FedEx Freight | 2% Raise In October

By that summary, City deserves more pay.
At my site, most drivers hired want to run the road. They have to make drivers go to the city because of the bullshit. You miss out on most things starting at 830 or 9am and working until 7 or 8pm so might as well make the road money. We have a waiting list to transfer to the road.

They are working very hard to achieve that in California, at my domicile the city got a $0.75 raise, which 2.5%. Line haul got a $0.40 raise which 1.12%. The city gets OT after 8 while linehaul gets no OT. Pretty soon, a ten hour day in the city (2 hours OT) will pay more than a 10 hour night on road and people will say why should I go road and work nights.

It’s almost impossible to get 10 hours a day consistently in the city where I’m at and it’s the same with all the other local SoCal centers. It’s WAY more realistic to consistently get 10+ hours doing road since you don’t have dispatch up your ass or watching your hours to avoid OT.

A 10 hour day in the city is not even close to a 10 hour day doing road. For a 10 hour day, road guys still average about $4 more per hour even factoring in the city driver’s OT, which most days he won’t get.

At the rate FedEx is closing the gap it will take 10+ years and even then the road guys will still make more. No doubt the guys on night road bids should get paid more, but there is still too large of a pay gap.

We will never see a shortage of road drivers or a line to transfer to the city board. Some drivers will always choose the road side for various reasons. Road is cake, especially in CA.

Working nights on road wasn’t for me. Working the dock at the hubs being made to maximize my hours and waiting for a kick out. And then the old Saturday morning blues I would get home and the family was ready to go have fun and my ass was dragging the whole day. Then we got some 550+Mile day runs. All day long traffic and delays meet guy always late . Transferred to the city and never regretted anything yes the pay is less but I have my full weekends if I have plans on Friday night with the family I move little faster that day. This is shocking but I do believe road earns their money. I could no longer sit behind the wheel 10 hours a day or work the hubs all hours of the night why my family is home sleeping. We just need to keep putting pressure on Fedex for top pay and benefits in our industry for the road and city and not end up with a pay gap like express and ups package that’s Fred’s dream not ours.

It’s almost impossible to get 10 hours a day consistently in the city where I’m at and it’s the same with all the other local SoCal centers. It’s WAY more realistic to consistently get 10+ hours doing road since you don’t have dispatch up your ass or watching your hours to avoid OT.

A 10 hour day in the city is not even close to a 10 hour day doing road. For a 10 hour day, road guys still average about $4 more per hour even factoring in the city driver’s OT, which most days he won’t get.

At the rate FedEx is closing the gap it will take 10+ years and even then the road guys will still make more. No doubt the guys on night road bids should get paid more, but there is still too large of a pay gap.

We will never see a shortage of road drivers or a line to transfer to the city board. Some drivers will always choose the road side for various reasons. Road is cake, especially in CA.
So you are in agreement with most people that you should make as much money in 40 hrs a week as the road driver does in 65?

Working nights on road wasn’t for me. Working the dock at the hubs being made to maximize my hours and waiting for a kick out. And then the old Saturday morning blues I would get home and the family was ready to go have fun and my ass was dragging the whole day. Then we got some 550+Mile day runs. All day long traffic and delays meet guy always late . Transferred to the city and never regretted anything yes the pay is less but I have my full weekends if I have plans on Friday night with the family I move little faster that day. This is shocking but I do believe road earns their money. I could no longer sit behind the wheel 10 hours a day or work the hubs all hours of the night why my family is home sleeping. We just need to keep putting pressure on Fedex for top pay and benefits in our industry for the road and city and not end up with a pay gap like express and ups package that’s Fred’s dream not ours.
I find it humorous that so many city drivers say our job is easy and we are over paid yet don't transfer to road. Remember I was a city driver for over a decade so I'm not talking out my ass! The money is better but the days are on average are 11 hours plus! 600 mile day runs out of major hubs are almost 14 hours every day because of traffic.

Now the city has it's stresses too. Number pushing management, A hole customers, hand unloads etc!

Bottom line is management wants us fighting amongst ourselves. That way we aren't focused on subpar raises, and below average insurance.

