Yellow | Yellow & Roadway MAY Merge Some Linehaul Operations

I do not think you can compare the mergers from the past with a merger of Yellow and Roadway of today. I do not see a real gain. Like I said from a previous thread, I think we are looking at it the wrong way. Currently Yellow and Roadway are sharing some terminals. I recently became aware of the sharing of shop logistics. The BIG BOARD that the main office looks at might see Yellow and Roadways ability ti pulling each others trailers as a first step. I think that it is too much of a nightmare. Plus the IBT at this point probably would not allow it. But, we must watch and communicate, that is imperative.:1036316054:

Take the 2 biggest LTL Carriers in the game and combine linehaul? What a nightmare. I can't tell you how many times over the years I was dispatched to a terminal to get a set only to find that when I arrived the set was already picked up by another driver who was also sent to get that set. I've seen many times when CDO sent 3 different drivers to the same terminal to get the same set. I've had Roadway drivers tell me that the same thing happens there. One can only imagine the problems that would occur if you doubled this. I think Bill Z. is trying to stir the pot a little just before the NMFA negotiations are to begin. I don't think that YRC really wants to open up this hornet's nest but I've been wrong before. Also, how do you merge one aspect of 2 Companies and not the others?
Good point about NMFA negotiations stl dude. I can hear it now..."well i know we've made record profits, but we can't give you the big raise you guys want. How about instead of that raise we promise not to merge operations and that will protect your teamster jobs." To me, that sounds like something the management team would say.

I do not think you can compare the mergers from the past with a merger of Yellow and Roadway of today. I do not see a real gain. Like I said from a previous thread, I think we are looking at it the wrong way. Currently Yellow and Roadway are sharing some terminals. I recently became aware of the sharing of shop logistics. The BIG BOARD that the main office looks at might see Yellow and Roadways ability ti pulling each others trailers as a first step. I think that it is too much of a nightmare. Plus the IBT at this point probably would not allow it. But, we must watch and communicate, that is imperative.:1036316054:
I concur with your post UnionJack. From my "Yellow" perspective, Yellow can't even coordinate their own equipment and lanes right now. If Yellow and Roadway blended any of their linehaul lanes, it would surely be a recipe for disaster! But as a precaution, I've packed my cover-alls, go-jo and extra shop rags just in case I wind up in the sticks w/a blue nose one owner, trying to build a tandem with that jiff...
But on a serious note, you are right on. We must watch and communicate with one another. You never know, someone may post something here that they've seen or heard that may well be the missing piece to the big puzzle...

Well they are going to merge soon, you can bet on that, I have seen this several times before...I have been in this buisness for nearly33 years, and I remember this story over and over, they are not going to have two of everything in every city nationwide, and you can bank on it...it is comming and the guys on the bottom, well would be a good move to look into anything as good as you have now..cause you may not have it in a year or so...2007 is predicted for transportation to slow some, and they will find the simple way of cutting cost, just like you see them pulling more and more 53ft vans, which gives them a savings on .2cents a mile, which adds up to millions of dollars..you can denied it all you want, but as sure as the trucking industry continues this route and it will, they will merge...good luck to you all....( go check your history) Ryder Pie Transcom...Spector RedBall Eastern Freight...ABF Carolina...Ackers and Central Freight...Pilot TNT...all union...all gone...
Shifter, just for the record, RyderPie didn't merge with Transcon. Transcon busted outright. RyderPie was clearing Transcon's freight & servicing some of Transcon's contract customers (trying to gain new business) when they crapped out. Pilot was acquired by TNT as a subsidiary and busted outright (with a little help from TNT: Anyone remember Elliot Burnside?). The best examples of failed mergers would be Smith/American, McLean/Delta and Spector/RedBall. They were all miles apart operationally and cash strapped also... ABF/Carolina, if you'll recall, was an acquisition. But it was a successfuly acquisition, which is rare as far as freight mergers/acquisitions go... We can all see things that YRC has been doing over time to blend their system. My guess about any kind of linehaul merging is this: We may wind up moving some of each others freight on a few shared lanes from shared satellites (or, end of line terminals) to breakbulks that are within close proximitiy of each other or move some full load, single bill freight (or some WalMart/other retailer trap freight) across aforementioned lanes in the same manner. To ever try to move freight thru one anothers breakbulks and try to break it (especially LTL) on one anothers dock would be virtually impossible. Some of you Dock Pros care to intervene here?... I personally believe they're graspin' here... (probably some young buck out at the little Vatican on the prairie, trying to climb the ladder, came up with this, got everybody lathered up cause they're gonna save the co. some money and he's gonna get that big promotion but, they haven't run it thru the grinder yet to see how it's gonna work operationally)...It is the contract season. Let the poor mouthin' begin!

has anyone here heard that yellow sold its chicago terminal and is looking to move into the roadway south chicago heights terminal???
trying not to be abother here but i thought this is the right place to ask the question.....

