A weak union presence with weak union leadership. And no reason for the common employee to seek representation. The people at the top have billions and would rather spend 100s of millions to fight a union drive than just give a realistic wage or any sort of benefits.

And so that leaves you two paths. The democratic way. Let the government be your source of income. I'm sure we have all seen the meme. There are two ways to make a slave. Work him without pay. Or pay him without work.

Or the republican way. Generate business. It will create jobs. Let the market dictate the result. Crap shoot.

Neither of these is very beneficial for the little guy. In the present or the long run. And obviously, these examples are generalizations. But pretty well the cut and dry of it. Some people start their own business. And they have all these big ideas. It don't take long until they adopt the same philosophies. Rinse and repeat.

As far as the election. They are already starting with all the victimization and millennial double speak. So, it'll be Trump that wins. The silent majority has been emboldened by this development. A lot of people didn't vote last election. Just assumed it would be Hilary. They are going to make sure the second term is a reality. Turn out will be amazing. Probably close to double what it was last election for Trump. It had been a question in politics for years. How do you engage the modern middle americans ? Look at what Trump did. That's how.

One reason we have a hard time is the Benes Suck !! Period !

Also. They work atmosphere is terrible. Never knowing when you are going home. And sometimes if you are going home. Extremely hazardous conditions. On top of offensive health care. Mediocre wages. And in some parts of the country or in certain job descriptions, no OT after 8 hours.

So, you haven't answered some of my questions. And I apologize if you are taking them to much to heart. But these are real topics that would be better discussed. And I have another for you. Being a big fan of history as you are.

Given that this has all happened before. And that we know the original results. When you compare the tech boom of 2019 to the one of 1919. And the respective impact on labor. How do you see the end result ? Will it come to violence ? And how much longer until we reach that threshold ? Will it take people in the streets ? Massive walk outs ? Forcefully closing or halting business ? Where do you see the line in the sand ? And once crossed, how far until there is change ? Burn down a few buildings ? Chase management back to their homes ? Run down CEOs in their mansions ? We have already seen signs. The Wayfair walk out was impressive. It shows you the true power of social media. It's not a " we will walk, we promise ". It's we are all walking right now and it's live for everyone to see. Where will this all lead and how far will it all go ? In your opinion.

They got pennies. But at least they got something.
I think they got a little more than that. The point is they stood up and got what they were owed. Some here would have suggested they due nothing . “ you take what the man deems as right “ . Mean time in Mara logo the weather is fine . Grass is manicured and we’re keeping up with the neighbors.

This country has gone sideways. The " gig " economy is drying up. A flash in the pan just like the " dot com " boom and immediate bust. If the union had it's :::shit::: together it would be mobilizing everywhere. Amazon would have picket lines in front of every warehouse. But that's not our reality. Our reality is a race to the bottom. A weak union presence with weak union leadership. And no reason for the common employee to seek representation. The people at the top have billions and would rather spend 100s of millions to fight a union drive than just give a realistic wage or any sort of benefits.

And so that leaves you two paths. The democratic way. Let the government be your source of income. I'm sure we have all seen the meme. There are two ways to make a slave. Work him without pay. Or pay him without work.

Or the republican way. Generate business. It will create jobs. Let the market dictate the result. Crap shoot.

Neither of these is very beneficial for the little guy. In the present or the long run. And obviously, these examples are generalizations. But pretty well the cut and dry of it. Some people start their own business. And they have all these big ideas. It don't take long until they adopt the same philosophies. Rinse and repeat.

As far as the election. They are already starting with all the victimization and millennial double speak. So, it'll be Trump that wins. The silent majority has been emboldened by this development. A lot of people didn't vote last election. Just assumed it would be Hilary. They are going to make sure the second term is a reality. Turn out will be amazing. Probably close to double what it was last election for Trump. It had been a question in politics for years. How do you engage the modern middle americans ? Look at what Trump did. That's how.
What with false hope and lies?

Last edited:
So, you haven't answered some of my questions. And I apologize if you are taking them to much to heart. But these are real topics that would be better discussed. And I have another for you. Being a big fan of history as you are.

