Yellow | %10 giveback poll

They were all told the same thing, just as we were on Sunday...."Vote for this thing or start looking for jobs...." It's a done deal, I just hope that we aren't financing our own Warn Act money in the process......

Just like at jevic! If they close the doors. It will abrupt and there will be no warn act money! They will file bankrupcty and and then everyone will have to file a class action lawsuit and wait years for probaly pennies on the dollar!! The warn act is a joke! If a company does not want to pay it! Theres no teeth in the law for them to do so!!!

I got $5680 from Preston after they closed; $2000 for the WARN Act, $3680 for 5 weeks vacation. Took 18 months to get paid, but I got it.....Lost 3 sick days and a personal day. Gotta use them on the job, or lose 'em....

So far, I saw my lay off coming, and used my 4 remaining sick days in the two weeks before I got the axe. Scheduled my personal day over Thanksgiving-- they laid me off the week before the holiday so I lost the p-day. Then they stuck it to me by saying I hadn't worked within 15 days as a laid off (I worked 5 days before-- as an active).....nothing gets by Yellow. But I wasn't stuck for the sick days this time!

This is smoke and mirrors, period....
I don't worry about it anymore. I shut CF down. I'm now laid off road CVE, now laid off from the dock. #20
something on the laid off list. I put in 66 hours in the last 7 days on the dock.
It's not as bad as Yellow is leading you to believe. CVE is always out of drivers,
But not using laid off drivers. Freight is rotting with no drivers. Express shipments don't get moved. Same old sh!t when last contract was up and they scared us into voting that in.

I have to laugh at most who try to justify that they're being overpaid & that because things are slow across this country right now that its ok to give 90 bucks aweek back to the co.. Wake up & smell the coffee, Im worth everybit of what this outfit is paying me & then some, as the years go by there is less & less unity among the union. This garbage 5 yr. contract that the majority voted in, Im proud to say I had nothing to do with it, If you idiots vote to give back,im outta here,used to be proud not anymore, I'll go work non-union then I can be just like all who voted yes

do i get 10% more time to do the same run? do I get a 10% increase in my lunch break? I think I will roll 10% slower....

We have people doing that now at full scale, and that is a big part of what's hurting this company. If people continue with this attitude, we are doomed for failure. Check my first post again. I said, we all need to do our part to make sure the plan works and that our company and our jobs are secure for the long haul. At least with my outlook, even if the company fails, I have a clear conscience, and now I did my best.

I have to laugh at most who try to justify that they're being overpaid & that because things are slow across this country right now that its ok to give 90 bucks aweek back to the co.. Wake up & smell the coffee, Im worth everybit of what this outfit is paying me & then some, as the years go by there is less & less unity among the union. This garbage 5 yr. contract that the majority voted in, Im proud to say I had nothing to do with it, If you idiots vote to give back,im outta here,used to be proud not anymore, I'll go work non-union then I can be just like all who voted yes

Ya know what? I also voted no to the contract and local supplement. I also agree that I am worth every penny they pay me, but this has nothing to do with that. With 4.4 million people unemployed in this country ( New unemployment claims reach 26-year high - USATODAY.com ), and half of that figure from this year alone, the financial situation is not unique to YRC. What is unique is that we have an opportunity to save some jobs and not just put everyone on the street. How many big name companies have shut there doors? Who would have believed this was possible? How many companies are drastically reducing their workforce just to stay viable? Do you, or anyone else, that thinks this is a joke, really think it will be so easy to find a job that pays anywhere near what we get (including benefits) now, or even reduced by 10%? Do you really think you can just walk over to a nonunion LTL and just get a job? Look at their posts here. Conway shuts 40 terminals and just last week cut 1400 jobs. Fedex guys posting they are lucky if they get 8 hours a day, let alone a full week. If you really think it's a walk in the park, then go, I wish you luck, I think you will need it.

So yes, while I did also vote no to the contract, this time I am voting YES. In my opinion, this is a no brainer, and anyone that doesn't see this, is either blind or has no brains.

I talked with one of my B.A.'s today. Told him about this rumor that they are going to finish the merger the when they are done they will cut the board's nationwide by 50%. He said that sounds way too drastic. He said this is what I know is YRCW said they are going to continue the merger, They are having a national change that should be effective March 1st 2009. Realigning our primary lanes. Which is understandable. YRCW will continue to layoff workers at each individual barn, example at KCM they want the single men to be able to run 2300 miles per week. They want sleeper teams to run 4600 miles per week. Where it ends will vary at each terminal. Currently we have 51 drivers laid off. My math tells me if we merge road seniority at KCM it might end up being a combined total layed off by march of say 125 drivers. Really too early to tell.

As far as will this giveback work he said as long as YRCW shows profitability. If they don't the banks could still call the notes. It's that simple. Personally I believe its toast, why because we still have guys that have a different opinion of whats a fair days work for a fairs day pay. If we could meet somwhere in the middle with our work effort on a daily basis we might make it work. In other words, Non-Union carriers expect too much work for little pay. Us unionized workers try to work as least as possible for the preimum pay we have. If we just pick up the pace to take pride it probably will work. If we don't then it won't. That my simple analogy. My concern is, we give the giveback, then the banks call the notes, and it goes under in 3,6,12 months. I don't believe the economy is going to improve until 2010-2011. We prolong the ineviditable. There isnt jobs out there now but i have been looking. What I have found is there are $13-$16 per hour jobs out here now. They may not be in 3,6,12 months. I can't quit, nor will I deliberatly to take a pay cut that drastic. Just concerned we are just delaying the inevitable.

