Yellow | Yellow Change of Operations: “Super Regional” Network Begins (TDU)

I really hope the new guys you have running the International in D.C. have a better handle on the freight side than the Hoffa gang did.

I sincerely hope that too.

It would take an absolute fool to think everyone in operations side of trucking doesn’t benefit from a strong Teamsters union.

Unfortunately, that is also true for a weak Teamsters union. It affects us all. We watched wages stagnate while YRCW was cutting. Anyone who didn’t notice it is a liar.
Thank you for the kind words concerning my retirement. I was on the picket-line in 1994, my only one (thank God). The last “real negotiated contract” was prior to 2008. The rest of them have been vote yes, or close the doors. That is when the bottom dropped out. You are correct that todays union employees face negative actions that I never did (I thank God for that). Yellow owned every union company except ABF. Especially after UPS was allowed to bail out of CSPF and that 6.1 Billion soon disappeared by means of mismanaged funds (embezzlement). Good luck to drivers everywhere, it is a challenge, that is for sure.

What I see is YRC slowly, trying to move freight like FedEx, XPO, and a few others do, so they are basically called road drivers doing dock work, switches, fueling, or whatever job needs done. And yes, I know how many road guys will say, I’m not running a forklift, or fueling, or crack me over the head with a mirror,but that type of competition is forcing YRC to change operations. Ok, you have all been great, but I gotta go.
We did this same style of change in 2007 it was called velocity and it failed miserably.i don't know why they think it wil work now.i transferred to louisville ky.the change had meet and turns set up with little rock the whole first two weeks into the change we were cancelled every day,and cincinnati line haul came through and picked the freight.im sure the same style of dumb ::shit:: will be happening at various places after this change

We did this same style of change in 2007 it was called velocity and it failed miserably.i don't know why they think it wil work now.i transferred to louisville ky.the change had meet and turns set up with little rock the whole first two weeks into the change we were cancelled every day,and cincinnati line haul came through and picked the freight.im sure the same style of dumb **** will be happening at various places after this change
Not taking sides here, but in the first go around, Zollars and his stupidity was in charge. Not saying Hawkins will succeed, but I really don't think he has many other options available. If, or when the economy tanks, they need to have their ducks in a row, somehow, to survive. Stop by in December of this year and we will look at things then.

Not taking sides here, but in the first go around, Zollars and his stupidity was in charge. Not saying Hawkins will succeed, but I really don't think he has many other options available. If, or when the economy tanks, they need to have their ducks in a row, somehow, to survive. Stop by in December of this year and we will look at things then.
It sure looks like the economy is going to tank big time just from casual observation. Just remember this is all part of Co$$$#%%#r mouths plan for us working stiffs.

:poke:
Brother you are totally wrong, corruption is what it is, IBT and Yellow Corp. are abusing the contract at any time they want.
I hope this new IBT leadership changes everything.
If they get our full pension back or some kind of especial program for some of our senior Teamsters to retire plus higher wages for everyone in the next contract.
Then that's a change.
If not this company will collapse, not by bad management, but for lack of labor.
:violin:
...."some kind of especial program for some of our senior Teamsters to retire ".... Just do it, that's what I did 5 years ago after 30 paid in.

Here’s a special program. 1 pallet on each unit for the same consignee. Nice, huh!

6D0A5E2D-6FA3-45ED-876E-AAF78E4D853E.md.jpg
That's actually pretty common here in Quincy, Ill. Yellow Freight has a terminal here. Holland sends 3 sometimes 4 guys a day over here from Atlanta, Ill. See them frequently lined up to deliver or pick up maybe 2,3,4 pallets each at the same place. They have done it for years. They have 6 hours a day drive time.

Here’s a special program. 1 pallet on each unit for the same consignee. Nice, huh!

6D0A5E2D-6FA3-45ED-876E-AAF78E4D853E.md.jpg
Anyone who's been in this racket long enough will tell you this isn't just Yellow, the worse shape the carrier is in, the more this stuff happens. Let me know when Yellow starts to give a pallet rate to shippers to get off LI NY. Every dead carrier, that was their last gasp.