I find it humorous that so many city drivers say our job is easy and we are over paid yet don't transfer to road. Remember I was a city driver for over a decade so I'm not talking out my ass! The money is better but the days are on average are 11 hours plus! 600 mile day runs out of major hubs are almost 14 hours every day because of traffic.

Now the city has it's stresses too. Number pushing management, A hole customers, hand unloads etc!

Bottom line is management wants us fighting amongst ourselves. That way we aren't focused on subpar raises, and below average insurance.
I dont transfer to the road because our runs are short, so you end of on a dock all night. I have no problems with pay because our road drivers put in long days. I think not dealing with customers would have been worth going to the road if i could do it over, but I'm not going to the bottom of the board at this point in my life.

I hope you didn’t think I was saying road was over paid been on the road side before long days/nights you definitely earn your money no bs. I personally couldn’t cut it anymore and went back to the city.

I hope you didn’t think I was saying road was over paid been on the road side before long days/nights you definitely earn your money no bs. I personally couldn’t cut it anymore and went back to the city.
Nah, it's the narrative that management sales the city to put us at each other's throats.
I know they did it to me, and until transferred and put in the long nights, sat on interstate for hours because of wreck, or worked 16 due to weather I believed their b.s.

Nah, it's the narrative that management sales the city to put us at each other's throats.
I know they did it to me, and until transferred and put in the long nights, sat on interstate for hours because of wreck, or worked 16 due to weather I believed their b.s.

I don't think our management could give two ***** whether we work City or Road.

Want nights off and weekends free? Choose City.

Want to NOT deal with customers and be micromanaged during the working hours? Choose Road.

We ALL know a "new" guy going to Road is extraboard and mostly nights.

Those who chose not to do that are City.

Pick your poison.

I don't think our management could give two :::shit:::s whether we work City or Road.

Want nights off and weekends free? Choose City.

Want to NOT deal with customers and be micromanaged during the working hours? Choose Road.

We ALL know a "new" guy going to Road is extraboard and mostly nights.

Those who chose not to do that are City.

Pick your poison.
That's not what I was implying. They don't want us united. Getting along. Having each others back. Etc etc etc etc etc

By that summary, City deserves more pay.
They’re working on that. City raises have been twice as much as road last two or three years. RC&Co will say it again....
In ten years road will make less than city. No one will want to work nights on shuttles, they’ll have to go to one board, eventually a one board daily hog board for city and road combined. What a ::shit:: show that will be.

They’re working on that. City raises have been twice as much as road last two or three years. RC&Co will say it again....
In ten years road will make less than city. No one will want to work nights on shuttles, they’ll have to go to one board, eventually a one board daily hog board for city and road combined. What a :::shit::: show that will be.
Yep they are really screwing up right now, or are they. If they keep us divided never have to worry about the big U word anymore...Your right there is no incentive to go to road anymore if you have any time in the city. I spend over 10 years in the city. I looked at the road as a promotion with a catch. When I first came out it was guaranteed nights and any weekend work you were forced on, but it was a nice raise.

The city you work 8-12 hours and go home. If you break down they tow you in and you go home. 90 percent of city work is days...
Road 75 percent of runs are 10 hours plus. Some have dock work too. You break down on road or your meet guy is late or doesn't make it. It's 14-16 hour day or a hotel.... The road has always been the better paying of the two with strings attached, and I believe it should stay that way. I'm not saying that because I am a road driver. Remember I was a city driver for over 10 years. You have to keep people motivated. Something to strive for to provide a better life for their families, and after years on road get a sweet little day run..

If both boards make the same there will be no incentive to sacrifice time away from your family at night to transfer to the road, and you'll end up with a bunch of flunkies that call out ever Friday and Monday, or get FMLA for ingrown toe nails, or run to HR anytime someone in management gets on to them for not loading something right or not doing their job.

Oh wait that's happening now... Hey corporate get control of your work force THE RIGHT WAY! Not with the Goons you used from 2010-2014. Oh and I've had enough of the 1 percent raises for the road!

Be safe all...