Sorry Jack Yellow bought Roadway thats not a merger.

ABF is still going,but how many good men lost there job and had to start over when thay dovetailed all those Carolina drivers in?
None if they wanted to tough it out. How many gave up is a different thing. I had to wait and see if some were coming back before I was hired so they had the chance if they wanted it.

has anyone here heard that yellow sold its chicago terminal and is looking to move into the roadway south chicago heights terminal???
trying not to be a bother here but i thought this is the right place to ask the question.....
CR,
You're not being a bother Bro......I spent 4 hours Tuesday hammering out our Spring road bids with the BA, Terminal Mgr. and L/H Mgr. and nobody ever mentioned it.

CR,
You're not being a bother Bro......I spent 4 hours Tuesday hammering out our Spring road bids with the BA, Terminal Mgr. and L/H Mgr. and nobody ever mentioned it.

Just wait its only a matter of time before we see a yellow truck pulling a rdwy trailer or vice versa a Rdwy truck pulling a yellow trailer. :hide:

Sorry Jack Yellow bought Roadway thats not a merger.
You might want to check that MM. Yellow Corp., the parent co. of Yellow Transportation, bought Roadway Corp. the parent co. of Roadway Express. Yellow Transportation and Roadway Express are wholly owned subsidiaries now of YRC Worldwide (YRC National Trans.) They are still away and seperate as far as seperate operations go, on paper. No, We (Yellow Transportation) have NOT bought Roadway Express...

merger

:chairshot: Mr. Mooresville moose, I did not say that yellow and roadway merged. Please understand how I wrote my comment. I was answering a previous person who suggested a merger. I responded that you cannot compare a merger of years ago trucking companies and a merger of yellow and roadway with the size of the companies today. You have to read the who story to see all the light at the end of the tunnel. :chairshot: :nutkick:

Happens all the time. About every other set we send to Medford, OR has a Roadway box in it.

As I see it this is what will happen; they will cease line operations at one of our local terminals, Yellow or Roadway. Who knows, they may even keep the boards separate. But if they merge them I guarantee that it will be a dovetail, doesn’t matter who bought whom, and I know what it says in the contract. They will be dovetailed. All line operations will be dispatched from that terminal, shuttle drivers will carry the freight to and from the terminal without the line. All the freight will still get broken at its respective terminal. It will be done differently in all areas depending on sleeper operations, terminal coverage, size, and location.

I am curious are they relocating line operations at any other Yellow terminals? At my terminal they are moving the line dispatch into the dock office. Funny thing is they have a big line haul dispatch building, why would they bother building a new dispatch in the dock office, and leave that other building vacant?

Happens all the time. About every other set we send to Medford, OR has a Roadway box in it.

As I see it this is what will happen; they will cease line operations at one of our local terminals, Yellow or Roadway. Who knows, they may even keep the boards separate. But if they merge them I guarantee that it will be a dovetail, doesn’t matter who bought whom, and I know what it says in the contract. They will be dovetailed. All line operations will be dispatched from that terminal, shuttle drivers will carry the freight to and from the terminal without the line. All the freight will still get broken at its respective terminal. It will be done differently in all areas depending on sleeper operations, terminal coverage, size, and location.

I am curious are they relocating line operations at any other Yellow terminals? At my terminal they are moving the line dispatch into the dock office. Funny thing is they have a big line haul dispatch building, why would they bother building a new dispatch in the dock office, and leave that other building vacant?

Now the million dollar question.

What date will they use in the dovetail? Here in BUF we have a load of guys who left Roadway to come to Yellow when Roadway threatened a COO. They then changed their minds and a bunch of those guys went BACK to Roadway, some of them at 75% and (rumor has it) some at 100%, but with a hire date of the day they came back.

So, do they dovetail with their last rehire date, or will we see some kind of formula of their Roadway time plus their Yellow time?

Now the million dollar question.

What date will they use in the dovetail? Here in BUF we have a load of guys who left Roadway to come to Yellow when Roadway threatened a COO. They then changed their minds and a bunch of those guys went BACK to Roadway, some of them at 75% and (rumor has it) some at 100%, but with a hire date of the day they came back.

So, do they dovetail with their last rehire date, or will we see some kind of formula of their Roadway time plus their Yellow time?

If I'm not mistaken they both (I think there was only 2) came back at 75% and lost seniority,basically a new hire. Although 1 managed to keep his safe driving miles (4 accidents, all should have been chargeable) and got his 1 million safe driving shortly after he came back to Roadway from Yellow. A lot of guys are pizzed about this.:biglaugh:

Forgot the main point of the post. They would dovetail with their latest hire date as would 1 other guy who has quit 4 times and come back 4 times. We think he wants to be low man on the pole forever. He used to be senior to me, would be bidding 15 on the 110 man board.............sheesh.........