Yellow | Yellow Change of Operations: “Super Regional” Network Begins (TDU)

Preston Trucking Company had the "Super Region" concept in the 90's. Turns and meets were supposed to eliminate layover costs and improve service.
Here is what did not change. Outbound dock wanted late starts to load all the outbound freight. Inbound dock wanted all the inbound to arrive no later than 6 AM. The meets and turns became 350 miles or less to make that happen.
It was the last gasp of a dying company.

Preston Trucking Company had the "Super Region" concept in the 90's. Turns and meets were supposed to eliminate layover costs and improve service.
Here is what did not change. Outbound dock wanted late starts to load all the outbound freight. Inbound dock wanted all the inbound to arrive no later than 6 AM. The meets and turns became 350 miles or less to make that happen.
UPS runs almost all meets and turns and sticks to cut times and makes tons of money.

UPS doesn't have a "dock".
Our road drivers don't want one.
So they will be looking for an out. And $37 or so/hour top rate will be an option.
We've had guys go there. I tried it but it ain't for me.
I like it more local. But our UPS has lots of local work now. I don't regret not staying there. I tried it on some vacation time.

I was part of the Yellow/Roadway merger and it was a nightmare. The 2 largest in America at that time coming together was supposed to be done over a multi-year period. Financial collapse in 2008 made it happen in first 3-months of 2009. What a cluster. I can’t imagine what bringing 4 companies together in a year will be like. Good luck folks.

I was part of the Yellow/Roadway merger and it was a nightmare. The 2 largest in America at that time coming together was supposed to be done over a multi-year period. Financial collapse in 2008 made it happen in first 3-months of 2009. What a cluster. I can’t imagine what bringing 4 companies together in a year will be like. Good luck folks.
YEP ! Train wreck . Better call the "Derail Crew" Just like last time . $5 fuel ,bad time !

Here's a question that was asked by another Brother..

Food for thought....how can YRC be merged into a Reddaway terminal that is non-union, or even on a white paper contract and Reddaway be the surviving terminal? Let alone, YRCF Teamsters will have to go by their work rules that were never negotiated by the IBT, even if it is a white paper contract?

This and hundreds of other questions should be asked of your local freight business agents who may attend the change of operations hearings in June. NOW is the time to pour over these change of ops proposals to see how they will affect you and your fellow Teamsters in your barn. As this Phase 1 change will most likely be the blueprint for changes in the 2nd and 3rd phases later in the year, it would behoove Brothers and Sisters at New Penn, Holland, and the rest of YRC Freight to be ready with questions for their change of ops committees too.

Many of you went through this in 2009 when Yellow Freight and Roadway "merged" and remember what challenges you went through with the committees and their decisions then. THIS TIME...BE PREPARED AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. GET YOUR STEWARDS AND BUSINESS AGENTS INVOLVED ASAP!

Remember that...

injury.jpg
Solidarity Brothers and Sisters at YELLOW!
:usa:

From my understanding, it was Yellow who put the nails in the coffin at Preston.
Was it Yellows Super Regional concept then?

In 1993, Yellow Corp., one of the largest U.S. trucking companies at the time, purchased Preston. But five years later, it was dissatisfied with the carrier’s sales and sold it to a group of Preston managers. "Yellow really went out of its way to ensure that Preston had a bright future,” a Merrill Lynch analyst said.

Actually, Yellow saved Preston Trucking. Preston was only days away from failing to make payroll. Yellow put a lot of money into Preston by purchasing new equipment and upgrading technology. Preston eventually failed for the same reasons as the other 600+ union companies that died. We could not compete with lower cost carriers like Con-Way, American Freight, Old Dominion, etc.

Our road drivers don't want one.
So they will be looking for an out. And $37 or so/hour top rate will be an option.
We've had guys go there. I tried it but it ain't for me.
I like it more local. But our UPS has lots of local work now. I don't regret not staying there. I tried it on some vacation time.

I did the same. Took the call out points for a week and a half. It wasn't for me. The location of some of their buildings were in places I don't like going to. Bottom of the board would have me going to those places a lot and I wasn't willing to do that.

In 1993, Yellow Corp., one of the largest U.S. trucking companies at the time, purchased Preston. But five years later, it was dissatisfied with the carrier’s sales and sold it to a group of Preston managers. "Yellow really went out of its way to ensure that Preston had a bright future,” a Merrill Lynch analyst said.

Actually, Yellow saved Preston Trucking. Preston was only days away from failing to make payroll. Yellow put a lot of money into Preston by purchasing new equipment and upgrading technology. Preston eventually failed for the same reasons as the other 600+ union companies that died. We could not compete with lower cost carriers like Con-Way, American Freight, Old Dominion, etc.
New equipment???what I remember they purchased used tractors that where already worn out, moved us out of west Middlesex to Richfield and turned it into a disaster.

New equipment???what I remember they purchased used tractors that where already worn out, moved us out of west Middlesex to Richfield and turned it into a disaster.
Well they did buy you new trailers.......................but decided to keep them after the sale to the managers. Later known as the 830xxx series 45 footers...................................

New equipment???what I remember they purchased used tractors that where already worn out, moved us out of west Middlesex to Richfield and turned it into a disaster
Preston bought the '94 Volvos and hundreds of the 36000 series pups after the Yellow purchase in '93. I took my assigned tractor, 20769, to Pittsburgh when Middlesex closed in '97. I do remember the used ABF tractors they were buying towards the end in '99.

Well they did buy you new trailers.......................but decided to keep them after the sale to the managers. Later known as the 830xxx series 45 footers...................................
Those 830 trailers were great p&d trailers. Most were built at the old Fruehauf plant in Ft. Madison Ia. I had one for several years on my long run. That trailer plant sometimes looked like a yellow terminal. We delivered a lot there. A guy told me they could make 50 pups a shift.