Darrel Harris

Thank you, Dan. And good afternoon everyone. While the first two months of the quarter presented some unique challenges, I'm proud of our employees for finishing on a strong note in March to partially offset the challenges we encounter.

Turning to our One Yellow transformation, we will complete the transition to a super-regional carrier around the end of the year in three phases. We have completed the planning and analysis of the first phase to integrate our linehaul network in our pickup and delivery operations. We expect Phase 1 to be implemented this summer in the western part of the US, which has the lowest execution risk profile. This will include the optimization of 89 legacy YRC freight and runaway terminals.

We will apply lessons learned during the remaining phases. This is very similar to how we recently executed our successful transition onto a single technology platform. We expect the remaining phases to be implemented in the second half of 2022, with Phase 2 occurring in the Northeast and Midwest, positively impacting approximately half of our terminals.

Phase 3 will be the final phase impacting the southeast and central U.S. We look forward to providing you with updates on how the transformation is progressing on our second quarter earnings call.

As we transform the network to operate as a super-regional carrier, we are integrating the line haul network to support both regional and long haul service as well as optimizing our pickup and delivery operations to eliminate redundancy. When completed, the linehaul optimization efforts will help drive speed, efficiency and consistency in our network.

The city pickup and delivery optimization efforts will eliminate the overlapping coverage that currently exists between brands. And we will have one yellow driver interacting with our customers for both regional and long haul services. Overall, we expect the network transformation to enhance customer service lead to greater efficiencies and cost savings and create capacity in the network. As an added benefit, operating as a super-regional carrier will promote fluidity and consistency in the network. That will allow us to mitigate some of the negative impact of winter weather in the future.
:bouncy:

Unidentified Analyst

Hi. First, can you give us an update on your terminal reduction plans? What is the latest plan for the rest of the year? Thanks.

Darrel Harris

Certainly, we're at 316 terminals today as we speak. The changes we're making in the west, will reduce that by nine. As where we're going to land at the end of the year? It'll be right around 300 plus or minus a few as we go through optimization. But I do want to add Aaron, that when you look at door count. And I'll give you an example. Let's take the State of California. Right now Yellow has 33 total terminals in California, when we make these changes, over the next several weeks that number in California will go from 33 to 28. So we will reduce it by five.

But from a door standpoint, that'll only be 184 door reduction. And we will still have over 1700 doors available at those facilities in California. And I just want to make it clear that we're not giving up geographical coverage. And we're also going to protect capacity for our customers, because we do plan on growing when we complete One Yellow.

The YRCW companies’ members voted back in ’08 or ‘09 to give up “only 5%” to keep the company in business initially.

As a non-union employee of a direct competitor, I could even see what was happening.

The fact that the YRCW top brass was taking bonuses and raises while begging their employees to take cuts on everything was coined “equal sacrifice”.

As union employees, you should have stuck together and made the executives pay for it.

Now the wages have fallen so far behind that there is no reason to entertain even becoming a Teamster member. The pension is not something you can walk into a bank and use as collateral to buy a house. I hope it is there for all CSPF participants. I’m just saying that as long as Thomas Nyhan has anything to do with it, you need to save your own retirement too. In a time when everything on Wall Street was on sale him and his buddies got rich, while members had red zone letters sent to their homes. Then when all of us non union guys 401k’s tripled the CSPF that is in the same stock market never recovered.

If I was a CSPF participant I’d be asking some serious questions. #1 would be why is Tom not in jail for what he did with the CSPF retirees and participants money. (Especially after receiving the check from UPS to cover the unfunded liability.)

The YRCW companies’ members voted back in ’08 or ‘09 to give up “only 5%” to keep the company in business initially.

As a non-union employee of a direct competitor, I could even see what was happening.