Given that this has all happened before. And that we know the original results. When you compare the tech boom of 2019 to the one of 1919. And the respective impact on labor. How do you see the end result ? Will it come to violence ? And how much longer until we reach that threshold ? Will it take people in the streets ? Massive walk outs ? Forcefully closing or halting business ? Where do you see the line in the sand ? And once crossed, how far until there is change ? Burn down a few buildings ? Chase management back to their homes ? Run down CEOs in their mansions ? We have already seen signs. The Wayfair walk out was impressive. It shows you the true power of social media. It's not a " we will walk, we promise ". It's we are all walking right now and it's live for everyone to see. Where will this all lead and how far will it all go ? In your opinion.

I don't think a comparison is possible. 100 years and much has changed. However, to respond to your question, there's no need for violence or threats of any kind. I don't know how much longer until we reach the threshold; It's difficult to judge peoples breaking point. When enough people have had enough taken from them, there you will find the line in the sand. I don't advocate for violence or burning down buildings, but I do think you've hit the nail on the head with three of your possibilities. People in the streets demonstrating peacefully, massive walkouts and, not closing, but interrupting businesses through legal ULP strikes. I have attached an article you might find interesting.

What I really don't understand is that you and I agree on EVERYTHING that's wrong here...Until it comes to taking steps to address it. You say deal with it or leave. I say there is a 3rd option. Organize. Some may be able to deal with it and yet other younger guys may find it easy to go elsewhere. Many are hiring. For some, these options won't work. When I advocate for unionization, it's because I see no risk in the process. It's like finding a lottery ticket on the street. You didn't buy it, so it cost nothing, yet, the rewards could be life changing. Or, you might win a free ticket for the next drawing. Or, you could win nothing, which is exactly what you had before you picked up the ticket.

"We Just Remembered How To Strike" - Read the following article:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/04/strike-wave-teachers-nurses-labor-unions-kim-moody

I think they got a little more than that. The point is they stood up and got what they were owed. Some here would have suggested they due nothing . “ you take what the man deems as right “ . Mean time in Mara logo the weather is fine . Grass is manicured and we’re keeping up with the neighbors.

After they divvy it up and pay for what the lawyers cost. They still got robbed.

I don't think a comparison is possible. 100 years and much has changed. However, to respond to your question, there's no need for violence or threats of any kind. I don't know how much longer until we reach the threshold; It's difficult to judge peoples breaking point. When enough people have had enough taken from them, there you will find the line in the sand. I don't advocate for violence or burning down buildings, but I do think you've hit the nail on the head with three of your possibilities. People in the streets demonstrating peacefully, massive walkouts and, not closing, but interrupting businesses through legal ULP strikes. I have attached an article you might find interesting.

What I really don't understand is that you and I agree on EVERYTHING that's wrong here...Until it comes to taking steps to address it. You say deal with it or leave. I say there is a 3rd option. Organize. Some may be able to deal with it and yet other younger guys may find it easy to go elsewhere. Many are hiring. For some, these options won't work. When I advocate for unionization, it's because I see no risk in the process. It's like finding a lottery ticket on the street. You didn't buy it, so it cost nothing, yet, the rewards could be life changing. Or, you might win a free ticket for the next drawing. Or, you could win nothing, which is exactly what you had before you picked up the ticket.

"We Just Remembered How To Strike" - Read the following article:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/04/strike-wave-teachers-nurses-labor-unions-kim-moody

100 years and what's old is new again. Innovation has lead to changes. Nobody knew what to do about an assembly line and it's impact on people with machines. And now we have advances in artificial intelligence that will soon wipe out entire sectors. Accountants to truck drivers. Many will be impacted.

Without violence what need is there for change ? So long as complacency exists. There is opportunity to take further advantage. People don't like to change. You must force them to change.

Fella. If you and I were in the same place at the same time. We would be the best of friends. We have taken many steps in each other shoes. Whatever differences we have are trivial in nature and explicit to our environment and or culture/heritage. ( However you are supposed to word that in 2019. )

The union is weak. And we have seen its results. Very few positive examples. And many of us up here in yankee land have put time in union shops. And would rather not. It's how I got to a company like this in the first place. So, why would I fight to get something that I went out of my way to rid myself of ?

