FedEx Freight | 1 minute idle shutdown - it's here!

roogie

TB Veteran
Credits
Just got my truck back from PM, it shuts down now after 60 seconds. Yes, even at stoplights with the clutch pushed in.

Tell everyone you know, I'm just glad I noticed before taking it out on the road. This is coming to all trucks at next PM.

I am glad our speed is the same but this is just plain dangerous. Of course I'm aware of bumping the throttle, however on my tractor even putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch didn't reset the timer.

Tell everyone so they don't have a shutdown when the light turns green!

roog

Man I heard that last night.... That is just STUPID !!!!!!!!!!! How IGNORANT can you get ???? We have over 30 stoplights to go through ONE WAY on our nightly run.... What about the city drivers who drive these trucks ????? My truck uses .4 gallons per hour at idle..... Figure that up.... This is just STUPID,,, and more so DANGEROUS..... VERY UNSAFE.... All lights turn off when the key is off to reset the thing,,, block traffic,,, etc.... I have NO problem turning it off when you get out to hook or drop,,, but this is DANGEROUS......

this shouldnt be such a surprise someone should have had a preshift with you and give you guys the right info on it:hide:

Just got my truck back from PM, it shuts down now after 60 seconds. Yes, even at stoplights with the clutch pushed in.

Tell everyone you know, I'm just glad I noticed before taking it out on the road. This is coming to all trucks at next PM.

I am glad our speed is the same but this is just plain dangerous. Of course I'm aware of bumping the throttle, however on my tractor even putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch didn't reset the timer.

roog

That is just plain stupid!!!

roog

I hope that they don't try that with our trucks. They're implementing 3 minute shutdowns on our fleet. 1 minute is just INSANE. Big time safety issue.:hide::hide:

Hate to be so blunt, but the idiot in GO who finalized this decision will only regret it as he is walking out of the building for the last time after the company attorney's have informed the CEO that the second or third multi-million dollar lawsuit has just been filed against the company.

The "educated" leaders in control of this company apparently did not stop to consider that the negative "PR" being splashed all over CNN from the upcoming results of this is gonna wipe out any fuel savings many times over.

All we can do is pray no lives are lost before this absolutely insane policy is reversed.

this shouldnt be such a surprise someone should have had a preshift with you and give you guys the right info on it:hide:

What's a preshift,we on the road don't have them educational talks b-4 we roll. But I've always said since when is the colleage educated IDIOT smarter than the engineer at cummins to do the STUPID MORONIC things they do to these motors, but who am I ? I was hired from the neck down, no thought or words needed!!:chairshot:

Do we still have that phone number we can call and express our opinions or questions? we could call hro and express our thoughts about the safety factors involved with the one minute shut down.Not that they will listen,but you never know.

Update:

I talked to KCY shop, they agreed that it shouldn't be happening while the clutch is pushed in. They have so far suspended this update for trucks until they get with HRO and figure something out.

In my truck it will shut down if the clutch pedal is pushed in. Putting the truck in neutral and letting it out, then pushing it back in and into gear will reset it (just like bumping the throttle.)

In a new KW that clutch trick had no effect, only a throttle bump will do it. No idea how this affects those with autoshifts.

They do these updates with a CD from HRO, the computer sets these parameters automatically when they run the CD. They have the CD so that all the trucks are set the same.

Hopefully they will figure this out quickly, but for now the updates in KCY are suspended.

roog

Wait. You guys think they are concerned with "safety"? Really? Makes for nice posters and talking points, but really.

It's about the money. Until someone gets killed, they won't be very concerned. And until then, think of all the money they will save in fuel. Which of course will be paid out in maintenance.

Nothing but college grads runnin' this place.

This is a classic case of a desk jockey, with too little to do, and a fascination with spreadsheets. Obviously someone who has never been in a truck. But to his superior, he just saved 1,432 gallons of fuel on his spreadsheet. Atta boy! Hopefully they correct this. 3 minutes is a stretch, 1 minute is just retarded. :nutkick:

to save fuel first of all get rid of these junk a$$ kenworths, then have a bonus incentive for drives that get good fuel milage, progessive shifting and keeping you foot out of it will save alot of fuel, i used to work for a guy that done this and it worked well for him. it takes more fuel to restart a truck every minute than to just let it idle

Update:

I talked to KCY shop, they agreed that it shouldn't be happening while the clutch is pushed in. They have so far suspended this update for trucks until they get with HRO and figure something out.

In my truck it will shut down if the clutch pedal is pushed in. Putting the truck in neutral and letting it out, then pushing it back in and into gear will reset it (just like bumping the throttle.)

In a new KW that clutch trick had no effect, only a throttle bump will do it. No idea how this affects those with autoshifts.

They do these updates with a CD from HRO, the computer sets these parameters automatically when they run the CD. They have the CD so that all the trucks are set the same.

Hopefully they will figure this out quickly, but for now the updates in KCY are suspended.

roog

Thanks for the update roog ! Please keep us informed.... :1036316054:

Cant wait untill I am stuck in chicagoland traffic and my truck shuts down in gear. I drive an auto shift and sometimes it will not start right away when it shuts down in gear. Hmmm what do I watch the traffic or the little yellow light? Sometimes it is hard to catch it in 3min I cant wait for 1...:chairshot: