Yellow | Yellow & Roadway MAY Merge Some Linehaul Operations

Kennesaw Kid

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Yellow & Roadway MAY Merge Some Linhaul Operations..:hide:

OK.....let me READ you a story........

"Longhaul less-than truckload carriers Yellow Transportation and roadway Express could merge some of their linehaul operations, William Zollars, chairman and chief executive officer of YRC Worldwide, told an investors conference here Feb.14."

"Earlier this year, YRC put the carriers, which it has run separtely since 2003, under one executive, Michael Smid. "We spend $2 billion a year on linehaul costs, and I'd like to save 5% of that a year. Roadway and Yellow are aligned well now for operational intergration>" Zollars said. He added that it would be harder to intergrate pickup-and - delivery work."

"Zollars also said YRC will make two "not massive" acquistions in China during the first half of this year, one in logistics, and the other ground transportations."

I have now finshed reading you the story that Jonathan S.Reiskin wrote for Transport Topics on February 19, 2007..........KK

Not a lot to decipher, they are looking at ways to save the co money, one of which is to merge linehaul, but he thinks city would be harder to do, but it shows they are looking at it also.

THANKS K.K.
Still trying to decipher this...:hide: :smilie_132:

What's there to decipher? Its very clear. Dollar Bill is saying that it would be to hard for Yellow to go pick up and deliver Roadway freight... and Roadway to pick up or deliver Yellow's freight to each others customers. However, the customer would not know who took it from terminal to terminal. Roadway or Yellow. It would appear Dollar Bill is hinting that within the Line haul operations...Yellow or Roadway may pull each others freight from terminal to terminal! Thus in the line haul Operation itself...Both companies could be combined for the Line haul operations only! Thus eliminating duplicate operations.

What's there to decipher? Its very clear. Dollar Bill is saying that it would be to hard for Yellow to go pick up and deliver Roadway freight... and Roadway to pick up or deliver Yellow's freight to each others customers. However, the customer would not know who took it from terminal to terminal. Roadway or Yellow. It would appear Dollar Bill is hinting that within the Line haul operations...Yellow or Roadway may pull each others freight from terminal to terminal! Thus in the line haul Operation itself...Both companies could be combined for the Line haul operations only! Thus eliminating duplicate operations.

Yup what he said and probably you would pull less empties.

AND..5% of $2 billion is $100 million per year cut in linehaul costs. I can see it now....YRC Logistics..........KK

Maybe

Maybe he is only talking about one central dispatch calling all the shots. One central dispatch setting up all the loads. Now that could be quite a cluster.

Dollar Bill is saying that it would be to hard for Yellow to go pick up and deliver Roadway freight... and Roadway to pick up or deliver Yellow's freight to each others customers. However, the customer would not know who took it from terminal to terminal.
yea I can see the horror now,customers freight lost for weeks...its on a yellow truck..no its yellows freight but its on a roadway trailer...are you sure? the computer says its in Texas on a roadway trailer but we found it still in Memphis on a yellow trailer but that was only two skids where's the third skid? I dont know? well find it...its exact express!!

I agree with Union Jack. Combining managers does not require the same process that combining the actual movement of freight would. This would almost certainly trigger a nationwide change complete with rebidding and moving expenses. At $100 million per year in savings, I think that it would take to long to pay for. Flood brings up a good point, both companies lose bills and trailers now. Imagine the multiplication in having the freight crossing from one system to the other that much.

The only thing i could see them trying to do is have a driver, let's say he's a yellow driver, pull a roadway and a yellow pup out of an end of the line instead of pulling a load and an empty. Of course once the freight got to the break terminal, you'd have to get the roadway trailer back to the roadway terminal. So would they really save that much money?? I have no clue, but when your dealing with people as smart as our crack management team, it's not even worth trying to think like them.

Flood brings up a good point, both companies lose bills and trailers now. Imagine the multiplication in having the freight crossing from one system to the other that much.
it would be possible to systematize confusion with the right tools,but not with trying to do today's job with yesterday's tools.

Take the 2 biggest LTL Carriers in the game and combine linehaul? What a nightmare. I can't tell you how many times over the years I was dispatched to a terminal to get a set only to find that when I arrived the set was already picked up by another driver who was also sent to get that set. I've seen many times when CDO sent 3 different drivers to the same terminal to get the same set. I've had Roadway drivers tell me that the same thing happens there. One can only imagine the problems that would occur if you doubled this. I think Bill Z. is trying to stir the pot a little just before the NMFA negotiations are to begin. I don't think that YRC really wants to open up this hornet's nest but I've been wrong before. Also, how do you merge one aspect of 2 Companies and not the others?

yea I can see the horror now,customers freight lost for weeks...its on a yellow truck..no its yellows freight but its on a roadway trailer...are you sure? the computer says its in Texas on a roadway trailer but we found it still in Memphis on a yellow trailer but that was only two skids where's the third skid? I dont know? well find it...its exact express!!

CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't understand all the discussion and worry over something we can't do anything about.If they decide to do it ,they're going to do it,and you,me,Jimmy or Jesus are not going to stop them.So why are we waisting time talking about it????????????

I can't understand all the discussion and worry over something we can't do anything about.If they decide to do it ,they're going to do it,and you,me,Jimmy or Jesus are not going to stop them.So why are we waisting time talking about it????????????
Hey now we have to talk about something!....Ok..I am ready for summer time...tired of old man winter!!!

I thought that was the purpose of the boards....to discuss and possibly educate!

Well they are going to merge soon, you can bet on that, I have seen this several times before...I have been in this buisness for nearly33 years, and I remember this story over and over, they are not going to have two of everything in every city nationwide, and you can bank on it...it is comming and the guys on the bottom, well would be a good move to look into anything as good as you have now..cause you may not have it in a year or so...2007 is predicted for transportation to slow some, and they will find the simple way of cutting cost, just like you see them pulling more and more 53ft vans, which gives them a savings on .2cents a mile, which adds up to millions of dollars..you can denied it all you want, but as sure as the trucking industry continues this route and it will, they will merge...good luck to you all....( go check your history) Ryder Pie Transcom...Spector RedBall Eastern Freight...ABF Carolina...Ackers and Central Freight...Pilot TNT...all union...all gone...

Shifter is right,
These companies tried all different types of mergers and you can bet that YRC has all the facts and figures they need to do it right with the least amout of interference from the Union or the Companies themselves. Like my Dad always said " FOLLOW THE MONEY"

Because the top of the website reads.......
" When you want to know whats going on!".....an informed and educated employee scares the hell out of management!.....KK

Well they are going to merge soon, you can bet on that, I have seen this several times before...I have been in this buisness for nearly33 years, and I remember this story over and over, they are not going to have two of everything in every city nationwide, and you can bank on it...it is comming and the guys on the bottom, well would be a good move to look into anything as good as you have now..cause you may not have it in a year or so...2007 is predicted for transportation to slow some, and they will find the simple way of cutting cost, just like you see them pulling more and more 53ft vans, which gives them a savings on .2cents a mile, which adds up to millions of dollars..you can denied it all you want, but as sure as the trucking industry continues this route and it will, they will merge...good luck to you all....( go check your history) Ryder Pie Transcom...Spector RedBall Eastern Freight...ABF Carolina...Ackers and Central Freight...Pilot TNT...all union...all gone...

Uhhhh....correct me if I am wrong, but I think ABF is still in business.....Did you get a memo Hillbilly Frog that we did not see?......KK