That said. I am all for these guys around here wanting to sign cards and get the teamsters involved. They have a belief that it will make things better. And if it manages to. Good for them. Possibly me. I doubt it. Don't believe it at all. But I am not going to stop it or get in the way. Other than to straighten out the flat out lies. The very first push these guys were telling everyone that they would walk in with full teamster pensions. That their service rank would be honored. 20 years pension guaranteed just to sign a card. I told everyone that was a lie. And I got some threats. Some really pissed off people. Just for telling these people to go down to the union hall and ask them yourself. That it is a lie. And when those people did just that. And found the truth. It hurt the effort big time. Because now the pro guys had also lost the respect. I can get lied to by management. I don't need another layer of that. But, like I said. Those guys are gone. A new crop of pro guys has moved in. We will see what they manage to accomplish. I would say time would tell. But time is running out. Not sure that the time left will allow for it.

Last edited:
100 years and what's old is new again. Innovation has lead to changes. Nobody knew what to do about an assembly line and it's impact on people with machines. And now we have advances in artificial intelligence that will soon wipe out entire sectors. Accountants to truck drivers. Many will be impacted.

Without violence what need is there for change ? So long as complacency exists. There is opportunity to take further advantage. People don't like to change. You must force them to change.

Fella. If you and I were in the same place at the same time. We would be the best of friends. We have taken many steps in each other shoes. Whatever differences we have are trivial in nature and explicit to our environment and or culture/heritage. ( However you are supposed to word that in 2019. )

The union is weak. And we have seen its results. Very few positive examples. And many of us up here in yankee land have put time in union shops. And would rather not. It's how I got to a company like this in the first place. So, why would I fight to get something that I went out of my way to rid myself of ?

That said. I am all for these guys around here wanting to sign cards and get the teamsters involved. They have a belief that it will make things better. And if it manages to. Good for them. Possibly me. I doubt it. Don't believe it at all. But I am not going to stop it or get in the way. Other than to straighten out the flat out lies. The very first push these guys were telling everyone that they would walk in with full teamster pensions. That their service rank would be honored. 20 years pension guaranteed just to sign a card. I told everyone that was a lie. And I got some threats. Some really pissed off people. Just for telling these people to go down to the union hall and ask them yourself. That it is a lie. And when those people did just that. And found the truth. It hurt the effort big time. Because now the pro guys had also lost the respect. I can get lied to by management. I don't need another layer of that. But, like I said. Those guys are gone. A new crop of pro guys has moved in. We will see what they manage to accomplish. I would say time would tell. But time is running out. Not sure that time left will allow for it.
If a serious pro labor guy or gal ever gets elected president there will be more time

That said. I am all for these guys around here wanting to sign cards and get the teamsters involved. They have a belief that it will make things better. And if it manages to. Good for them. Possibly me. I doubt it. Don't believe it at all. But I am not going to stop it or get in the way. Other than to straighten out the flat out lies. The very first push these guys were telling everyone that they would walk in with full teamster pensions. That their service rank would be honored. 20 years pension guaranteed just to sign a card. I told everyone that was a lie. And I got some threats. Some really pissed off people. Just for telling these people to go down to the union hall and ask them yourself. That it is a lie. And when those people did just that. And found the truth. It hurt the effort big time. Because now the pro guys had also lost the respect. I can get lied to by management. I don't need another layer of that. But, like I said. Those guys are gone. A new crop of pro guys has moved in. We will see what they manage to accomplish. I would say time would tell. But time is running out. Not sure that the time left will allow for it.

Great post and I certainly respect your feelings on the matter. I can't understand why a union organizer would lie like that. It destroys credibility and the movement itself. Allow me to add one more thought to this situation. You are correct when you say that the union is weak. What makes it weak is a shortage of members. In 1954, nearly 35% of all workers in the United States were union and the union was strong. We may never see 35% again, but I believe we can be strong again.

Status
Not open for further replies.