I also informed the B.A, about our end of the line terminals having to let freight sat due too the fact we have too many drivers and dockworkers layed off at these terminals. He paused and looked alarmed! I said seriously, it appears to me they are (YRCW) delibertly trying to lose customers. Telling IBT one thing and undermining the company at the same time.

So does voting Yes means NOT taking a stand (considering the "Bullies" on here are branding a yes vote as such?)

I voted Yes. I believe I AM taking a stand. For our Jobs, our Pension, and our Reitirees.
Is there a guarantee that its going to save jobs and pension cause every other company that has done it closed anyway

Is there a guarantee that its going to save jobs and pension cause every other company that has done it closed anyway

Actually, there are still 2 or 3 companies around today that gave back money in the past. I don't have the names offhand, but did see it mentioned somewhere else on the boards. Preston gave back for 5 years before Yellow pulled our plug. The point is, the only thing guaranteed in life is death and taxes, everything else is speculative.
That aside, I can guarantee this, If YRC closes all past, present, and future pensions will be history.

One other point. Many of the other jobs that closed did so in a much better economy than we are facing today. Look around what this economy is doing......
Lehman Bros...gone
AIG....bailout
Big 3 Autos.....seeking bailout
Dupont......cutting 6000 jobs
Jevic.....gone
Conway......closed 40 terminals 1400 workers terminated
Citi Group.......almost closed as recently as last week

We are not just talking mom & pop stores here. These are big companies, with huge numbers of employees.

I voted "NO" just like I did on this garbage contract, with it's out-sourcing of OUR work, and now they want more... hmm imagine that.

Just remember before you cast your ballot, to find your wife's purse and get your NUTS out of there, and start using them again. Don't be held in FEAR! It's alright to be scared and afraid, but don't be a pushover(read alternative word for cat)!

Make a stand and honor our forefathers. What are we men or mice. Is driving a truck the only thing you can do? The sky is not falling.

Here we go, all the tough guys gonna vote no just to be voting no. We wouldn't do anything to help the company now would we. Some people think we all work for the union. Sorry, but the company is the one that employs all of us. You don't work for the Teamsters union. Your paycheck has never come from the union, it comes from the company that you work for. So get your big head out for your butt and think for a change. Vote yes and give this thing a chance. Then if it doesn't work then we can all do something else. But at least give it a chance.

If all is to be fair....

If all is to be fair for both sides and they(YRCW) want to really save, why are they getting bonuses for work when that should be held, Zollars should also take a pay cut for the whole term the same way as us. As far as the stocks being for us, they can decide at the end that they are doing great and enforce their "snap back" and give us or rate again and then we are out of our shares that we may have put into. Correct me if I am wrong and if so I am sorry but this is how I see it is that everybody should take cuts and it should be fair across the board.

If all is to be fair for both sides and they(YRCW) want to really save, why are they getting bonuses for work when that should be held, Zollars should also take a pay cut for the whole term the same way as us. As far as the stocks being for us, they can decide at the end that they are doing great and enforce their "snap back" and give us or rate again and then we are out of our shares that we may have put into. Correct me if I am wrong and if so I am sorry but this is how I see it is that everybody should take cuts and it should be fair across the board.

You should really watch the video linked here http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/yellow-roadway/48739-anyone-missed-their-meeting.html#post478432 It addresses your concerns about whether management is giving back or not, which they are. There's no bonuses, no raises, health and pension, and 401k matches are all frozen. All we give back is 10% of our salary. When looking at 10% for Zollars, it is just spit in the ocean for him, but at least it affects him too.

You should really watch the video linked here http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/yellow-roadway/48739-anyone-missed-their-meeting.html#post478432 It addresses your concerns about whether management is giving back or not, which they are. There's no bonuses, no raises, health and pension, and 401k matches are all frozen. All we give back is 10% of our salary. When looking at 10% for Zollars, it is just spit in the ocean for him, but at least it affects him too.
YRCW is reniging already, Managment cuts are not what they agreed. Man I can't find the link. However there is a internal company email stating, That there cut is for like 6 months if they perform well they will get some bonuses etc. Interesting?? This other post is talking about it entitled: YRC Management has sent out a email about the 10% cuts!

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

YRCW is reniging already, Managment cuts are not what they agreed. Man I can't find the link. However there is a internal company email stating, That there cut is for like 6 months if they perform well they will get some bonuses etc. Interesting?? This other post is talking about it entitled: YRC Management has sent out a email about the 10% cuts!
Yes you are right one of are members had a letter from yrc and it did state that that after 6 months they would go to a 5% cut in pay .

scottman920 said:
Yes you are right one of are members had a letter from yrc and it did state that that after 6 months they would go to a 5% cut in pay .

What you are reffering to is that after June their pay cut will become 5% and they will get back 3% match to their 401k. They are still paying their own medical, they still have frozen pensions, they will not be getting bonuses or raises.

We are only giving back 10% on our wages, and getting the contracted raises each 1st of April (at 10% less). I think this is how they figured that we would all share an equal sacrifice.