Yellow’s tonnage remains in free fall

Gee OD reported a 14% decrease for the same period. Maybe it's not the Teamsters Fault! Just might be their is not as much freight right now.
I research these things more carefully than most. What you say has merit; not sure why OD is also down sharply since they've been the "Cinderella" of the LTL industry for several years. Note that ABF is slightly up, FDX, Saia and XPO are down very slightly. What is important to note I think is that Yellow's market share has been dropping like a rock for quite some time. I blame this mostly on the "glass house's" terrible decision-making, a percentage of our Teamster brothers who aren't earning their keep, and aggressive competition. We need to compete, too. Mostly, we need to clean house at corporate, send the bureaucrats who don't really accomplish anything down the road, and work really hard to recover that market share.

Really the article was written with the intent to make the Teamsters look bad. And show how the union needs to cave again. The management will play this game for as they are allowed to.
Let it die then we have given sacrificed too much to destroy what's left of NMFA I've been saving $300 a week for the last 10yrs hope everyone else has been saving something too at least $150 a week.

Let it die then we have given sacrificed too much to destroy what's left of NMFA I've been saving $300 a week for the last 10yrs hope everyone else has been saving something too at least $150 a week.
Destroy what's left of the NMFA? The so-called NMFA of today is a misnomer since it only applies individually to 3 distinct/separate major LTL carrier agreements. There has been no "Master" agreement for decades. And just how much so-called "Master" would be left if Yellow disappears?

I don't agree with letting it die. What Yellow needs is a COO for management. With all the sacrifices the members have made and the good economy the last few years they are still in the same place they were 10 yrs ago. Nothing will change until the management changes. And that doesn't mean promoting people that have been groomed by the people they are replacing.

I don't agree with letting it die. What Yellow needs is a COO for management. With all the sacrifices the members have made and the good economy the last few years they are still in the same place they were 10 yrs ago. Nothing will change until the management changes. And that doesn't mean promoting people that have been groomed by the people they are replacing.
Yellow has been fighting to survive with one arm tied behind their back because of the bad decisions made years ago which gave them a heavy debt burden. As others have stated, it's a credit to current/recent management that they have managed to survive with that debt albatross hanging over them. People can hate them all they want but they have managed to hang on all this time and still provide decent jobs for many people. Those wishing to see them fail and close are sad individuals IMHO.

Trip I for one do not wish for Yellow to fail. The number of members that have been lost since Zollars went on a buying spree is truly sad. But doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results just doesn't work. Yes they have one arm tied behind their back but if Hawkins is the leader to get them out of this then he needs to step it up. Start with cleaning out his own house of unnecessary sales and management positions. Tough choices have to be made on both sides. The management needs to show they are willing to make the situation better or else 5 years from now the members will be in the same position again!

Trip I for one do not wish for Yellow to fail. The number of members that have been lost since Zollars went on a buying spree is truly sad. But doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results just doesn't work. Yes they have one arm tied behind their back but if Hawkins is the leader to get them out of this then he needs to step it up. Start with cleaning out his own house of unnecessary sales and management positions. Tough choices have to be made on both sides. The management needs to show they are willing to make the situation better or else 5 years from now the members will be in the same position again!
Green$dawg, my reply wasn't aimed directly at you, sorry if it came off that way. I do take exception to your claim that they are doing the same thing over and over. They have implemented various changes over the years and are attempting major changes as we speak. I don't know for sure how successful the previous changes have been in terms of increasing profitability or how the current proposed changes will work out, but I do believe they are definitely trying to make changes, not just doing the same thing over and over. Maybe the proposed changes will turn things around, I guess time will tell.

Well no offense taken but drastic changes are needed on both sides. ABF is an example while they were not in as dire straits as Yellow when they needed to they made the.When Judy took over it didn't look good for the first couple years. But she made the difficult a d not always popular decisions that needed to be made. Both management restructuring and member sacrifices. No turn around is quick but progress needs to be shown or else it is time to find someone who will get the job done. Gotta go neighbor is mowing her lawn with short shorts and tube top!

Well no offense taken but drastic changes are needed on both sides. ABF is an example while they were not in as dire straits as Yellow when they needed to they made the.When Judy took over it didn't look good for the first couple years. But she made the difficult a d not always popular decisions that needed to be made. Both management restructuring and member sacrifices. No turn around is quick but progress needs to be shown or else it is time to find someone who will get the job done. Gotta go neighbor is mowing her lawn with short shorts and tube top!
Post pictures of the neighbor. And post pictures of the lawn mower for Billo.

Green$dawg, my reply wasn't aimed directly at you, sorry if it came off that way. I do take exception to your claim that they are doing the same thing over and over. They have implemented various changes over the years and are attempting major changes as we speak. I don't know for sure how successful the previous changes have been in terms of increasing profitability or how the current proposed changes will work out, but I do believe they are definitely trying to make changes, not just doing the same thing over and over. Maybe the proposed changes will turn things around, I guess time will tell.
Tri,
We usually are on the same page, but not quite on this one. The company has made some horrible blunders on Hawkins' watch, many of which are traced to sales and still others to operations, namely CDO. In the past couple of years, they have trashed Holland, made serious problems for New Penn, and continued the same old problems with Reddaway and YRC. The management is bulging at the seams; we need lots of them gone, and the resulting cost savings. We need to focus on "takin' care of business", not jamming the customers, who then take their business elsewhere. The customer is who writes the check; protect that income source.

Tri,
We usually are on the same page, but not quite on this one. The company has made some horrible blunders on Hawkins' watch, many of which are traced to sales and still others to operations, namely CDO. In the past couple of years, they have trashed Holland, made serious problems for New Penn, and continued the same old problems with Reddaway and YRC. The management is bulging at the seams; we need lots of them gone, and the resulting cost savings. We need to focus on "takin' care of business", not jamming the customers, who then take their business elsewhere. The customer is who writes the check; protect that income source.
RT, I can't dispute what you say. I'm road so I basically get my paperwork, do my pre-trip, and hit the road. I don't interact with many people on the job, especially not customers, so I don't have first hand knowledge of many things you mention. All I was trying to say in my post was that management seems to me to be making changes as opposed to just going along like same old, same old. Whether those changes turn out good or bad remains to be seen I guess.