The fact that the YRCW top brass was taking bonuses and raises while begging their employees to take cuts on everything was coined “equal sacrifice”.

As union employees, you should have stuck together and made the executives pay for it.

Now the wages have fallen so far behind that there is no reason to entertain even becoming a Teamster member. The pension is not something you can walk into a bank and use as collateral to buy a house. I hope it is there for all CSPF participants. I’m just saying that as long as Thomas Nyhan has anything to do with it, you need to save your own retirement too. In a time when everything on Wall Street was on sale him and his buddies got rich, while members had red zone letters sent to their homes. Then when all of us non union guys 401k’s tripled the CSPF that is in the same stock market never recovered.

If I was a CSPF participant I’d be asking some serious questions. #1 would be why is Tom not in jail for what he did with the CSPF retirees and participants money. (Especially after receiving the check from UPS to cover the unfunded liability.)
If you weren’t an employee of a YRCW company in 2008 or later then don’t criticize those of us that had to chose between keeping a union job or going jobless for years. We all had to think hard before voting. Many of us voted No but ultimately were outnumbered. We all sacrificed to keep the doors open and the freight moving. Add our hourly wages, healthcare contributions and our pension contributions together, and the company pays us more per hour than nonunion LTLs pay their employees. Any Yellow Teamster will understand this. It’s each member’s responsibility and duty to make this union stronger in the future. We have new leadership and new ideas. Things are different now.

That was for the first contract we voted for .We didn't have the opportunity to vote for the give back the next 5 yrs. Hoffa arbitrarily pushed that thru without a vote from the rank & file

In 1993, Yellow Corp., one of the largest U.S. trucking companies at the time, purchased Preston. But five years later, it was dissatisfied with the carrier’s sales and sold it to a group of Preston managers. "Yellow really went out of its way to ensure that Preston had a bright future,” a Merrill Lynch analyst said.

Actually, Yellow saved Preston Trucking. Preston was only days away from failing to make payroll. Yellow put a lot of money into Preston by purchasing new equipment and upgrading technology. Preston eventually failed for the same reasons as the other 600+ union companies that died. We could not compete with lower cost carriers like Con-Way, American Freight, Old Dominion, etc.
We weren’t sold to Preston managers; we were “sold” to 3 Yellow VPs. Yes, Preston was days away from not meeting payroll, so, yes- we were saved. But what Preston was, was the Guinea Pig to prove we could do 2Day Service from St Louis to Boston via the Richfield Super Service Center. Service was fantastic- one of our Indy Road Drivers brought freight straight thru from York Pa that I delivered in Indy at 9am the next morning, 600 miles away.

Yellow Corp refinanced everything back to Preston paying for the takeover and bought 600 trailers and the Richfield Center, all with Preston’s name on them, but took over them and covered the name with Yellow within 10 days of Preston closing. The whole thing seemed shady, but could never hold up to a lawsuit finding corruption.

The deal was never supposed to have Preston surviving. It was made to acquire Saia, which Preston owned, and Preston paying for Yellow’s acquisition of Saia, thru wage concessions. The entire deal resembles the YRC wage concession to pay Debt of buying Roadway and Holland. Preston failed because, while they paid debt service for Saia, they didnt have enough money to pay for equipment maintenance. That scenario happened to YRC until the US Treasury gave $700 million to them, or they too would probably have folded. Debt kills…….

Jimmy Hoffa made the Teamsters Union great, his son destroyed it.
Yes, and no. Jimmy Hoffa had Meyer Lansky cooperating with Lucky Luciano and the Five Families backing him. I agree that Junior ruined it, but circumstances were certainly different in today’s world. With cameras everywhere, and the internet, Hoffa’s 1959 tactics don’t work. Bill O’Reilly details it in his Killing The Mob book. Old Man Kennedy paid the Mob to not kill Bobby Kennedy who was going after Hoffa. JFK’s dialliancies with Mob Women kept him in check, and Jimmy was allowed to do whatever it took to grow the Union and Las Vegas.

Last edited: