XPO | 2 Soup...

Well if you have the balls do what i do,tell your T.M. you are going to call G.O. an if he don't take of it CALL.The call is free an yes at times i need to call, an it works.

Rule 1....Take care of your people, they take care of you...
All other rules, refer to rule 1...

That statement is so true! You always get more from your employee that way.
However, in regards to the severe cold weather we have, It's unfortunate that rule one is not always followed.

I tip my hat to you guys and gals for doing a thankless job in the bitter cold,remember the kid in A Christmas story the one with Darren McGavin, I would be the one in the snow suit:biglaugh:

this is the part of the year when your hourly rate does'nt **** us warm hillbillys off. i think i'll wear my shorts today.

Rule 1....Take care of your people, they take care of you...
All other rules, refer to rule 1...

Only one problem with this .

Fewer and fewer are becoming less able to afford
the way in which CNW , other companies , and the
U.S. government are , " taking care of " them.

Just4Thought

Only one problem with this .

Fewer and fewer are becoming less able to afford
the way in which CNW , other companies , and the
U.S. government are , " taking care of " them.

Just4Thought

Take this one to your barn for the suggestion box....

I know very few people who don't like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese...For about 25 bucks, we fed over a hundred people in the service center one day, and they loved it..!!! Do you have any idea how much Mac and Cheese you can make for 25 bucks..?!?!?
And Pancake breakfasts are the cheapest date in the world...you can make 400 pancakes for about 25 dollars...

I know very few people who don't like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese...For about 25 bucks, we fed over a hundred people in the service center one day, and they loved it..!!! Do you have any idea how much Mac and Cheese you can make for 25 bucks..?!?!?
And Pancake breakfasts are the cheapest date in the world...you can make 400 pancakes for about 25 dollars...

NOW THERE IS AN IDEA!!!

How about a company wide "FEED THE HUNGRY" campaign!

Not for the recognition...not for any reason than it is just the right thing to do....

OH SH*T!!!...I forgot we don't want to support our employees in the armed services (think DM and Barbara Walters) let alone do what is socially and corporately responsible.:Zzzz:

Sorry...My Bad:loser:

Rat

We had the "single digit and below" rule.
  • Hot Chili
  • Hot Knorr Soups (Variety)
  • Hot Dogs (with all the fixings)
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Hot Tea
  • Hot Coffee

We also passed out hand warmer and foot warmer packets.

...We usually got a heads up from G.O when to provide hot food and drinks, otherwise our TM went above and beyond the call of duty for the drivers.

I am sure every barn has hot coffee, tea and chocolate, but can I transfer to get the dogs? I hope it's down south where their rule is the 60 degree rule.:clap: I remember the days at XSN when we had soup from a can, then it went packets. I guess that was better than nothing. I would know though, because I hated the taste of instant soup.

NOW THERE IS AN IDEA!!!

How about a company wide "FEED THE HUNGRY" campaign!

Not for the recognition...not for any reason than it is just the right thing to do....

OH SH*T!!!...I forgot we don't want to support our employees in the armed services (think DM and Barbara Walters) let alone do what is socially and corporately responsible.:Zzzz:

Sorry...My Bad:loser:

Rat

Huh..?? Barbara Walters..??

I must be missing your point....We were lauded by that show for what we DO for our employees...

If you will remember after DM explained what Con-Way was doing to support our members in the armed forces (which by the way is very commendable) he went on to rant about the cost and suggested the government should be picking up some of the cost because of multiple deployments.

While this may be true, it ended the interview on a sour note. IMHO it left us looking like a greedy mega corporation complaining about the cost of supporting those defending our country and its interests.

I think it could have went better....

Rat :USA:

If you will remember after DM explained what Con-Way was doing to support our members in the armed forces (which by the way is very commendable) he went on to rant about the cost and suggested the government should be picking up some of the cost because of multiple deployments.

While this may be true, it ended the interview on a sour note. IMHO it left us looking like a greedy mega corporation complaining about the cost of supporting those defending our country and its interests.

I think it could have went better....

