FedEx Freight | 1 minute idle shutdown - it's here!

Never underestimate the power of a redneck... Loose Cannon.. you have heard me talk.. just the enunciation of the southern slang from the pallet of my mouth would blow him away! correct? haha :smilie_132:
Save your Dixie cups cause the South is gonna rise again.

Hybrid drivers hybrid thats whats she is like I have an autoshift so just drive with both feet left on the brake as you do when you back those pain in the a$$ things up to keep them from slamming into the dock.whatever someone somewhere thinks this is going to be great they probably got an atta boy so whatever I went into the shop and preordered my new starter

You can't sign out the gate without it shutting down...........roll, set brakes better tell the guard to look out I might hit the throttle or set the brakes....uuuggghhh!!!!

I drove one of these yesterday for the first time. HOLY COW! It was worse that I thought it was going to be. This is worse than ridiculous.

Only one solution here people. Listen up. We must assume that a decision like this came from somebody in Harrison. We must politely and strongly suggest to the "powers that be" in HRO that somebody (I suggest the numbskull that thought of this) in HRO have the computer system in their personal car be set up with a one minute shut-down for a period of one week.

After that week, have them imagine their experience in a Volvo with a set of doubles attached.

Nuff said.

Pain in the donkey

They got my mule about a week and a half ago in CLT. Road driver took it to get tires and wham-o. Came back messed up. I almost crapped when it shut off at the stop light. Now use more fuel bumping the accelerator to keep it from shutting off. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant:1036316054:

Does anybody know the person to contact in HRO about this problem? I asked my dispatchers, and they would not give me an answer. All they told me was they are working on a solution.

As everyone has stated, it is a SAFETY HAZARD!!!!!! Mine shut down 3 times yesterday while waiting for a ligtht to turn green. It did is once today. This is unacceptable. Next time I see a diesel bear on the side of the road, I'm going to hit the shoulder, turn on the 4 ways, and ask him about the safety issue myself. I'd like to see what he has to say about it.

When I took my CDL test (mind you it was 12 years ago), I distinctly remember than when you are stopped in traffic, you should be in your desired gear, with the left foot depressing the clutch and the right foot on the brake. They are telling us to take our foot off of a pedal in order to keep the engine running!!!

What about when you are on a hill? Are we supposed to let the truck roll backwards into the car that is 6 inches from our icc bumper in order to keep the engine running?

Am I supposed to pay more attention to a warning on my driver display, than I do to my surrounding and traffic around me?

Why can't the idle shutdown be tied to the parking brake? When the brake is set, the truck shuts down in one minute. It already has an interlock that works with the air release fifth wheel. The fifth wheel won't release unless the brake is set. Why can't we have the engine run, unless the brake is set?

Please tell me who to call and email, and I will. This policy is absolutely ridiculous.

Ya don't like it , leave....

:BS:Here is what I think......:eck13:
They don't have to drive these trucks.

:nutkick:Yea I know neither do I .......
You can quit and go someplace else if you don't like it Smokestack.

The Irony:

I hate to keep whipping this horse, but stupidity drives me nuts. Everybody is IGNORANT, simply because nobody knows EVERYTHING, but most stupid people arrive at that condition mostly by choice.

Now I would NEVER accuse anybody of deliberately doing something stupid, because these things usually are done before the people doing them realize what the big picture is.

In simple terms, the action has caused exactly the opposite effect of what was desired when the action was enacted.

In this case, this is causing Fedex Freight to burn MORE fuel daily than before this was implimented.

Virtually no drivers that I observe leave their trucks parked with the engines running anywhere for any reason. The only time the engines are idled for any measurable time is while waiting, at a dock, at a meet point, at a breakdown point, etc, because it is very hot or very cold. To keep a tolerable atmosphere inside the truck in order to remain ALIVE, whether in frigid cold or sweltering heat, the driver depresses the accelorator at the beginning of each automatic shut-down sequence.

Now, (attention college-educated HRO decision makers) the driver is stomping on the "gas pedal" three times every three minutes. Before this change, the driver was stomping on the "gas pedal" one time every three minutes. Which scenario burns MORE fuel and costs this company MORE money?

:annoyed:

The Irony:

I hate to keep whipping this horse, but stupidity drives me nuts. Everybody is IGNORANT, simply because nobody knows EVERYTHING, but most stupid people arrive at that condition mostly by choice.

Now I would NEVER accuse anybody of deliberately doing something stupid, because these things usually are done before the people doing them realize what the big picture is.

In simple terms, the action has caused exactly the opposite effect of what was desired when the action was enacted.

In this case, this is causing Fedex Freight to burn MORE fuel daily than before this was implimented.

Virtually no drivers that I observe leave their trucks parked with the engines running anywhere for any reason. The only time the engines are idled for any measurable time is while waiting, at a dock, at a meet point, at a breakdown point, etc, because it is very hot or very cold. To keep a tolerable atmosphere inside the truck in order to remain ALIVE, whether in frigid cold or sweltering heat, the driver depresses the accelorator at the beginning of each automatic shut-down sequence.

Now, (attention college-educated HRO decision makers) the driver is stomping on the "gas pedal" three times every three minutes. Before this change, the driver was stomping on the "gas pedal" one time every three minutes. Which scenario burns MORE fuel and costs this company MORE money?

:annoyed:

You can't fix "Stupid" haha

i can fix that

Just got my truck back from PM, it shuts down now after 60 seconds. Yes, even at stoplights with the clutch pushed in.

Tell everyone you know, I'm just glad I noticed before taking it out on the road. This is coming to all trucks at next PM.

I am glad our speed is the same but this is just plain dangerous. Of course I'm aware of bumping the throttle, however on my tractor even putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch didn't reset the timer.

Tell everyone so they don't have a shutdown when the light turns green!

roog
/from lyion,i agree its verry unsafe and against the law to have a vehicle that has that set up .if you go to the scale house and get on the scales and that truck cut off there going to call you around back for sure .dot is going to have a Field day with whom ever drives that truck.pull in to a scale house and show a dot agent he will shut that truck down in a heart beat just ask them at any weigh station if its legal they will shut you down till a mechanic fixes it. the federal and state laws require that at all times the driver must maintain control of the vehicle when driving .your not in control like that . id call federal safety people and tell them what the company has done .they see that there fine the company big time .your asking for a wreck and possible get some one killed with that set up . and you will be held response able partly .you are required to write it up on your logs and not drive it till its fixed ,every one should no that if you drive a 18 wheeler .

Way to go JJ.. give them another idea! :chairshot:

i don't care if the truck shuts down every 15 seconds i'm on the clock.

today when i was lift gating freight i had to leave my truck running because the batts aren't holding a charge so in the future am i supposed to start the truck run to the lift gate work it and when the truck stalls do it again?

what going to happen

i don't care if the truck shuts down every 15 seconds i'm on the clock.

today when i was lift gating freight i had to leave my truck running because the batts aren't holding a charge so in the future am i supposed to start the truck run to the lift gate work it and when the truck stalls do it again?
/ from lyion,the starter will be going out in no time at all , air lines will go , the truck will start to fall a part soner are later .i wouldnt drive the dam truck.