Yellow | YRC regional units to close 27 service centers - Reuters

• Thread starter Jeffs Better Half
  • Start date
<<<<>>>>>>>
I'm getting damned tired of these old accusations against Holland for the demise of Red Star when anyone with reasonable intelligence knows YRC orchestrated the shut-down and reconciliation package as a prelude to the buyout. I find it odd that when you talk to Dugan drivers hired by Holland they're happy as hell, but the some of the Red Star guys are still wishing for the 70's powerbase the Union once held..... What's past is past guys, get over it and worry about our future.
Most of Reddaway is NON-Union and I imagine given a deal like Dugan's people They will be as happy to join.
The six centers in Holland probably employ less than 25 union brothers each and most (all?) are in the Southern Conference giving them bumping rights under &quot;suitcase seniority&quot;. The Change of operations will allow some to be absorbed into terminals who will be expanding service areas to cover sales regions covered by the closed terminals.
If you need to point a finger, point it at YRC's (mis)Managment and what they've done to take a historically very profitable Regional LTL Carrier (Holland) and turn them into a clone of a barely profitable YRC company. All done by a bunch of Corporate Goons who don't give a damn about producing a saleable product, just stock prices.
Yellow has a long history at being successfull by just keeping it's head above water by climbing up on the competition and drowning them in the process.
In other words.... STOP B****ING ABOUT HOLLAND, and take aim at the real asses who did it to you Red Star guys! They did to Holland too!!!!
....Suitcase Seniority... I asked our TM during our bad news meeting what USF Holland would be doing with our union brothers down there. His answer was &quot;Nothing, no following work, no obligation to transfer or anything, they are just simply out of work.&quot; He said of course, they can try getting into another union carrier but everyone knows that it will be a long time. He stressed to us that Holland has no obligation since it is a terminal closure not a change of operations. I hope he is wrong, but he had just got off the conf. call with the wizards. I'm from USF Holland, Gaylord, MI. Our terminal fits ALL of the same criteria that our TM used for excuses for these closures. We are a little nervous here. We could easily be in the next round of cuts.
God Bless you guys that got hit in the first round!

NFlash,
Unfortunately your TM isn't wrong. Holland will no longer provide service to the soon to be closed areas so no other terminal will be gaining the work.....meaning there will be no gaining terminal to move into.

Wow, maybe they shouldn't have given out all of those hams at Christmas time...when they(Holland) pulled out a set of work rules signed by James Hoffa Sr. back in 1956, and one of the largest freight locals in the east (776) didn't challenge them for better conditions, we figured that the fix was in. Out all week and kick and pick when needed were substandard in the east but now it looks like it's going to be the norm.

By the looks of this contract vote, we're being &quot;done&quot; from the top down again.

Wow, maybe they shouldn't have given out all of those hams at Christmas time...when they(Holland) pulled out a set of work rules signed by James Hoffa Sr. back in 1956, and one of the largest freight locals in the east (776) didn't challenge them for better conditions, we figured that the fix was in. Out all week and kick and pick when needed were substandard in the east but now it looks like it's going to be the norm.

By the looks of this contract vote, we're being &quot;done&quot; from the top down again.
UW I couldn't agree more. I said all along the only reason Yellow wanted Holland in the first place was for the Hoffa dispatch rules.We found that out the hard way,Remember ?

tell me something here about your holland &quot;kick and pick&quot; what is the most amount of skids you had to transfer, at a dark terminal? just drop some off? maybe p/u a few? it's not like you ever had to rework whole trailer to get freight on is it. and you get hr pay for all time worked, is that right.

tell me something here about your holland &quot;kick and pick&quot; what is the most amount of skids you had to transfer, at a dark terminal? just drop some off? maybe p/u a few? it's not like you ever had to rework whole trailer to get freight on is it. and you get hr pay for all time worked, is that right.

If the trailer is &quot;LOADED CORRECTLY&quot; then the freight to be kicked off is on the rear. And the freight to load is all together on the dock. This is how it is most times. And just about all of our freight (95%) is skidded.

Then you get the terminal that does not give a s*** (and most drivers know these terminals) and it looks like it was loaded with a bucket loader and the freight to kick off is mixed in with the rest of the load from front to back. Because the supervisors at these terminals just want it off there dock and refuse to bay it up and load it at the end.

If the trailer is &quot;LOADED CORRECTLY&quot; then the freight to be kicked off is on the rear. And the freight to load is all together on the dock. This is how it is most times. And just about all of our freight (95%) is skidded.

Then you get the terminal that does not give a s*** (and most drivers know these terminals) and it looks like it was loaded with a bucket loader and the freight to kick off is mixed in with the rest of the load from front to back. Because the supervisors at these terminals just want it off there dock and refuse to bay it up and load it at the end.
I agree, ususally a drop is easy work. But yes, I have been known to have to strip a 53 footer to get to my 1 pallet in the nose I had to drop. My fault? NO. But my job to make that drop. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

GTA I never said your Almighty Holland shut Red Star down .My B***H was with the Hiring process they put the Red Star drivers thru and I hope they don't do that to the Reddaway guys.I hope Yellow gives them fellas and the Holland people who lose their jobs over this the chance to merge into Yellows system but to be honest I don't see that happening. I've learned a long time ago that once these company moguls get away with something they just get better at it and the bad part is they make the Union look like asses over it weither they had anything to do with it or not. We can argue this all night but it ain't gonna help those who need the help now.

i couldnt agree more---us red star guys really took a darn good beating---and to top things off the holland guys wouldnt even talk to us---they knew what we went thru and snubbed their noses at us just like good old management did---sorry but thats the way it really happened to us---its like they became puppets of management well i am semi retired now and drive for a non union company--lovin life--fishin and travelin and the grandkids too love it as well im new to this site was told a long time ago to get on here to see what was happenin and i see some fellas still feelin the sting of the red star days and they got every right to feel that way---man did we ever get the shaft

i couldnt agree more---us red star guys really took a darn good beating---and to top things off the holland guys wouldnt even talk to us---they knew what we went thru and snubbed their noses at us just like good old management did---sorry but thats the way it really happened to us---its like they became puppets of management well i am semi retired now and drive for a non union company--lovin life--fishin and travelin and the grandkids too love it as well im new to this site was told a long time ago to get on here to see what was happenin and i see some fellas still feelin the sting of the red star days and they got every right to feel that way---man did we ever get the shaft

I wonder, What was it you wanted the drivers at Holland to do about the bad treatment you guys got? Congrats on your retirement and welcome to Truckingboards.