Rat :USA:

Ok...your opinion...What I remember most about it were the companies that don't do a damn thing...huge mega profit companies...But Dave was right, and it's something he has been fighting for in DC...The government puts all these rules on companies regarding military service, then doesn't want to do anything to assist companies with taking care of the families..What those guys do is the most honorable thing you can do, yet are treated like 2nd class citizens by our government...we weren't looking for a cash handout, we are fighting to get those companies that are doing something a tax credit for doing it...that ain't alot to ask, and it was done in the context of Lesley Stahl asking him why more companies don't do what we do...I understand your feelings about DM, that's fine, but in this case, he did the right thing, and did it well...
Sorry to go off, but this was one of the more positive things for our company to come down the pipe in quite a while, and I get irritated anytime someone tries to put a negative spin on it..You gotta take your positives where you can get them..

I sure wish you would e-mail my SCM and tell him that.We don't have cook outs anymore. If he had cookouts it would cut into his numbers too much.:Flame-On:

I sure wish you would e-mail my SCM and tell him that.We don't have cook outs anymore. If he had cookouts it would cut into his numbers too much.:Flame-On:

Keep in mind the SCMs and the RMs are getting more mandates from XGO than you or I can comprehend. They are on the bubble much more than us. I wouldn't have (not that it will ever be offered) a SCM or FOS position shoved you know where in this company as it currently stands.

Imagine how they feel. They have dedicated years to their careers and have attained some form of success just to watch it be scrutinized to the point of ridiculous by the corporate honchos.

As BoxB said 'take care of your people and they will take care of you'. This unfortunately has for the time being went by the wayside. And I emphasize 'time being' as I feel we are in for another leadership change in the near future.

We need leadership change. We need someone at the helm who is not reactionary but rather has a vision for the company and the abilities to pull it off.

Rat:popcorn:

Keep in mind the SCMs and the RMs are getting more mandates from XGO than you or I can comprehend. They are on the bubble much more than us. I wouldn't have (not that it will ever be offered) a SCM or FOS position shoved you know where in this company as it currently stands.

Imagine how they feel. They have dedicated years to their careers and have attained some form of success just to watch it be scrutinized to the point of ridiculous by the corporate honchos.

As BoxB said 'take care of your people and they will take care of you'. This unfortunately has for the time being went by the wayside. And I emphasize 'time being' as I feel we are in for another leadership change in the near future.

We need leadership change. We need someone at the helm who is not reactionary but rather has a vision for the company and the abilities to pull it off.

Rat:popcorn:

Nah, tough times simply calls for a little creativity...I used the Mac and Cheese as an example..The guy who can do it has to want to do it..If not, all the ideas in the world won't matter...

Ok...your opinion...What I remember most about it were the companies that don't do a damn thing...huge mega profit companies...But Dave was right, and it's something he has been fighting for in DC...The government puts all these rules on companies regarding military service, then doesn't want to do anything to assist companies with taking care of the families..What those guys do is the most honorable thing you can do, yet are treated like 2nd class citizens by our government...we weren't looking for a cash handout, we are fighting to get those companies that are doing something a tax credit for doing it...that ain't alot to ask, and it was done in the context of Lesley Stahl asking him why more companies don't do what we do...I understand your feelings about DM, that's fine, but in this case, he did the right thing, and did it well...
Sorry to go off, but this was one of the more positive things for our company to come down the pipe in quite a while, and I get irritated anytime someone tries to put a negative spin on it..You gotta take your positives where you can get them..

Agreed.

I am not trying to put a negative spin on what Con-way is doing to support our member in arms...

My point is DM said entirely too much. Con-Way is doing in spades what other companies won't even consider...hell, there are even lawsuits just trying to get entities to do what is required by law. If as you say he is fighting on Capitol Hill to get things changed the I will applaud him here and eat some crow if necessary(damn good with Sam Adams Lite BTW.)

Point is that John Q Oublic hasn't a clue about what actually happens behind the scenes. They only know what they see on the news or in this case 60 minutes. DM should have quit long B4 the statements regarding the responsibility of the government to ease the strain on various companies supporting troops. We are in the fight of our lives to stay afloat and come out of this economy as a viable and productive company.

Anything slightly negative viewed by the public can hurt us in ways we may not recover from.

As an SCM perhaps a 'FEED THE HUNGRY' campaign mentioned to GO may get us back on track. Employees giving their time to help the less fortunate...I think it a hell of a good idea....:clap::clap:

Rat :smilie_132: